Show Us Your Kiridashi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Backsides

1678683466317.jpeg

Thank you! Yes, I ended up wrapping it last night actually. It's a Hitachi Blue Super Steel core laminated with 1035 High Tensile Spring Steel by Taylor Shields.

Here is what it looked like prior to it being wrapped.

View attachment 231981
View attachment 231982
Looks much nicer without the wrap IMO. You might also try sharpening to a zero edge while giving the bevel a nice little polish.

I agree, it does look better without the wrap. I was curious what it would look and feel like with a wrap on it.

It's a nice knot / weave / pattern you've done though. I think the same thing but using thinner material would be excellent.

Don't think I posted this, but a little while back I finally managed to get my hands on an iron clad kiri when @ethompson relented and let me have his. Made by Tsunesaburo and as featured on spangly stone website Atelier Tennen Toishi. Not the dirtiest cladding in the world, but certainly has some feature and I think is rather pretty.

He sent it with one of the most extraordinary high-mirror finishes I've ever seen off a natural stone, which was a little bit of a shame to get rid of. But looks pretty smart off an Uchi too (also courtesy of my main man E-Dawg).

IMG-8076.jpg

IMG-8074.jpg

IMG-8069.jpg

Last edited:
I was in a local shop earlier purchasing some Campari*, whereupon I felt something sharp poking me in the leg through my bag. It seemed I had lost the little cardboard saya I made for my 'edc' kiridashi.

No matter though! Because as luck would have it my new bottle of Campari came with a small, repurposeable, cocktail recipe booklet attached around the neck. I believe this is what the internet people call a 'life hack':

IMG-8206.jpg

IMG-8207.jpg

* It's a bank holiday here, I don't just nail negronis every Monday afternoon. Unfortunately.

Here's another thing I got recently.

For some reason kanna were on my mind one day, so I had a little look on ebay. Now kanna effectively never come up on UK ebay, I assume because the cheap and easy availability of good quality Sheffield tools would make anyone using a Japanese plane appear wilfully pretentious and recherche in woodowrking circles here. But whaddya know... someone selling random house clearance items had one going cheap, ending in three minutes, and without a single bid. So I took that as a sign and snapped it up.

I couldn't tell at all from the pics what condition it was in or whether it was wrought clad, which is what I wanted really, because I don't use hand planes that much at all tbh. But again god was smiling on me. So I now have this quite cool, hefty, 72mm kanna, complete with a pretty smart dai.

(It's so nice that I might even try to learn about how to make it work properly!)

IMG-8044 (1).jpg

IMG-7404 (1).jpg

IMG-8209.jpg

Last edited:

For some reason kanna were on my mind one day, so I had a little look on ebay. Now kanna effectively never come up on UK ebay, I assume because the cheap and easy availability of good quality Sheffield tools would make anyone using a Japanese plane appear wilfully pretentious and recherche in woodowrking circles. But whaddya know... someone selling random house clearance items had one going cheap, ending in three minutes, and without a single bid. So I took that as a sign and snapped it up.

I couldn't tell at all from the pics what condition it was in or whether it was wrought clad, which is what I wanted really, because I don't use hand planes that much at all tbh. But again god was smiling on me. So I now have this quite cool, hefty, 72mm kanna, complete with a pretty smart dai.

(It's so nice that I might even try to learn about how to make it work properly!)

View attachment 245943

View attachment 245942

View attachment 245941
What a score

Ah, I remember using Japanese planes, years ago.

Step 1: Spend hours and days tuning everything just right, until you can make a consistent shaving as wide as the blade, and thinner than paper.
Step 2: Oops, the weather changed, start over

Haha! I suspect this plane was being used relatively recently, so was hoping it might be relatively simple to get going again. But sounds like that might not be the case then.

Oh well, I wanted it for stone testing really so won't be too upset if I can't set it up. It certainly gets very sharp though, I've already managed to slice my hand open just from picking it up about a week ago.

What a score

It's quite cool isn't it, I was a happy bunny when I unwrapped that one. Nice stroke of luck.

For some reason kanna were on my mind one day, so I had a little look on ebay. Now kanna effectively never come up on UK ebay, I assume because the cheap and easy availability of good quality Sheffield tools would make anyone using a Japanese plane appear wilfully pretentious and recherche in woodowrking circles. But whaddya know... someone selling random house clearance items had one going cheap, ending in three minutes, and without a single bid. So I took that as a sign and snapped it up.

View attachment 245943

View attachment 245942

View attachment 245941
Both the blade and the dai on this are stunning, congrats!

When you see the horrible chips in this awesome kiridashi from Robin Dalman, you can imagine it would like to feel cared for.

Really? I must confess I've chipped and scuffed the edges of kiri a fair bit worse than that, just through normal use. 😬😬😬

It's a stunning knife though for sure! (@RDalman - if you're gonna make any similar to that in the future just give me a shout, yeah?)

Last edited:

When you see the horrible chips in this awesome kiridashi from Robin Dalman, you can imagine it would like to feel cared for.

(Or actually - was that a joke that I didn't get? Duh!)

I've discovered the ultimate and perfect use for Kiri's. Re-tipping billiard cues. The asymmetric grind and sharpness make them ideal for trimming the overhang on a new leather cue tip.

That is my public service announcement of the day.

Really? I must confess I've chipped and scuffed the edges of kiri a fair bit worse than that, just through normal use. 😬😬😬

It's a stunning knife though for sure! (@RDalman - if you're gonna make any similar to that in the future just give me a shout, yeah?)
hehe.. yes, you're right, bad things happen ;)
Actually, the chips were much worse a week ago. It seems like "normal" sharpening sessions are getting rid of them slowly but surely.

Inclusions showed up out of nowhere and gouged out a stone.

I've had this on kiri occasionally, and yeah - it's bloody annoying! Though my assumption has been that it's coming from the start of the bevel, i.e. the shinogi where the rougher KU forge scale meets the polished cladding. But do you reckon that on yours it's inclusions in the 'middle' of the cladding...?

Last edited:
Back