Show us your sink go too's.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's my sink go too's, right to left.

IMG_0376.jpg

Hidden on the right of the rack is a 140 and 220 diamond plate for flattening.

On the rack.

Chosera 400
Nubatama Platinum 1K
Shapton glass 2k
King 8K
Shapton Glass 16k

On the glass plate.

DMT blue slurry stone
Med and fine rust erasers
Naniwa slurry stone
Meara JNat
Another JNat which I cant remember the name.

The King 8K and Shapton 16k see daily use as touchup stones.

Last edited:
What do you use the 16k stone for most often? I'd be interested in hearing more about the Nubatama Platinum 1k too.

Unfortunately the SG16k is the only stone I have in that grit range so cant compare it to anything else. That said, I can offer the following observations.

Its hard, a splash and go, no mud, and feels pretty much like a Shapton Glass stone.
When I got it, I though it would just polish or burnish. As it turns out, it's a pretty aggressive sharpening stone pulling a lot of dark gray on every pass.
The edge it leaves is super keen and while a 16K, it still has bite which both surprised and delighted me. I have a ton of stones, most of which I would not replace if lost. The SG16K is one of the few exceptions.

What knives do you use it on, though? I use mine on scissors once in a while, but I never use it on kitchen knives.

----

I don't have a pic atm, but my own knives are usually finished no Gesshin 2k or 4k. Client knives usually start on either SG 120/220 or Sigma 240 (if they're in real bad shape) or Chosera 400 if not, and finish on Chosera 800. Recently I've been experimenting with Sigma 400/1000 too instead of the Chosera stones. I also sometimes use Gesshin 3k s&g for final deburring, in addition to stropping on cardboard. Atoma 140 and/or sandpaper on the counter for flattening. Uchimugori for the occasional fancy polish. Maybe I'll edit this to include a pic tomorrow.

Last edited:
Nubatama 1K Platinum.

There are two versions of the stone. Normal and a hard version. I have the normal. Compared to other stones, its not as hard as a Chosera or Shapton Glass, but harder than something like a King. It dishes slowly.

Its not a splash and go, but its not really a soaker either. Its more like a run water over it for 15 seconds and go type stone.

Load up is not bad. Not as good as the Chosera but better than the Shapton Glass.

Its bigger than most stones making it very easy to sharpen on.

Feel wise, where something like a Chosera is smooth and velvety, the Platinum is much more raw. Like comparing a BMW to a twin turbo muscle car. Maybe something like an evolved King 1k. I find it good fun to sharpen on.

Speed wise its faster than the Chosera 800 and Shapton Glass 1K.

I've not tried it for Kasumi finishes so cant comment there.

The edge it leaves is pretty aggressive, more in line with the Shapton Glass 1K than something like the Chosera 800.

Out of the stack of 1K stones I got on my journey to find the perfect 1K, the Platinum 1K is hand down my favorite. I pretty much stopped buying 1K's after getting it.

Last edited:
As it turns out, it's a pretty aggressive sharpening stone pulling a lot of dark gray on every pass.
What is your progression like before SG 16k? Do you jump from the Shapton Glass 2k to the Shapton Glass 16k? Or is the jump too big and you still use stones between the two?

progression like before SG 16k?

When I use the 16K, I progress from the King 8K ( I often stop with the King 8k btw ) but.....

The SG16k is fast so just for giggles and inspired by your question, I took a 6" carbon knife at 64 rockwell, sharpened it down with the SG2K and then directly back up to the SG16k skipping the K8k. Took about a minute to get back to SG16k from the SG2k edge. Maybe 2k 16k will be the new 1k 6k :)
One thing to keep in mind here is my knives are pretty close to zero grinds so there was not a huge bevel to contend with in this experiment.

When I use the 16K, I progress from the King 8K ( I often stop with the King 8k btw ) but.....

The SG16k is fast so just for giggles and inspired by your question, I took a 6" carbon knife at 64 rockwell, sharpened it down with the SG2K and then directly back up to the SG16k skipping the K8k. Took about a minute to get back to SG16k from the SG2k edge. Maybe 2k 16k will be the new 1k 6k :)
One thing to keep in mind here is my knives are pretty close to zero grinds so there was not a huge bevel to contend with in this experiment.
Thank you for trying it out.

I have often read that the SG 16k is intended for the jump from the SG 2k. So far I have been missing practical proof ... now I have it. Unfortunately, this makes the stone interesting for me ... ;)

Here's my end of the kitchen. The wife just couldn't be more approving of the whole thing if she tried.

Suehiro and King in the bucket, Naniwa, Maruoyama, and a feck load of slates.

(My bag may also be helping to hide more slates.)

IMG-2935.JPG

Last edited:
Either my chosera 800, my aoto, or my tenjyou suita. Depending on what sort of edge I want.

Oh yes. Perfection.

I've never tried slate. I do have some natural's I've found walking about that work surprisingly well but I've not tried slate. Thanks for the inspiration !!!
I think if I remember correctly a lot of jnats are slate. I could be wrong though.

Oh yes. Perfection.

I've never tried slate. I do have some natural's I've found walking about that work surprisingly well but I've not tried slate. Thanks for the inspiration !!!

Give it a go if ever you come across some. These are very hard, very fine, and only have a very small amount of actual abrasive power. But with a bit of practice can be used very well, especially if you're after quite a refined edge.

The ones here are all largely similar, you'd only need one really. There's just loads of slate where I live and I enjoy trying them out. Most of these I will be giving away.

Have you ever thought about a bigger bag? :cool:

Ha! Yes possibly.

(To be fair I'm perhaps doing my wife a disservice here... she actually went out and bought that table a couple of weeks ago as 'somewhere for you to keep your babies.' And as a rather magnanimous gesture of goodwill I have also allowed her to put some flowers on it. Even though they do rather detract from the sheer aesthetic appeal of my slate collection.)

Last edited:
Ha! Yes possibly.

(To be fair I'm perhaps doing my wife a disservice here... she actually went out and bought that table a couple of weeks ago as 'somewhere for you to keep your babies.' And as a rather magnanimous gesture of goodwill I have also allowed her to put some flowers on it. Even though they do rather detract from the sheer aesthetic appeal of my slate collection.)

I salute your wife’s understanding and am thoroughly envious of your uncompromisingly Australian approach to functional interior design. Not sure if it be so well received in my household admittedly - I’d suspect that concerned busybodies neighbours would be reporting me for assembling some kind of ingenious device for terminating toddlers and small animals, in the style of a live action reboot of the vintage boardgame, Mousetrap.

Back