Show us your Steak Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry

Reaction score
Does have a good steak knife or other knife converted to steak knife? The Japanese steak knives I have seen has a slim profile. Kind of like a petty. I did not find this very good for steaks. I was looking for years for good steak knife and ended up experimenting with different profiles and have come to the conclusion that the best profile is that of a skinner hunting knife or a Argentinian gaucho knife. I could not find a Japanese blacksmith who made anything close so I took a Kijiwara Ku Santoku and reground the profile. It looks a little goofy but works like a dream. I can cut most steaks surgically with one forward motion. The tall profile and the curve at the tip allows for this. Once I figured out the perfect profile, I was thinking about getting one custom made. I think I am getting close with this knife. I am still experimenting with the grind. The core steel is a blue #2.

Does anyone have an opinion or a suggestion on what would make the best steak knife?

Attachments

• IMG_1839.JPG
    IMG_1839.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 171
I'm using Opinel 8 for my steak knife. I can't find a 1 piece steak knife that worth the money.

I would agree. Most are basically a petty. I find that is not a good profile for a thick steak. I can see your Opinel working better as it has that curvature at the tip. I have re-ground some of my cheap hunting knives to figure out the best profile. It seems the some height in the bade is required for the curvature to cut with one forward motion. It just feels good. I also got a wooden plate to put my steak on.

Gyuto? I have considered re-grinding a Denka to make a steak knife...until it dawned on me that I would be re-grinding a Denka.

I have a dream one day to go to the man himself with a sketch of my dream steak knife and have him forge the blade for me.

I think using a steak knife is a different experience as you are at the other end of cooking. It is here where you are in the mode to relax and enjoy. Having a great knife in your hand with good cut of beef and company is somewhat of a different experience.

Same here although it's an Opinel 9. Do you use the stainless or the carbon one?

Stainless, It's much easier to maintain and I don't want any off flavour on my steak/chicken from the carbon steel. It also comes with olivewood handle (the reason why I bought it)

+1 on using the Opinels. I prefer a carbon 6 but mix it up with the others frequently

I'm trying the Carbone sooner or later but, Lee Valley is the only place I could find one now locally.

Opinel No. 9 and Wüsthof steak knife for me. They both work, nothing much to be said (other than that the Opinel is way cheaper).

I use one of those laguiole like the ones michi linked. Soft, thick, high tip, works well. Imo anything with an actual edge is a big enough improvement that I'm happy with it. And those are surprisingly hard to come by, most are serrated or basically a butter knife

Opinel fan here. Have a bunch. I have parers in carbon and stainless; also stainless and carbon no 8’s; great size. All work well for dinners. Not very fancy but take an acute edge easily and you don’t worry about cutting into a piece of meat on a ceramic plate.

Attachments

• EB8D1743-0BE1-4350-97AC-C4B72C984DC9.jpeg
    EB8D1743-0BE1-4350-97AC-C4B72C984DC9.jpeg
    17 KB · Views: 79
  • 571E3952-976D-4DBA-BD8B-9576F890A1C8.jpeg
    571E3952-976D-4DBA-BD8B-9576F890A1C8.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 89
I tend to buy antique mora fixed blades, clean up, sharpen and use.
And for good measure I have a few hankotsus and some opined olive wood steak knives for when the girlfriend demands uniform appearance on the table

We had steaks the other night. My wife used a #7 Opinel on my suggestion and I used my 52100 Howard Clark. Eating steak with a sharp knife is a special pleasure. If I'm at a restaurant, I usually use a pocket knife as the restaurant steak knives have never in my experience been anywhere near sharp enough.

DSCN1973.JPG

Back