Show us your sticks (finished handle projects)...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished a couple of projects lately....

Finally undertook my first TF yo-handle. Yes, I see what all the angst is about. The tang thickness varied dramatically. and the bolster was uneven. Though I tried to grind it away with a file, I couldnt get thickness completely uniform. I used the black g10 handle liner trick to minimize the visibiity, but I still know it is there, Both the handle scales and the saya are fashioned from buckeye burl. I filled some of the voids and inclusions with a contrasting resin, ala @cotedupy. All and all, a very challenging project!

View attachment 232500

For the Two Sticks, used stabilized curly maple and spalted sycamore. Both woods are very nice to work with. They cut very well and finish beautifully. Don't know how well it comes out in the picture, but I was experimenting with a different handle shape. It has a swell in the grip area, but is chamfered like an octagonal. I find it to be extremely comfortable to use, and the angle facets index your grip very securely.

View attachment 232501

I can't take credit for this handle. This knife came with a JoBone handle that I like, so I just tried to match it with a saya. I wasnt sure what woods Joe used, so I chose padauk and desert ironwood. Once the finish went on, I realized that he probably used Patagonian rosewood. Meh....still looks cool. Good enough for my work bag!

View attachment 232502

Stunning as always!

Various resins

View attachment 171107
View attachment 171106
View attachment 171105
View attachment 171104

Ebony and lapis lazuli
View attachment 171102

View attachment 171103

Ebony and Serpentine
View attachment 171100View attachment 171101

Maple burl, dyed/stabilized
View attachment 171099

Almost resembles a tiger's face, eh? I thought it was just me, but a lot of people seem to notice the resemblance.
View attachment 171098
Plain ebony and copper, but I went for a stippled look on the pin faces and front of the spacer.
View attachment 171113

View attachment 171108

Amboyna burl and lapis lazuli
View attachment 171114

Resin handles aren't for everyone, some find them a little loud, though I've noticed a stunning number of converts among people who have been entranced by them. To paraphrase that old grouch: "If you gaze long into a resin handle, the resin handle shall also gaze into you"
View attachment 171109

Cherry on the left, toasted oak and ebony on the right
View attachment 171110
View attachment 171111

Stabilized amboyna burl
View attachment 171112
Glitter in clear resin exhibiting a holographic effect in low light
View attachment 171115

My crowning jewel, dyed maple burl with a facetted butt
View attachment 171116

View attachment 171117

Something I didn't know when I made these posts last year was that there are a wide variety of stone powder/epoxy composites available that closely resemble stone (TruStone for instance). @Ruppertsreef 's question brought it to mind. So, I feel I should mention that the lapis lazuli and serpentine contained in the 3 of these handles that incorporates them is not a composite of any kind, but the real thing. They're solid (homogenous) stone spacers, carefully cut and reinforced.

Kingwood and red palm
Cocobolo and ash
Figured walnut and purpleheart

Attachments

• FFE85A4B-142F-42E9-9506-36BEA3FEB009.jpeg
    FFE85A4B-142F-42E9-9506-36BEA3FEB009.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • E2AC4F60-D307-4642-A96A-FB06B01EF7E8.jpeg
    E2AC4F60-D307-4642-A96A-FB06B01EF7E8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 184D9998-FFB9-4C99-8823-4359A9E1EEF0.jpeg
    184D9998-FFB9-4C99-8823-4359A9E1EEF0.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Nice work! I think these are the most challenging of all handle refits.
Thanks! Even with the little experience that I have working on knife handles I'm pretty sure that's correct. This was a practice run before I tackle an older Tojiro of similar style handle.

I got this knife from @Andrei Markin a while back. He was kind enough to send it out handleless, at my request. His handle work is stellar, so I was determined to equip it with an outfit that is worthy of the blade he created for me. I finished this ages ago and have been using it at work. Just had it out to whip up some food for lunch and realized that I had never taken any pictures of it, so I snapped a few.

The handle is cypress burl, with a brass faceplate and white/red g10 spacers. I picked up the same theme in the saya......

View attachment 218353View attachment 218354
This is so freakin nice.

I am stuck at home without a car today, so I had time to do the last bit of work on a couple of my knives..

A bit ago, @Brian Weekley was good enough to sell me an early Nakagawa ginsan 240. A great cutter, that deserved a new outfit to look equally great. The knife cam with a horn ferule that had a bit of a streak in it, so I repurposed that in a new handle fashioned out of stabilized cherry burl. I added a spacers in brass, black and white g10. The saya is carved in nicely figured cherry, with an inlay of the cherry burl, brass and g10.
20230508_150955.jpg
20230508_151003.jpg
20230508_151029.jpg

I have been playing with different handle shapes, and I am liking this design for the Koishi honesuki. The handle body is made from stabilized buckeye burl and features g10 and dyed stabilized cypress burl spacers. The spalted, curly maple saya picks up the colors of the handle, and has an inlay of the handle wood materials.

20230509_094738_HDR.jpg
20230509_094807_HDR.jpg
20230509_094815_HDR.jpg

I am stuck at home without a car today, so I had time to do the last bit of work on a couple of my knives..

A bit ago, @Brian Weekley was good enough to sell me an early Nakagawa ginsan 240. A great cutter, that deserved a new outfit to look equally great. The knife cam with a horn ferule that had a bit of a streak in it, so I repurposed that in a new handle fashioned out of stabilized cherry burl. I added a spacers in brass, black and white g10. The saya is carved in nicely figured cherry, with an inlay of the cherry burl, brass and g10.View attachment 242264View attachment 242265View attachment 242266

I have been playing with different handle shapes, and I am liking this design for the Koishi honesuki. The handle body is made from stabilized buckeye burl and features g10 and dyed stabilized cypress burl spacers. The spalted, curly maple saya picks up the colors of the handle, and has an inlay of the handle wood materials.

View attachment 242267View attachment 242268View attachment 242269
That Saya dude.... nice.

A bit ago, @Brian Weekley was good enough to sell me an early Nakagawa ginsan 240. A great cutter, that deserved a new outfit to look equally great. The knife cam with a horn ferule that had a bit of a streak in it, so I repurposed that in a new handle fashioned out of stabilized cherry burl. I added a spacers in brass, black and white g10. The saya is carved in nicely figured cherry, with an inlay of the cherry burl, brass and g10.View attachment 242264View attachment 242265View attachment 242266

Gorgeous work, as always

I dig that shape for a petty

Nice look! How is the resulting balance with the ebony?
Good question, I need to check actually I'm not sure. I'd imagine it's barely in front of the ferrule now. Normally I taper handles width-wise a good bit more than standard Wa's, which helps with the denser woods, but this person wanted a very traditional shape

Back