Show us your sticks (finished handle projects)...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another wee bit of experimentation today...

I'd wanted to get a way of getting some of my beloved blue epoxy into a handle made from the very dark winemaking oak staves I use sometimes, but it hadn't really worked the couple of times I'd tried. This is better.

I made a handle blank from the oak and sawed the end off for a 'ferrule', then used beer bottle tops* to cast some epoxy:

IMG_1780.jpg

Popped them out, and used the blue one as a spacer between the two bits of the handle:

IMG_1789.jpg

Sand shape polish &c. and I think this will make a pretty cool handle...

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

*Other casting methods are available, but the best ideas certainly come after a couple of beers.

Last edited:
And to demonstrate my sentiment above here's one I did yesterday for my new Leung Tim Slicer using Spotted Gum for the first time, which turn out to be not the most interesting of woods. Spacer is from a piece of cast epoxy coloured with blue eyeshadow (we've gone into hard lockdown here and I forgot my mica powder when escaping to the beach house.) Not my best effort, but hey ho.

IMG_1824.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful wood, and really like those spacers! What do you use for them?

(I also like the way the angle of the photo makes it look like you're about to light up a nice robusto ;))
Thanks! The white and black are both paper micarta, and the blue is g10. Haha I have a ringed gidgee "cigar" on my Martell gyuto. Almost broke my teeth trying to bite the end off.

Awesome thread...

My only disappointment - since you are calling handles 'sticks', how come the title isn't something like: "Show us your stick pics (finished handle projects)..."

Awesome thread...

My only disappointment - since you are calling handles 'sticks', how come the title isn't something like: "Show us your stick pics (finished handle projects)..."

Damn! I hadn't thought of that until you mentioned... Now every time I look at this thread I will remember the missed opportunity ;)

Another wee bit of experimentation today...

I'd wanted to get a way of getting some of my beloved blue epoxy into a handle made from the very dark winemaking oak staves I use sometimes, but it hadn't really worked the couple of times I'd tried. This is better.

I made a handle blank from the oak and sawed the end off for a 'ferrule', then used beer bottle tops* to cast some epoxy:

View attachment 102402

Popped them out, and used the blue one as a spacer between the two bits of the handle:

View attachment 102403

Sand shape polish &c. and I think this will make a pretty cool handle...

View attachment 102405

View attachment 102408

*Other casting methods are available, but the best ideas certainly come after a couple of beers.

what kind of epoxy is that?

what kind of epoxy is that?

I use Araldite 5 min clear epoxy which I colour with mica powder. (And the same epoxy for the installs, tho James from KnS gave me some hot glue pellets recently, so I may move onto those for the future.)

I use Araldite 5 min clear epoxy which I colour with mica powder. (And the same epoxy for the installs, tho James from KnS gave me some hot glue pellets recently, so I may move onto those for the future.)
Great, thanks

James from KnS gave me some hot glue pellets recently, so I may move onto those for the future.

For the spacer? Or installing the handle?

All the hot glue (a.k.a 'hot snot') I have used has been convenient for semi-permanent joints - tacking things together. Joints that don't take much of a shear force. It is a convenience... there are usually better glues. I don't have a huge amount of confidence in it as a durable resin-like substitute. I wouldnt use it as a spacer - but perhaps there are better hot glues out there than the ones I have used....

For the spacer? Or installing the handle?

All the hot glue (a.k.a 'hot snot') I have used has been convenient for semi-permanent joints - tacking things together. Joints that don't take much of a shear force. It is a convenience... there are usually better glues. I don't have a huge amount of confidence in it as a durable resin-like substitute. I wouldnt use it as a spacer - but perhaps there are better hot glues out there than the ones I have used....

Ah sorry yeah I meant trying it for the install, not for casting a spacer.

Interesting what you say. I'll try it on something cheap of my own then before doing any for friends. I think James might've said to possibly use a bit of epoxy at the end for added sturdiness. Maybe better for fancier slicing knives than everyday ones by the sound of it too (?)

A couple that I just finished. I think there is one repeat in there, so sorry for that. First 2 are maple burl with dyed curly maple ferrule, the second is an unknown wood that I grabbed from the discount bin (What a score....$6 and enough for 4-6 handles) at the local Woodcraft store, with copper spacer and horn ferrule

20201208_124041.jpg
20201208_124102.jpg

This second pair is pyinma burl with blond horn. The other is box elder burl and dark horn ferrule

20201208_124140.jpg

20201208_124155.jpg

I made this one for my new Kemadi, it is stabilized sindora burl with stainless steel and g-10 spacers

20201208_124708.jpg

This last one is dyed cypress burl and Mountain ash ferrule, with stainless and g-10 spacers

20201208_124800.jpg

A couple that I just finished. I think there is one repeat in there, so sorry for that. First 2 are maple burl with dyed curly maple ferrule, the second is an unknown wood that I grabbed from the discount bin (What a score....$6 and enough for 4-6 handles) at the local Woodcraft store, with copper spacer and horn ferrule

View attachment 105602View attachment 105603

This second pair is pyinma burl with blond horn. The other is box elder burl and dark horn ferrule

View attachment 105604

View attachment 105605

I made this one for my new Kemadi, it is stabilized sindora burl with stainless steel and g-10 spacers

View attachment 105606

This last one is dyed cypress burl and Mountain ash ferrule, with stainless and g-10 spacers

View attachment 105607

Smart stuff mate! Beautiful wood, and the spacer work's pretty swish :)

Put one of mine pictured above onto a knife at the weekend. Doing this kind of mega-heavy epoxy infil takes a bit of a knack (the final picture shows the extent of the fill), but drilling it was a real feckin nightmare, and it broke several times before I somehow managed to get it to work...

IMG_1964.jpeg

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

View attachment 105602View attachment 105603

View attachment 105604

View attachment 105605

View attachment 105606

View attachment 105607

I particularly like the dyed maple ferrule, you should try one with that as the main part. I think grey is under-represented in handle colours!

Latest posts

Back