Show us your sticks (finished handle projects)...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha... I haven't done anything with banksia for a long time. Just when I was starting to make handles experimentally I found a bit on the ground; I didn't know what it was at the time, or that people actually used them, but had a play around: Wine and Wood (handles)

I should probably try again properly soon - lot's of potential I think!

A full handle would be great looking. really like the blue ferrule you made

Just a couple of recent projects I have been tinkering with.....

Did a western wa for my TF Mab. The handle body is dyed and stabilized curly maple with a stainless steel spacer and horn ferule. The saya is also curly maple which was tnited with dyed resin and heat set. Wish the sun was out so you could really see the chatoyance. Curly maple is rapidly becoming one of my favorite woods!

20211130_115145.jpg
20211130_115151.jpg
20211130_115343.jpg

The Masakage Koishi got a similar shaped western wa. This one made from stabilized African mahogany with a brass face plate. The saya was cut from the same block as the handle. You can see how much darker the resin tints the wood. I used this one at work last week and had forgotten what a good cutter it was, and how well this AS held an edge.

20211130_115223_Burst01.jpg
20211130_115240.jpg
20211130_115315.jpg

Birds fan, you’ve really been busy since you started making handles. Really nice work. I still haven’t made a wa handle yet, but I’ll get to it one of these days.

Hah....that I have, Greg. I have a lot of knives. And once I put a handle and saya on 'em, I get too attached to sell them. When is the next Knife Anonymous meeting? "My name is Fred and I am powerless against the draw of new gyutos......Wait....Heiji western on BST?!? " Maybe I will make the next meeting...

Last edited:
Just a couple of recent projects I have been tinkering with.....

Did a western wa for my TF Mab. The handle body is dyed and stabilized curly maple with a stainless steel spacer and horn ferule. The saya is also curly maple which was tnited with dyed resin and heat set. Wish the sun was out so you could really see the chatoyance. Curly maple is rapidly becoming one of my favorite woods!

View attachment 154225View attachment 154226View attachment 154227

The Masakage Koishi got a similar shaped western wa. This one made from stabilized African mahogany with a brass face plate. The saya was cut from the same block as the handle. You can see how much darker the resin tints the wood. I used this one at work last week and had forgotten what a good cutter it was, and how well this AS held an edge.

View attachment 154228View attachment 154229View attachment 154230

Your work is getting ever more sophisticated. What a wonderful job.

Could you guys that are making wa handles tell me what size blank you start out with? I’m making a new mold for epoxy resin and I’m going to be experimenting with wood and epoxy layers. My current mold and my current wood layered handles that are made without a mold start out at 1”x1”x6”. That size won’t work for a wa handle or on a larger knife. Thanks. -Greg

Actually....for a standard octo wa, that is exactly the size I start with.

No kidding? Wow! I have always thought that I was starting with a smaller blank than what would be needed for a wa. Using that size blank for my Japanese style oval handles they end up fairly narrow in hand. My wife really likes the size but it’s a bit thin for me. Now that I think about it, making a wa requires a lot less material removal so I guess it makes sense. Well, before I make a new mold I’ll make my first wa handle and see how that goes. Thanks for the input, it’s much appreciated.

So, just realized that while I’ve participated in this thread admiring everyone’s work I’ve never actually posted any of mine. For some reason when this thread started, I thought it was only about wa handle making. Anyway, here are some of my handles that I’ve made in the last year.
4354130B-EBC6-458C-9AC6-FC8E6FA6A1B0.jpeg
A45C816D-922B-44CF-9713-1D5AC02E2918.jpeg
1750A757-5340-490A-8234-225195FDC7F5.jpeg
30C595E1-E261-47D0-A748-91FBCF0E0DB0.jpeg
2A346250-C4FD-4F43-95AE-BC988EBF26BF.jpeg
7D608EA8-AC83-4D9A-BAC7-D94FE2C545CF.jpeg
EA9B45F5-CAF9-4FCC-B9BD-80CA41C5C375.jpeg
BDBA34C7-F4A7-4C9F-B78F-4F919AC47F94.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry for the duplicates, I was having trouble posting with my phone.

Fixed the duplication problem and changed up some of the pictures. I should add that I also made the knives and letter openers that are also shown in some of the pictures.

The epoxy resin handles look much better in real life. If anyone is interested the spacers are 1” aluminum mini blinds turned towards and away from each other to form the pattern and placed before the epoxy is poured into the mold.

Last edited:
So, having more time I went back and reposted the pictures to get rid of the duplicates. I had a heck of a time as they kept showing up twice. Then when I tried to delete the duplicates it would delete both of the pictures as if there was only one posted. Anyway, I know these are all similar in design, which is why I’m going to start working on wa handles and some other ideas I have floating around in my head.

So, just realized that while I’ve participated in this thread admiring everyone’s work I’ve never actually posted any of mine. For some reason when this thread started, I thought it was only about wa handle making. Anyway, here are some of my handles that I’ve made in the last year. View attachment 158149View attachment 158150View attachment 158151View attachment 158152View attachment 158153View attachment 158154View attachment 158155View attachment 158156
Some beautiful work there!

I finished this ensemble the other day for my Heiji 270. I used cherry burl for the handle that I scored from @Chang and a disk of Aussie redgum generously provided by @cotedupy squeezed between 2 copper spacers with some g10. Despite the weight of the spacers, the balance point is still blade forward. I found a nice piece of reclaimed cherry for the saya. It has a lovely grain and streaks of color that nicely match the handle material inlay. The grain almost mimics a blade bevel...

20220129_140554 (2).jpg
20220129_140611 (2).jpg
20220129_140620 (2).jpg

I finished this ensemble the other day for my Heiji 270. I used cherry burl for the handle that I scored from @Chang and a disk of Aussie redgum generously provided by @cotedupy squeezed between 2 copper spacers with some g10. Despite the weight of the spacers, the balance point is still blade forward. I found a nice piece of reclaimed cherry for the saya. It has a lovely grain and streaks of color that nicely match the handle material inlay. The grain almost mimics a blade bevel...

View attachment 163284View attachment 163285View attachment 163286
I love that splash of wood going across the saya

I think I had posted a picture of my Myojin in another thread, so I apologize for the redundancy. That said, I just finished the matching saya, and I think this wood is really freaking cool looking, so it deserves a show off. The handle is myrtle burl, the saya is myrtle. It has some curl in it, and some awesome color variation. As is my habit, I put an inlay of the handle material so they would compliment each other better. (and when I get older I will know which saya goes with which knife)

20220201_111029.jpg
20220201_111039.jpg
20220201_111048.jpg
20220201_111106.jpg

Western handles apply to this thread?

Some low cost carbons that I did last week. 240 suji, 180 Misono Santoku with a spine reprofile, and a Forgecraft boning knife.

The Suji and Misono are in matching Koa wood un-stabilized that I brought back from a trip to Hawaii. The Forgecraft is Bocote. Couldn't help but cut something with the top two before I got photos, since I did a thinning and refinish on them and really wanted to see how they did on some food.

yDWDOvR.jpg

tnMVmMX.jpg

ad7FHCc.jpg

vfWc1yO.jpg

Back