Show us your sticks (finished handle projects)...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished the other two handles that I am considering for the TF in my post four above. Cocobolo and maple; and Ron-Ron, African Blackwood spacer and desert ironwood. I think Ron-ron is a very under rated wood if for no other reason than the translation is Rum- Rum.
View attachment 188321

Since I'm here, I'll post some other handles.

View attachment 188322
Cocobolo and African blackwood

View attachment 188325
Cocobolo with maple on a Ron-Ron cutting board.
View attachment 188323
Closeup of the figure.
View attachment 188326
Left side.

View attachment 188328
Cocobolo on a Yoshikane 240. I also made the table out of cocobolo. There are better pictures somewhere. The other side is actually better.
I made most of these with hand tools on my balcony or coffee table from information I got on this forum. I would like to express a deep sense of gratitude to the members who generously shared their knowledge. I've learned a lot. Thank you all.

Outstanding!

Would you have any interest in starting your own thread talking about your tools, methods, lessons, etc? I understand if not but this is something I'm very interested in and would love to read your insights.

I would be happy to do that. I am leaving tomorrow for a five week trip to Europe so it would not be until September sometime, if you can wait. I mostly make **** up with the guidance that I found on this forum, but I do have some experience which comes with trial and error. i.e. mistakes. Probably what I can advise most on is finishing cocobolo. It is different. I saw a post that someone submitted on cocobolo that was pretty close to what I do about 6 months ago or so. If you are making your own handles, I can give you Ron-ron, cocobolo, and Ironwood. I don't think the ironwood I have is very pretty, but you are welcome to it. You pay shipping. I think I have one more really nice piece of cocobolo, and the Ron-ron is good.

For your amusement, here is a photo on my patio in Costa Rica while sanding down one of the handles. Suction vise on a glass table.
Yoshi handle_038web400-.jpg

I would be happy to do that. I am leaving tomorrow for a five week trip to Europe so it would not be until September sometime, if you can wait. I mostly make **** up with the guidance that I found on this forum, but I do have some experience which comes with trial and error. i.e. mistakes. Probably what I can advise most on is finishing cocobolo. It is different. I saw a post that someone submitted on cocobolo that was pretty close to what I do about 6 months ago or so. If you are making your own handles, I can give you Ron-ron, cocobolo, and Ironwood. I don't think the ironwood I have is very pretty, but you are welcome to it. You pay shipping. I think I have one more really nice piece of cocobolo, and the Ron-ron is good.

For your amusement, here is a photo on my patio in Costa Rica while sanding down one of the handles. Suction vise on a glass table.View attachment 188364

Very generous but I'm not anywhere near ready yet. I'll slowly start picking up tools and contemplating.

And I can very much wait for your thread until your return. Have a safe trip!

Wow I never knew such a variety of beautiful handles even existed! Definitely some inspiration going on here.

I finally got around to doing some western style handles that I have been putting off.

For the Misono dragon 240, I used stabilized maple burl. This particular block had some spalting in it which tended to darken the color a tad. looks almost like granite with a glossy finish on it. As is my wont, I inlaid a piece of the handle wood into the highly figured walnut that I used to make the saya. By the way, that gorgeous blue patina on the blade is real, it isnt a reflection of the flowers.

20220802_100851.jpg
20220802_100900.jpg
20220802_100927_HDR.jpg

I have been procrastinating on this Takamura R-2 for a while. This has one of those half tangs that presented some real creative challenges, as you have to cut a very thin slot in the block, then drill the holes for corby bolts with such tight tolerances that you leave no play, which would be visible in the butt end of the handle. Came out pretty well though. I used stabilized pyinma burl for both the handle and the saya, since it is a fairly light wood, i figured it would keep the knife from being annoyingly handle heavy.

20220802_101013.jpg
20220802_101020.jpg

20220802_101038.jpg

Lastly, my little Kazan Hap40 150 petty, in stabilized curly maple, and a saya in similar curls.

20220802_101114_HDR.jpg
20220802_101122_HDR.jpg

I finally got around to doing some western style handles that I have been putting off.

For the Misono dragon 240, I used stabilized maple burl. This particular block had some spalting in it which tended to darken the color a tad. looks almost like granite with a glossy finish on it. As is my wont, I inlaid a piece of the handle wood into the highly figured walnut that I used to make the saya. By the way, that gorgeous blue patina on the blade is real, it isnt a reflection of the flowers.

View attachment 191310View attachment 191311View attachment 191312

I have been procrastinating on this Takamura R-2 for a while. This has one of those half tangs that presented some real creative challenges, as you have to cut a very thin slot in the block, then drill the holes for corby bolts with such tight tolerances that you leave no play, which would be visible in the butt end of the handle. Came out pretty well though. I used stabilized pyinma burl for both the handle and the saya, since it is a fairly light wood, i figured it would keep the knife from being annoyingly handle heavy.

View attachment 191313View attachment 191314

View attachment 191315

Lastly, my little Kazan Hap40 150 petty, in stabilized curly maple, and a saya in similar curls.

View attachment 191316View attachment 191317
Your dragon with maple burl looks fantastic!

My first handle build. More work than I thought it was going to be, but came out much better than I thought it would.

Attachments

• IMG_20220814_140509362_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20220814_140509362_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    648.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220814_140554177.jpg
    IMG_20220814_140554177.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220814_114010745.jpg
    IMG_20220814_114010745.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220814_114016655.jpg
    IMG_20220814_114016655.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220814_113928478_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220814_113928478_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220814_140446764_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20220814_140446764_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    661.2 KB · Views: 0
Thought I may as well jump in on this thread!

Left one is the first attempt at handle making, middle second and right is my third. Quite happy with the progress, getting better each time. Drilling by hand and using an upside down belt sander is far from ideal but hey the results are worth it
IMG_20220905_193021.jpg

IMG_20220905_193114.jpg
I gave a water based matte polyurethane coating a go since I didn't want a super shiny plasticky looking finish. I've seen people say it's not great because it can deteriorate over time with water or something like that but I don't drench my handles anyway. Quick wipe off and done. Wish I had space for a drill press though, life would be much easier!

Here's my first handle/re-handle: It's a piece of pallet scrap (two tone oak, IMO) with a black walnut spacer. It's an attempt at the heart without the divot on top style, or however that's referred to. I learned a ton in making this (I've already got my second handle mounted and getting tung oil applied) and I'm very happy with how it turned out. It's on an ~145mm nakiri, and it's mounted to the blade using beeswax. I'd love to hear feedback on what people think, and pointers on areas that can be improved upon; thanks.

PXL_20220909_220222938.jpg
PXL_20220909_220236401.jpg
PXL_20220909_220242414.jpg
PXL_20220909_220246821.MP.jpg
PXL_20220909_220254119.MP.jpg
PXL_20220909_220312001.jpg
PXL_20220909_220325048.MP.jpg

Here's my first handle/re-handle: It's a piece of pallet scrap (two tone oak, IMO) with a black walnut spacer. It's an attempt at the heart without the divot on top style, or however that's referred to. I learned a ton in making this (I've already got my second handle mounted and getting tung oil applied) and I'm very happy with how it turned out. It's on an ~145mm nakiri, and it's mounted to the blade using beeswax. I'd love to hear feedback on what people think, and pointers on areas that can be improved upon; thanks.

View attachment 197920View attachment 197921View attachment 197922View attachment 197923View attachment 197924View attachment 197925View attachment 197926
Looks great! Might be a little nicer in the hand for a pinch grip if you shaped the top a bit, or just round corners off until they don't feel like pressure points.

View attachment 197920View attachment 197921View attachment 197922View attachment 197923View attachment 197924View attachment 197925View attachment 197926
Looks really good! Since it's custom to you, you can just sand down to adjust any individual areas to fine tune the fit. From a purely aesthetic perspective, I like to introduce some taper of the height/width from the back to the front. My front dimensions are roughly 2mm smaller in each direction compared to the back.

The inspiration flows! 👍

Looks super comfy for a nakiri! I love the half octagons for that application. Install is much tighter than I got my first many installs too. I’m a big fan of hot melt glue over beeswax though
I'll regularly be using hot melt, but since we keep bees, and this was for my wife, who's also the main beekeeper, I used beeswax.

knocked these out today, just worried about how soft/light the wood is.. really wish I had the gear to stabilise wood. Maybe I'll do more looking into any quick n dirty methods. Love the look though! Just need to do finishing touchesView attachment 199716
View attachment 199717View attachment 199715View attachment 199718

Stunning wood. Love them!

I wouldn't worry too much about stabilizing as long as you can get balance. Just finish with a drying oil like Tung &c. and you'll get some waterproofing-ing.

Stunning wood. Love them!

I wouldn't worry too much about stabilizing as long as you can get balance. Just finish with a drying oil like Tung &c. and you'll get some waterproofing-ing.
Tung & c? Im not too familiar with oils, so far I've heard a lot about try oil. But I'm keen on trying oils out, I just don't want anything that will colour the wood. I like how light the colour is on whiter woods so for previous handles I've been using a water based polyurethane. It does the job but I'm not sold on its durability!

Tung & c? Im not too familiar with oils, so far I've heard a lot about try oil. But I'm keen on trying oils out, I just don't want anything that will colour the wood. I like how light the colour is on whiter woods so for previous handles I've been using a water based polyurethane. It does the job but I'm not sold on its durability!

Tung Oil. It's a drying oil, so sets and finishes in a way that mineral oil for instance doesn't. Also - Tung doesn't affect the colour. Something like Boiled Linseed Oil is also drying, but it makes wood darker.

Something called 'Hardwax Oil' is also worth looking out for. I use it a lot on softer woods especially.

I second what @cotedupy says, I don't particularly care for stabilized woods and I use tung oil to finish all of my handles, both made by me and others. I've got one I just finished rough shaping on that, I'll have pics of in about a week, that will show how a softer lighter wood (like those you've made there) looks pre and post tung.

Back