Show your newest gear!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iwatanis are more useful unless you need to long simmer something. They‘re lighter, cheaper, more portable, and work with all types of cookware.

I've been thinking of buying a Hi-Soft or Hasagawa FSR cutting board for at least 2 years by now. I finally decided to dive in and picked up one of the larger Hasagawa FSR's on MTC Kitchen. Before checking out ($220 for the board and $28 ground shipping) I googled for any discount codes, still pessimistic that they even work, but I found one that knocked off $25 of the shipping.

BALLSMTC10 is the code. It was the second result on Google, the first one didn't work. Oddly, this one was listed as a 10% discount (which it turned out to be true), but only took it out of the shipping/handling charge.

The length might be more of a hassle for storage, but it's nice to have space to set things, even just a towel for the knife. I went with the inch thick one ( 31.5" x 13.8" x 1")

$225 out the door.

Excited to explore this one.

YRkty7h.jpg

One of my non-stick pans needed replacing and I thought that a carbon steel pan might be a better choice. Was delighted to find that De Buyer makes a version with a round stainless handle, as I really don't like the long flat handles. I ditched bare steel years ago, but our recent discussion made me decide to give it another go..
IMG_7844.jpg

The board came today. The quality is impressive. I put a new edge on 4 of our most commonly used Japanese knives, but only to 3000k, I might stay up later tonight and go thru to my Naniwa Snow White 8000k before bed.

The board is definitely high quality. Too long obviously for dishwasher cleaning. I'll use it on my small bar-style round table for prep for big jobs. I just don't have space for it otherwise. I will very likely buy a smaller length one to use more for daily tasks and retire the short board from the BoardSmith, but for now, my wife really likes using that one.

One of my non-stick pans needed replacing and I thought that a carbon steel pan might be a better choice. Was delighted to find that De Buyer makes a version with a round stainless handle, as I really don't like the long flat handles. I ditched bare steel years ago, but our recent discussion made me decide to give it another go..
View attachment 177528
De Buyer are really nice, I wished I opted for the stainless handle but still loves my omelette pan.
Edit: you can actually see mine in the background

Last edited:
Bought a house and will be putting in a new kitchen this summer before I move in. There was a big sale on appliances so I have now already ordered everything except a dishwasher. Picked up the fridge and oven last week, still waiting for the cooktop, microwave, and extractor hood.

Got the XL fridge with black glass front from Miele which stands at 201cm tall. Will be the tallest fridge I've ever had. Was not able to find a built-in (integrated) fridge in this size, so I was lucky to find a nice looking freestanding one at a decent discount.

20220507_221219.jpg

Very excited to put it all together in a few months.

aaaand just ordered the dishwasher.

Amazing the lead time on appliances these days. Microwave and gas cooktop won't be delivered until late July, extractor hood in 5 weeks, and finally dishwasher in late August.

It's not so bad, I don't expect to install everything into the kitchen until late September anyway. But I can imagine it would be such a pain if your current model broke and you needed a replacement ASAP.

3-4, but I haven't measured 🤷‍♂️

edit: just checked and they take up 2,8 meters.

I suspected as much! :D

I have managed to limit myself to 2 meters, by periodically donating books I no longer use to the local library :)

Rookies. I just did a rough measurement and the fiancee has 12 meters of cookbooks and 3 meters of cooking magazines. And that is after she donated a bunch before moving in.

Rookies. I just did a rough measurement and the fiancee has 12 meters of cookbooks and 3 meters of cooking magazines. And that is after she donated a bunch before moving in.

I should add that doesn't include my cookbooks (probably a mere meter or so). Also, we've started to get a lot of stuff as ebooks, and there is probably a couple hundred there as well.

Last edited:
Back