Show your newest gear!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if this counts, but I recently started learning to bake. Never baked anything besides cookies, but really wanted to learn some techniques and recipes. Got my first molds to make cakes and just picked up this beautiful Carrara marble to temper chocolate for some recipes later this week.

A4962D13-AE2A-4F1E-89AB-E64724238718.jpeg E4664B69-C2DC-4E79-A766-BCEF242312F3.jpeg 46DF3EDD-62C0-4DF4-B7C7-27BB8961D394.png
0AEBBD56-98A4-4CB6-94D7-9B615A56B8D4.jpeg

Not sure if this counts, but I recently started learning to bake.
Definitely counts!

I discovered baking recently, too. It's taught me a whole lot of respect for bakers and patisserie chefs. There is a lot of complexity in baking that is much harder to control than in cooking, and it takes a lot of experience to adjust to varying conditions, such as temperature and humidity. Definitely not easy!

The perfect dough scraper:
IMG_3123.JPG
It's flexible enough around the perimeter to shape itself to a bowl, has a small-radius side for getting into corners and sharper bends, and it's stiff enough towards the centre to be able to pick up dough without it flopping down.

Definitely counts!

I discovered baking recently, too. It's taught me a whole lot of respect for bakers and patisserie chefs. There is a lot of complexity in baking that is much harder to control than in cooking, and it takes a lot of experience to adjust to varying conditions, such as temperature and humidity. Definitely not easy!

One of the things I love about baking is how precise it is. It’s very different from the normal things I make where I can taste as I go. I’m finding it amazing how many different things can be made with very few ingredients took. Definitely agree, huge appreciation for those that bake

Got a Hurom slow juicer (locally marketed by a company called Wilfa), but made by Hurom. It has a big, powerful GE Ultem Auger and is drop-dead silent, you can run it in the middle of the night and nobody will hear it.

My wife has been going crazy now making us juice shots, last batch was made from a bag of figs. That was good!

2_408449-635x1019.jpg

2_408449-705x978.jpg

I have one of those. It's a ***** to clean.

My wife cleans it and it takes her less than 2 minutes - rinses the pieces with the sink sprayer and puts them in the drip-drying cabinet over the sink voila! We have saved like 10 of these juice shot plastic bottles with screw tops bought from LIDL and she makes enough to fill those and stashes them in the fridge.

Had a few over the years, but not this particular model. Found out quickly that the cleanup is best done immediately, like even before drinking the juice.

IMG_1567516666.105425.jpg

New deBuyer 12.5” carbon steel pan (on left). Only downside is that I’ll probably have to get rid of my well-loved 12” cast iron that I sanded down with an orbital sander years ago. The deBuyer shape makes more sense to me for the stir-frying, hot sauteing, etc... that I use these pans for, though, and it’s also slightly lighter and seems to heat up faster, which is a plus. Haven’t used it on nuclear yet, though, which will be a true test.

Like I've mentioned before, I do love my cast iron, but I think our generation tends to fetishize it too much. I have my plain carbon steel pan and a Soy Turkye silver plated copper pan to choose from as well, for similar tasks. I think cast iron excels in making cornbread, and for shallow fat frying. But in most other applications, I can get equal or better results with lighter weight.

I basically consider gas grills as a lower form of life (sort of like amoeba) because the taste of things is just sterile - no smoke, no real crust on meats, etc. On the other hand, though, firing up my Weber charcoal grill takes about an hour whereas I can be cooking on a gas grill in less than a minute. Here in Helsinki, by this first week in September, it's no longer possible to charcoal grill on weekdays after coming home from work due to running out of daylight. Sometimes I would still like to get a flame-broiled burger or a few sausages. Especially homemade sausages that don't cook so well in pans due to the high fat content. So, I thought to get a smallish tabletop gas grill that doesn't take up any deck real-estate and can also be tossed into the back of the car on a whim.

This dude here is quite amazing - almost every piece is made from stainless steel: the body, the burners, the grate, the heat deflectors, the drip tray. I can leave it outside all winter and not even think twice about it rusting. And bonus, the grate, heat deflectors and drip tray come off without any tools and are perfectly sized that they fit into the dishwasher! Can either be used with a standard propane tank or a small disposable 440g gas cartridge. Nice and sturdy, nothing flimsy or crappy about it at all. Normal price was 159 eur, but it was on sale for 129 so I picked one up this evening.

This thing is big enough to roast two whole chickens at the same time, or an entire duck or even an entire pork loin.

4.4kw (15013 BTU) max heat output
320 gram/hour gas usage
1320 cm2 (204 sq inches) cooking surface

cello2.jpg

cello.jpg

I basically consider gas grills as a lower form of life (sort of like amoeba) because the taste of things is just sterile - no smoke, no real crust on meats, etc. On the other hand, though, firing up my Weber charcoal grill takes about an hour whereas I can be cooking on a gas grill in less than a minute. Here in Helsinki, by this first week in September, it's no longer possible to charcoal grill on weekdays after coming home from work due to running out of daylight. Sometimes I would still like to get a flame-broiled burger or a few sausages. Especially homemade sausages that don't cook so well in pans due to the high fat content. So, I thought to get a smallish tabletop gas grill that doesn't take up any deck real-estate and can also be tossed into the back of the car on a whim.

This dude here is quite amazing - almost every piece is made from stainless steel: the body, the burners, the grate, the heat deflectors, the drip tray. I can leave it outside all winter and not even think twice about it rusting. And bonus, the grate, heat deflectors and drip tray come off without any tools and are perfectly sized that they fit into the dishwasher! Can either be used with a standard propane tank or a small disposable 440g gas cartridge. Nice and sturdy, nothing flimsy or crappy about it at all. Normal price was 159 eur, but it was on sale for 129 so I picked one up this evening.

This thing is big enough to roast two whole chickens at the same time, or an entire duck or even an entire pork loin.

4.4kw (15013 BTU) max heat output
320 gram/hour gas usage
1320 cm2 (204 sq inches) cooking surface

View attachment 60505

View attachment 60506

That new grill looks awesome. Just to comment on your experience with charcoal, were you using charcoal briquettes (man made squares) or actual lump charcoal (all natural, looks like branches and pieces of wood)?

In my deck sized BGE minimax, using starter squares, I get charcoal up to around 400-500 F in about 5-10 min. If I use a propane torch to start it, its 2-3 min. I like Fogo Super lump charcoal but the pieces are much larger and take a few minutes more to light, but once air is cut off, they stop burning and can be relit at least 1 more time. BGE brand charcoal is much smaller but lites faster.

I don't generally grill with other than briquettes. With lump charcoal, you turn your back and it has burned it's course and died.

These graters are expensive, but work exquisitely well for grating ginger, garlic, wasabi, or daikon into a fine paste. (Yes, I know about the shark skin for wasabi, but haven't worked myself up to that yet…) Made of copper with nickel plating:

IMG_3133.JPG

After being perpetually pissed off at my carbon steel paella pan that is always rusting and gets angry when you use lemons and limes in it, I finally had enough. I ordered a 42cm (16.5 in) stainless-steel paella pan. I can leave it outside hanging on the wall for the entire winter and no problem! Bought stuff to make paella yesterday but it's been raining like crazy so didn't get to test it out yet. (Yes, we only make paella outside on top of our big gas burner.)

2019-09-08 04.59.56 pm.png

I missed the previous 2 sales, got lucky this time around.

Attachments

• C324009C-E36D-48AB-9C36-8D21FD9F3AEB.jpeg
    C324009C-E36D-48AB-9C36-8D21FD9F3AEB.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 99
Reactions: TDS
I bought a new toaster, SMEG TSF02SS. It can do 4 slices of normal sized toast at the same time, or 2 really long slices of "quality" bread. Has a bagel function to only toast one side. Has a defroster function as well, takes frozen bread to perfect toast - best toaster ever!

125710211_1.jpg

50_S_Retro_Style_Aesthetic_4_Slice_Toaster_09_1024x1024@2x.jpg

I bought a new toaster, SMEG TSF02SS. It can do 4 slices of normal sized toast at the same time, or 2 really long slices of "quality" bread. Has a bagel function to only toast one side. Has a defroster function as well, takes frozen bread to perfect toast - best toaster ever!
Does it beep? If it does, I'd put an axe through it…

I bought a fancy Breville stainless-steel toaster a few years ago. What they didn't tell me on the box was that, once it has finished its thing, it beeps. Three times. Long beeps. Loud beeps.

I checked the manual to find out how I can turn off the beeps. No joy. It's not possible to turn off the beeps. That is despite the thing being equipped with a microprocessor that can drive a fancy animated display and uses artificial (supposed) intelligence to decide when my toast is ready.

Wonderful! I most definitely need my toaster to beep at me every time it has finished making some toast. That's because without it beeping, I might completely forget that—three minutes earlier—I decided to have breakfast and might end up starving as a result.

How I just love those beeps! I mean, what sweeter sound can there possibly be first thing in the morning, just as I've taken my first sip of coffee?

A few weeks later, my son (also an engineer) and I decided to open the thing up and to physically disable the beeper. It turned out to be impossible. Disassembly of the thing is so complex and intrusive, and the circuit board that has the beeper soldered onto it (how could it be otherwise?) is so difficult to access that, most likely, we would have destroyed the (quite expensive) toaster in the process of trying to disable the beeper. So, we put it back together again and admitted defeat.

Thank you Breville, thank you! You can make a toaster beep. Congratulations!

Why did you make it beep? Nobody knows. I guess because you could. And because the competition's toaster didn't beep so, if yours does beep, that must be better, right?

Thank you also, Breville, for assuming that you are entitled to beep at me in my own home for as loud and as long as you deem fit. Whether I make toast first thing in the morning (while my wife is still asleep), or last thing before going to bed (while my wife is already asleep). Never mind whether I (or my wife) would like to be beeped at or not—I am sure that you know what is best for us.

My fancy, stainless, quite expensive, and beeping toaster stopped working after a little over two years. I danced a jig in my kitchen when, one beautiful spring morning, I found out that I couldn't have toast for breakfast.

That day, I went and bought a toaster. A real toaster. One that makes toast. Without any animated display. Without any artificial un-intelligence. Without a microprocessor. And, without a beeper.

This morning, I had breakfast. The sun had just come up. The birds were singing outside. I could just see little drops of dew on the plants in the garden reflecting brilliant rays of early-morning sunlight, and I watched a butterfly settle on a fresh blossom that had just opened up, to have its first sip of nectar of the day. I had my first sip of coffee of the day, admiring the glorious display of creation right in front of me.

Then my toast was ready. My toaster went "CLUNK" as it popped up the toast. And I heard the sweetest sound there is in the morning after the first sip of coffee.

Life is beautiful…

Last edited:
Back