Show your newest gear!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New board. This is their XXL but I sort of wish I'd gotten the biggest one.
IMG20240617111430.jpg

IMG20240617111444.jpg

Also glued this LED strip which works surprisingly well. Thought I'd go through more hassle to get some light above the counter
IMG20240611145334.jpg

New board. This is their XXL but I sort of wish I'd gotten the biggest one.
View attachment 329113
View attachment 329114
Also glued this LED strip which works surprisingly well. Thought I'd go through more hassle to get some light above the counter
View attachment 329115
I’m working on a kitchen remodel and I have the cabinets in and about 6 feet of LED strip temporarily installed.

It is amazing how much usable light it puts out. Lighting has really come a long way in the past 5 years.

BOGO Dartos arrived today. I like the weight and the shape. Not so much the 30 minutes I spent wet sanding them with bar keepers friend to remove the rust and shipping lacquer/grease. Finally got them clean and did one layer of seasoning with pork fat. Hopefully they only get better from here. Paella pans should arrive soon.

IMG_4615.jpeg
IMG_4617.jpeg

BOGO Dartos arrived today. I like the weight and the shape. Not so much the 30 minutes I spent wet sanding them with bar keepers friend to remove the rust and shipping lacquer/grease. Finally got them clean and did one layer of seasoning with pork fat. Hopefully they only get better from here. Paella pans should arrive soon.

View attachment 329268View attachment 329269
A word to the wise: varnish is best dealt with by the use of dangerous chemicals. I swear by’em.

(lurches into the sunset)

Thought I was going to resort to that, but my wife hates the smell. 3M sanding block for the win on these.
Yeah; boiling acetone here.
In the garage of course; no point poisoning the pup.

Reactions: WCV
I’m working on a kitchen remodel and I have the cabinets in and about 6 feet of LED strip temporarily installed.

It is amazing how much usable light it puts out. Lighting has really come a long way in the past 5 years.
It's amazing how many rental kitchens here still come without even the most basic undercabinet lightning; in my mind it's as much of a basic necessity as the sink.
Can get it really cheap as well these days in places like ikea.

Moved into a small, temporary apartment on Manhattan upper east side so we could travel more, I decided to renovate the kitchen. The kitchen is 8’ x 5’ 4” or 2.4 x 1.6 meters. Small by any measure!
View attachment 329099

The first, critical move was to convince my girlfriend that putting a refrigerator in the living space was a brilliant move. She agreed? Consented? Grudgingly accepted? One of those. The building owner (who’s a good friend) replaced the stove and I decided to invest in an ikea refrigerator. Next was to find a place out of the kitchen for a coffee/wine bar and lastly I had to figure out how to store enough cookware in the place so I would feel that life was worth living.
View attachment 329106View attachment 329107

This also features the fourth iteration of my spice rack that I’ve posted here, my best one yet

Ironically, the owner tried to turn on the gas, plumbing wouldn’t hold pressure so I’m cooking on induction for the next few weeks or months
View attachment 329108
View attachment 329109View attachment 329110
I’ve always had one of these wire shelves to hold my pans and serving platters(the old one became the coffee bar) but when space gets tight the shelf spacing decreases commensurately
I did something similar a few months ago; as an experiment I moved the fridge to the hallway right next to the kitchen. I was positively surprised by how easy the transition was for me and how little it bothered me - I was fully expecting to hate it. Which is great because now I have an extra corner in the kitchen I freed up that I can use however I want.

Last edited:
I did aomething similar a few months ago; as an experiment I moved the fridge to the hallway right next to the kitchen. I was positively surprised by how easy the transition was for me and how little it bothered me - I was fully expecting to hate it. Which is great because now I have an extra corner in the kitchen I freed up that I can use however I want.
Sounds like you opened up more knife storage. Better get buying!

It's amazing how many rental kitchens here still come without even the most basic undercabinet lightning; in my mind it's as much of a basic necessity as the sink.
I'm...no longer considered young, and I've never had under cabinet lighting of any kind before. It was a revelation to me, and is now 100% a requirement. But it is easy for me to imagine that lots of folks haven't, er, seen the light.

Sounds like you opened up more knife storage. Better get buying!
Knife storage is happening but on the the other side of the kitchen; finally getting a place for a nice long magnet bar. But honestly I don’t really feel yhe urge tomgetmmuch more knives. If anything stuff just gets overcomplicated once the collection becomes too large, knives become underused, and at some point it just becomes a waste of space and money. I guess I finally reached that point where it's one in, one out.
I'm...no longer considered young, and I've never had under cabinet lighting of any kind before. It was a revelation to me, and is now 100% a requirement. But it is easy for me to imagine that lots of folks haven't, er, seen the light.
Yeah lack of proper lighting is the nr 1 most occuring kitchen flaw. Which is a shame since it really impacts usability while being relatively easy and cheap to fix.

View attachment 329424View attachment 329425View attachment 329426
I've been filling "Rite in the Rains" and other small notebooks with menus and ideas for years, finally splurged on a big one to do some organizing and editing. Not super exciting gear, I know, but my friends have been after me to do it for years.

Molskine Recipe Journal (amazon)
I switched to an app called Paprika which is pretty great for stuff you find online, and then I was pretty ambitious about putting things in our cookbook forum on KKF too. It’s nice to be able to get some affirmation in “likes” when you work hard at crafting a recipe. As soon as I figure out a spot to set up my computer lm going to get back to it

Nothing beats that beautiful leather bound journal though, if I didn’t edit and rewrite so much I’d really love to have one of those

I keep beating myself up for not buying the BOGO Dartos, but I had no use for two of them and nobody would go in on one with me. I asked around at work... I asked around on Facebook. I asked my friends and family. And none of those jokers wanted in. They don't know what they're making me miss out on!

I didn't know I needed this. Thanks!

After suffering with the tiny sink in the tiny kitchen in the tiny apartment I decided that my long gyutos have to go, and scaled down pots and pans would be a good investment so I bought a starter set of Cristel cookware with removable handles. If anyone has a requirement for very compact cookware I’d say take a good look at this stuff. It may not be quite on the level of demeyere and fissler but it packs a ton of functionality in a very compact space.

Even the lids take up hardly any space. May not be for everyone but it’s great for my purposes. Comes with a 22 cm casserole, a 24 cm sauté pan and a 28 cm skillet

The knife is a mizuno ks that’s 254 long. Had to sell it before I tipped it replaced it with a (gasp) santoku. Oy vey.
IMG_5993.jpeg
IMG_5994.jpeg
IMG_5927.jpeg
IMG_5995.jpeg

Back