Show your newest gear!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some truly hard-core towels. "Krigsmakten" is Swedish and means "armed forces" :)

My thanks to @Kristoffer, who really went out of his way to help me get these!
IMG_3532.jpg

I currently don’t have a parrot. But there are usually lots of them in the trees in our garden:)

So we have German in Australia with Swedish armed forces dish towels? Or did i miss something?
Actually it is very cool and i wish i had some too!

How could anyone have passed up on that opportunity to share a small bit of Swedish history?

When I was growing up everyone’s mom and grandma used to have these towels. If they weren’t from the armed forces they came from the public health care, same towels :)

Krigsmakten probably got the worst neutering in history when in the 70:s the armed forces were renamed from “The War Force” to “The Defence Force”. The country got some really nice surplus towels though.

:LOL:

Not new, but there’s some relevant similarity between the gear of @Kristoffer and @Michi.
This is a towel from a restaurant my ancestors had in the beginning of the 20th century. The restaurant is long gone, but the linnen is still kicking. It’s a bit dusty (burnt flour), but you get the idea:
View attachment 73701

Great looking towels, and not a bad name of the place either!

I grew up with these towels, too. They were ubiquitous when I was a child. I still have three or four that are about 35 years old (and have been in use pretty much continuously all those years). They are getting rather thread-bare now, and are definitely at the end of their life. And they don't say "Bundeswehr" in white on red :) But, otherwise, they are very similar.

These are the towels that you can ask your children to bury you with…

Last edited:
They've got a great texture and look to them! They look like linen.

So... Is it worth it? (compared to stove top, normal rice cooker, oven, etc...)
Yes, definitely worth it. Perfect rice each and every time.

Zojirushi is the Rolls Royce of rice cookers, but you will get very good and consistent results with cheaper brands, too.

Mine gets used so often it stays on the counter.
Try tomato rice or toss in some salmon chunks.
Add Kombu piece when cooking.
Cut back on the water and get some crispy on the bottom.
I cook grits on the porridge setting, no stirring easy clean up.
Congratulations

Well, now I want one. It actually took me a while to nail my rice recipe (living at 7,000 feet brings a host of cooking challenges), but I can finally make good rice. An automatic induction rice cooker would, no doubt, make life easier.

However, I think the next $300 kitchen gadget I'll get is the Ooni pizza oven. [emoji106]

Back