Show your newest gear!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the variety of potato makes a big difference, but the fat even more...duck fat rules for me both in flavor as in texture and caramelization. The few times I eat fried stuff I want it to be great!
Actually, as much as I'm onboard with professing the advantages of better fats, don't underestimate how much of a difference the potato can make, especially in the flavor department. Most potatoes sold at supermarket just taste of nothing these days.
Personally I've settled on gourmande / gourmandine and charlotte... both waxy - but so much more flavor than the 'average' potato, and they hold up with slower cooking methods.

New Venev stone. Got the 400/800 FEPA-F (roughly 700/2000 Japanese stones equivalent) one.
16241804530115306124026541207526.jpg
16241804799426434265784445880589.jpg

@IsoJ

So, with all this knife buying I thought I needed a cutting board. I found this Boos cherry cutting board on eBay for a good price. I have put my first coat of mineral oil on it as it just came today. It seems rather dry. I have bigger boards and smaller boards but I think this will be a good size. It is 20x15x1.5. I hope it changes to a nice red color with age. Update Boos in action.
IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

Last edited:
So, with all this knife buying I thought I needed a cutting board. I found this Boos cherry cutting board on eBay for a good price. I have put my first coat of mineral oil on it as it just came today. It seems rather dry. I have bigger boards and smaller boards but I think this will be a good size. It is 20x15. I hope it changes to a nice red color with age. Update Boos in action.View attachment 132385

View attachment 132406
Out of curiosity, how much did your new board cost??

Out of curiosity, how much did your new board cost??

It was $69 plus shipping and taxes. 20x15x1.5. They said the corners were dirty as a couple poked through the plastic. I lightly sanded the corners with 220 sand paper when I received it and they seem fine. I wanted to get the dirt off before I oiled the board. So, I guess it was a marked down board. I have never owned a cherry cutting board before.

Last edited:
It was $69 plus shipping and taxes. 20x15x1.5. They said the corners were dirty as a couple poked through the plastic. I lightly sanded the corners with 220 sand paper when I received it and they seem fine. I wanted to get the dirt off before I oiled the board. So, I guess it was a marked down board. I have never owned a cherry cutting board before.
That’s a great price & a great looking board!!

I saw some links here to some carbon steel pans on sale at Amazon that people seemed to be happy with. I was making an Amazon order and decided to put one of the smaller ones in the cart to try it out. I'm a cast iron guy, no carbon or stainless pans in the kitchen until now. I'm trying to move away from teflon, but we still use it regularly.

Got it in and my first reaction was "Dang this thing is pretty heavy". The wall thickness is nice, but I have a vintage #6 cast iron skillet comparable in size that feels lighter in weight, which surprised me. I did a stovetop seasoning session on it with veg oil, then later we saute'd some mushrooms. The carbon steel holds heat well and allowed the mushrooms to get some color instead of steaming in the produced liquid.

I like carbon steel, and this won't be my last. I like how you can really turn up the heat on these, and the low walls is a style I'm not used to, so it was a fun change. Overall pleased with my purchase, and I highly favor pans that get better over time instead of worse (teflon).

BXm87Pz.jpg

If you end up with left over tortillas, or you buy them pre made then I like to heat them up over a low gas flame on the stove top. I don't use a pan. I put the tortillas directly on the gas grate. It does not take long so you have to watch them so they don't burn. The kiss of the flame adds a lot of flavor. Store the hot ones in an old towel to keep warm.

If you have electric then I use a carbon steel flat pan. I have an old French crepe pan.

Back