Show your newest gear!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anova precision oven, halfway through sous vide pork shoulder. It’s holding 165f for 24 hours. I think this one is gonna be a game changer
image.jpg

Pernil. Dominican style pork shoulder, a New York classic. First thing outta the new oven.
Bone in, 9 lbs. cost $17 for the whole piece. We call it a picnic shoulder here.

24 hours at 165f full steam, 15 minutes at 475 no steam, top heat only.

Outstanding! That skin cracked and the meat was super juicy

I’m sold.

4ED03CDE-37B0-44E2-A579-D4CA3AD09346.jpeg

Look up Fideo. I like it a lot. For a treat toast some cumin seed until they smell good then break'em up and sprinkle on the Fideo.

Last edited:
Snagged this at Costco today on sale.
Good deal with the external container. Tip: don't bother with the app. It's useless. It is way more reliable and easier to set the temperature on the unit itself. As a timer, just use your phone, and your life will have a lot less friction in it than otherwise.

Last edited:
Good deal with the external container. Tip: don't bother with the app. It's useless. It is way more reliable and easier to set the temperature on the unit itself. As a timer, just use your phone, and you life will have a lot less friction in it than otherwise.
Thanks for the advice! I will skip the app. I am really looking forward to trying this out. I bought it to complete the pork from your recipe smoked cured loin that I set to cure last weekend.

Just got in one of these giant Thai clay mortars, primarily for making green papaya salad. A sticker on it warned it causes cancer in California. Fortunately I'm in Florida. Anyway, after it came in my wife offered that she hates green papaya salad. So my first project with it will be homemade green curry paste.

IMG_2741.jpg

Last edited:
Just got in one of these giant Thai clay mortars, primarily for making green papaya salad. A sticker on it warned it causes cancer in California. Fortunately I'm in Florida. Anyway, after it came in my wife offered that she hates green papaya salad. So my first project with it will be homemade green curry paste.

View attachment 149162

View attachment 149162
Looks fantastic! How much does that hold?

I have this one liter granite one I got at the three aunties Thai grocery in elmhurst, queens a few years ago. The larger they are the more useful they are.

And, err, good luck with that cancer thing!

Looks fantastic! How much does that hold?

I have this one liter granite one I got at the three aunties Thai grocery in elmhurst, queens a few years ago. The larger they are the more useful they are.

And, err, good luck with that cancer thing!

Holds around 2.5 liters. (Or, enough to hold a shredded green papaya, bird's eye chilis, garlic, limes, long beans, tomatoes, fish sauce, palm sugar, tamarind paste, dried shrimp, and roasted peanuts!)

IMG_2743.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I will skip the app. I am really looking forward to trying this out. I bought it to complete the pork from your recipe smoked cured loin that I set to cure last weekend.
The app is useful for recipe ideas Or checking temp suggestions. I agree that it is easier to set temp on the unit. Very rarely set a timer since it’s so forgiving on time.

Yea

Yeah, mine is too. Luckily there was a little bit of room outside the kitchen

Been wanting to renovate the kitchen—for the last 10 years—prob I have is the cupboards are rather low, not enough clearance for an Anova.

Thanks for the tip, Rick. It looks interesting. I might give her Nkatsenkwan recipe a try!

I don't know anything about this recipe but I think it would be nice. When I have too many jalapeno peppers from the garden, I like to cut them in half and fill the pepper with crunchy peanut butter. It is an interesting thing to eat. There is a lot going on in 1 bite.

Sinterklaas gifted us with a nice set of Fissle Pro (updated version) pots, totally happy with those....
A quick test shows that a full pot heats up to a boil considerably faster than with the pots we had.

Back