Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jannis Scholz makes some of the best knives I’ve ever experienced. There, I said it. Everything about them is perfect. I feel like a fanboy, might post up half my collection later to fund more knives by him, who knows. Yes, I’m watching a movie and playing with my knife on the couch. You guys do that too, right?

Thanks again @nhb22 😘

IMG_0544.jpeg
IMG_0545.jpeg
IMG_0551.jpeg

Edit : “Jannis xerxes”, lol I’m dumb

Oh, and if any of you guys haven’t tried Apex Ultra yet… do it. Fresh after polishing it to remove patina, I cut garlic and shallots and let the knife sit before washing. It barely formed any patina and definitely didn't come anywhere close to rusting. Same after cutting an onion. Let it sit, cleaned it, nothing. On a monosteel with no protective finish or etch whatsoever. I can’t say that about many of my carbon knives, sure some of them wouldn’t have any rusting concerns but fresh from a polish they’d definitely form a quick patina. This gives me a lot of confidence with it, and it will be one of the few knives in my collection I won’t need to coat with oil if it sits on my wall for a month and doesn’t get used. Which looks unlikely. Also, speaking of patina, it is very resistant to polishing and removing patina, which to me speaks to the steel’s durability, though I could be wrong and some other factor could be at play.

Sharpening this thin edge at a 14 degree angle, it barely took any time to form a burr. Most of my knives get 16 degree edges, and in my experience when you go lower it takes longer. Didn’t seem to make a difference with this, and though this is a nail flexing edge throughout which makes it easier to sharpen, so are a lot of my other knives I’ve sharpened before. So for me, it was comparable in effort to white steel, just a smaller burr, but take that with a grain of salt because I’m a novice sharpener at best. BESS score fresh from sharpening was 135 before stropping, 100 after.

I can’t speak on the edge retention just yet because I’ve only used the knife for a few different things at this point, but if that’s acceptable or above what I would consider acceptable than I’d have no problem saying that I consider this to be the best kitchen knife steel, and the one I would prefer on all customs and purchases moving forward. I have to say Larrin really knocked this one out of the park.

Last edited:
I was willing to try a Kawachi with the similar profile, but I just missed one when I made my profile in the forum. So at double the price but a blue1 steel I decide to buy my most expensive knife until now🤣 an amazing Yoshikazu Tanaka 240(225) from JNS. I don't know how they compere with the Kawachi but I kind a love this one..

Attachments

• tempImageZidFkS.png
    tempImageZidFkS.png
    11.5 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImagem8p8bu.png
    tempImagem8p8bu.png
    11.6 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImageayIwVC.png
    tempImageayIwVC.png
    600.2 KB · Views: 0
Oh, and if any of you guys haven’t tried Apex Ultra yet… do it. Fresh after polishing it to remove patina, I cut garlic and shallots and let the knife sit before washing. It barely formed any patina and definitely didn't come anywhere close to rusting. Same after cutting an onion. Let it sit, cleaned it, nothing. On a monosteel with no protective finish or etch whatsoever. I can’t say that about many of my carbon knives, sure some of them wouldn’t have any rusting concerns but fresh from a polish they’d definitely form a quick patina. This gives me a lot of confidence with it, and it will be one of the few knives in my collection I won’t need to coat with oil if it sits on my wall for a month and doesn’t get used. Which looks unlikely. Also, speaking of patina, it is very resistant to polishing and removing patina, which to me speaks to the steel’s durability, though I could be wrong and some other factor could be at play.

Sharpening this thin edge at a 14 degree angle, it barely took any time to form a burr. Most of my knives get 16 degree edges, and in my experience when you go lower it takes longer. Didn’t seem to make a difference with this, and though this is a nail flexing edge throughout which makes it easier to sharpen, so are a lot of my other knives I’ve sharpened before. So for me, it was comparable in effort to white steel, just a smaller burr, but take that with a grain of salt because I’m a novice sharpener at best. BESS score fresh from sharpening was 135 before stropping, 100 after.

I can’t speak on the edge retention just yet because I’ve only used the knife for a few different things at this point, but if that’s acceptable or above what I would consider acceptable than I’d have no problem saying that I consider this to be the best kitchen knife steel, and the one I would prefer on all customs and purchases moving forward. I have to say Larrin really knocked this one out of the park.
I have the little bro to your newly acquired knife, Xerxes' AU is something special it's the only knife I have where I'd say the steel gets more bitey/aggressive than blue super. Holds that aggression longer as well. Great pickup!

This looks great :) besides being a Mazaki, which knife is this?
Lol it's a Yanick. He doesn't have lines of products, so it's just knife by Yanick :)

Oh, and if any of you guys haven’t tried Apex Ultra yet… do it.
Going through this now since I got my first AU. It took some fun blues and purples and then has been effectively semi-stainless in my kitchen since. Easy to touch up on a coticule, been pleased with edge retention at home. About to take it as a travel knife for a month to really see how the edge retention is.

20240605_083500 (1).jpg

Going through this now since I got my first AU. It took some fun blues and purples and then has been effectively semi-stainless in my kitchen since. Easy to touch up on a coticule, been pleased with edge retention at home. About to take it as a travel knife for a month to really see how the edge retention is.

View attachment 328934
Clad or mono?

View attachment 328934
Yeah me thinks a cleaver with AU is in order soon 😏

Zwilling tempted me with this YouTube Short. It sort of worked but not the way they wanted . The YouTube was about an "in between" knife, in between a Chef's and a Paring knife. The blade design they demonstrated was close to the Japanese Kiritsuke (Bunka) Petty. With this in mind I looked over at Japanese Chef Knife and purchased what turned out to be the last JCK Natures Blue Clouds, Blue Steel No.2 Nashiji Kiritsuke Petty 140mm. Heat treated to HRc. 61 to 62, the Stainless steel clad double bevel edged blade has a 50/50 symmetrical grind.

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 10.42.06.png

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 10.42.33.png

Last edited:
This Prendergast just showed up that I purchased almost a month ago. I'm probably going to turn right around and put this on BST just because it took so long to get it here. And to be honest, I didn't really enjoy dealing with Dan that it kind of makes me not want to use it. But this might be the best looking etch I've ever seen on a knife. These pictures are zero filters. It looks incredible
PXL_20240617_234706647.jpg
PXL_20240617_234659429.jpg

This Prendergast just showed up that I purchased almost a month ago. I'm probably going to turn right around and put this on BST just because it took so long to get it here. And to be honest, I didn't really enjoy dealing with Dan that it kind of makes me not want to use it. But this might be the best looking etch I've ever seen on a knife. These pictures are zero filters. It looks incredibleView attachment 329233View attachment 329234
It’s an object. Use it hard.

This Prendergast just showed up that I purchased almost a month ago. I'm probably going to turn right around and put this on BST just because it took so long to get it here. And to be honest, I didn't really enjoy dealing with Dan that it kind of makes me not want to use it. But this might be the best looking etch I've ever seen on a knife. These pictures are zero filters. It looks incredibleView attachment 329233View attachment 329234
I have a petty from him and it also had a pretty amazing starter patina on it. Very colorful and rainbow-ish, like yours. I had a smooth transaction, sorry to hear about your negative experience.

Sorry that your experience ruined what otherwise looks like a really pretty piece. I wish I knew how to consistently etch to get that kind of effect.

Back