Show your newest knife buy

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Mr.Magnus, Jul 27, 2012.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jul 1, 2019 #13741

thebradleycrew

thebradleycrew

thebradleycrew

Supporting Member

Got this nice little 150mm Nitro-V Cris Anderson (@CrisAnderson27 ) and a matching 240mm big brother, though right now I only have decent photos of the 150mm, in part because it is super versatile and I use it more. Has an extra tall heel and comes in at 171 grams, heel at 53mm, blade spot on at 150mm. Really love this knife and gets more use than I thought it would given its size (thanks, Cris, for the advice). Went subtle with the dark grey dyed handle, but the curves are just perfect.
    IMG_0660.jpg IMG_0661.jpg IMG_0662.jpg IMG_0663.jpg

2. Jul 1, 2019 #13742

ashy2classy

ashy2classy

ashy2classy

Congrats and great handle choice!!!

CiderBear likes this.
  3. Jul 2, 2019 #13743

milkbaby

milkbaby

milkbaby

Well-Known Doofus Supporting Member

That looks superb. Really dig the profile, dimensions, and weight. Can only imagine how much of a workhorse it is. Great pricing too on those...

4. Jul 2, 2019 #13744

milkbaby

milkbaby

milkbaby

Well-Known Doofus Supporting Member

I especially dig the Xerxes gyuto and petty. It's a cool "set", very beautiful knives.

mack likes this.
  5. Jul 2, 2019 #13745

preizzo

preizzo

preizzo

Some of them are new IMG_20190702_060250_872.jpeg IMG_20190702_073446_478.jpeg IMG_20190702_052431_201.jpeg

6. Jul 2, 2019 #13746

F-Flash

F-Flash

F-Flash

What, only 94 knives. I thought you have that many mazakis allready :D

milkbaby and Carl Kotte like this.
  7. Jul 2, 2019 #13747

preizzo

preizzo

preizzo

many mazaki are out for new handles and many others been sold last month.

8. Jul 2, 2019 #13748

mack

mack

mack

O-H M-Y G-O-D

9. Jul 2, 2019 #13749

Kozuka

Kozuka

Kozuka

10. Jul 2, 2019 #13750

Hoonis

Hoonis

Hoonis

Banned

11. Jul 2, 2019 #13751

mbiraman

mbiraman

mbiraman

12. Jul 2, 2019 #13752

CiderBear

CiderBear

CiderBear

Thank you so much for all of your input and advice!! I did the math and figured that if I'm going to change the handle anyway, I might as well get a custom handle from Shinichi right in the beginning. Probably a bad beginner's knife, but knowing myself it'll always be my white whale until I get my hands on it, so I might as well do it now and not waste money on a starter nakiri :p

Also, wow, the 3200 yen shipping is so worth it. Shin sent it out Monday morning in Japan (so Sunday night over here) and I got this email just now

[​IMG]

Bad day to have a dinner reservation right after work though

EDIT: Just got this email "You have a DHL delivery at the front desk"

Can I call in sick and go home now?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  13. Jul 2, 2019 #13753

Stratguy

Stratguy

Stratguy

Supporting Member

Where did you send the Mazaki's to be re-handled?

Carl Kotte likes this.
  14. Jul 2, 2019 #13754

preizzo

preizzo

preizzo

Best knife handle maker .graydon

15. Jul 2, 2019 #13755

pd7077

pd7077

pd7077

C II Bladeworks (Carter Hopkins) western handled differentially hardened W2 gyuto. 248x50mm. Weighs in at 200g, and the balance point is right at the heel. Quilted maple saya, gaboon ebony & brass snakeskin carbon fiber bolster & brass accents

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

akafat, Desert Rat, milkbaby and 2 others like this.
  16. Jul 2, 2019 #13756

Stratguy

Stratguy

Stratguy

Supporting Member

WOW! Congrats pd7077.

17. Jul 3, 2019 #13757

Hoonis

Hoonis

Hoonis

Banned

Agreed

18. Jul 3, 2019 #13758

CiderBear

CiderBear

CiderBear

Got home at 9 after dinner, but still needed to take this one for a test run. Couldn't get any natural lights in my kitchen, so here are pictures of her with different lighting. In person, the handle (Honduran rosewood with a black dyed maple ferrule) looks light brown, perhaps a bit orange.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Measurements: She's quite chunky at 212g and about 58~59mm tall at the heel (not sure how to really measure this though). However, it feels very different from my Mercer santoku which is also 212g. The Wat is blade heavy - I can barely feel the handle at all. Balance point is around the last kanji. I believe the handle is shorter than a stock handle, which is fine with me and my tiny girl hands :p

Fit & Finish: The finish of the blade itself is rough (as expected tbh), but I don't think it affects performance at all. I did wipe the blade with acetone to remove the black/brownish coating (got that stuff on my fingers afterwards and for a second there I thought I had a degenerative skin disease lol)

I asked Shinichi to pick the best blade he had to go with the handle, so I think he polished the spine. However the choil is very rough and untouched/ unpolished. Doesn't hurt to put my fingers there, but it doesn't feel nice either. I'd appreciate any tips on how to make it nicer.

Performance: I only got to play around with it for about 45 minutes or so. Cut up 3 ingredients for a vegetable terrine I'm making later this week: yellow squash, zucchini, and carrots. Since this is my 1st nakiri and 3rd J knife, it feels a lot different than any other knife I've used. Unlike my 240mm Gengetsu SS (which feels more balanced), I could feel the chunkiness of the blade with each cut. It feels sharp ootb, but then again I'm not the expert on this.

I did have problems with food release, however. All 3 ingredients stuck to the place as I cut them. Tested the Gengetsu with them, and it definitely had better food release. Of course my technique is questionable, but I'm guessing the tall blade had something to do with this as well? Is it true that Nakiris are not known for their food release compared to gyutos?

Tonight, I will try to run the knife on the stone for the first time ever (as in, I bought my Gesshin 1000/6000 a month ago and it's still not soaked :oops:) to see if making it more sharp would help with the food release. Advice on this would be greatly appreciated too

Finally, family photo under crappy lighting
    [​IMG]

19. Jul 3, 2019 #13759

Keat

Keat

Keat

Supporting Member

Nice handle. Good to see more photos of the custom hanldes offered by Shin. . . beyond the photo on his website.

CiderBear likes this.
  20. Jul 3, 2019 #13760

Kozuka

Kozuka

Kozuka

Very cool. Once you get used to working with Nakiris they are really fun.

CiderBear likes this.
  21. Jul 3, 2019 #13761

Carl Kotte

Carl Kotte

Carl Kotte

Wrt food release, that is something that was discussed under ’sharpening stone’ not long ago. Neglecting details, I think people were in agreement that the grind is of importance (actually the most important factor) for food release. However, people had different opinions on how different finishes interact with food release. (As far as I can recall, mirror polish was considered the worst). I am in no position to say for sure, but if the knife is sharp, I think there is not much to gain wrt food release by giving the edge a work over. (Maybe you could do some work higher up the blade - fixing the bevel the way you do when you thin out the knife - but I wouldn’t do so myself with a brand new knife). Some of the ingredients you tried the knife on are notoriously sticky, so that is worth taking into the equation. Congrats either way to a great knife. Enjoy it!

CiderBear likes this.
  22. Jul 4, 2019 #13762

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

Buying this knife was a bad idea, trust me… You had a Gyuto, a paring knife, and a bread knife already. Fine, no problem. Those are the three essential knives in every kitchen. But, man, now you've gone and added a Nakiri, which is a totally non-essential knife in every kitchen.

Have you ever heard of Pandora's box? Now that you have taken off the lid, before you know it, your knives will be fruitful and multiply. And because so many more knives then will need sharpening, your stones will be fruitful and multiply too…

My best advice for your sanity and continued happiness in life: give away the Nakiri immediately, unsubscribe from this forum, and never look at it again! ;)

CiderBear likes this.
  23. Jul 4, 2019 #13763

ian

ian

ian

Supporting Member

The Wat nakiri is a tall, thin blade, from what I hear. Both these factors interfere with food release. E.g. with a thin blade, there’s not enough room for the convexity in the grind that helps with food release in many other knives. I wouldn’t expect it to compare to the Gengetsu in this department... food release on a Gengetsu is pretty decent imo. I’ve never handled this knife, though, so take this with a grain of salt.

CiderBear likes this.
  24. Jul 4, 2019 #13764

Carl Kotte

Carl Kotte

Carl Kotte

Yeah, but who wants sanity and happiness in life anyway?

CiderBear likes this.
  25. Jul 4, 2019 #13765

Kozuka

Kozuka

Kozuka

Correct. My experience is Nakiris and their big brother Cleavers are not ment for food release. If you search for Chinese or Japanese Pros working with them you will discover they dont care about food release, but welcome the stickiness even. Because they make use of the height to directly shovel the food into bowels / pans / woks / whatever. Pretty clever and saves time.

CiderBear likes this.
  26. Jul 4, 2019 #13766

Stonetherapy

Stonetherapy

Stonetherapy

Noooo, not the bowels!!!!

milkbaby, CiderBear and WPerry like this.
  27. Jul 4, 2019 #13767

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

My unicorn. 225 Marko Tsourkan Work Horse in 52100, based on Kato profile and specs, part of a group-buy. Marko is an immensely talented maker. He's finessed the design, I prefer it to my 240 Kato WH profile.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

milkbaby, riba, pd7077 and 8 others like this.
  28. Jul 4, 2019 #13768

ian

ian

ian

Supporting Member

That is gorgeous.

DitmasPork likes this.
  29. Jul 4, 2019 #13769

MontezumaBoy

MontezumaBoy

MontezumaBoy

What a beauty Ditmas! I have a very very similar blade but in AEB-L and can't say enough about him & his work. I just love the nose-to-tail approach that he has with his work and his F&F on all his blades/handles/saya's is second to none.

DitmasPork likes this.
  30. Jul 4, 2019 #13770

Xenif

Xenif

Xenif

Marking the end of the JNS Mazaki era
    Mazaki 180 Petty _20190704_170256.jpeg

osakajoe, DitmasPork and Carl Kotte like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted