Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The newer ss clad ones seem to be significantly lighter than the iron clad used to be. The old 210 I had was 227 and 240 was 253. The newer ss clad 240 I had was 213. This seems to about what they weight now looking at what others posted.

Don't know if it's just the stainless clad though. I got 1 of the 2 remaining iron clad and mine is only 233g with keyaki handle. He said both was 230g. The knife feels a lot more balanced than my old stainless clad Toyama (217g but a lot more weight towards the blade), so I think perhaps both blades weight similar and keyaki is just a bit more heavy than ho wood.

Don't know if it's just the stainless clad though. I got 1 of the 2 remaining iron clad and mine is only 233g with keyaki handle. He said both was 230g. The knife feels a lot more balanced than my old stainless clad Toyama (217g but a lot more weight towards the blade), so I think perhaps both blades weight similar and keyaki is just a bit more heavy than ho wood.
You might be right. The iron clads I had were 3 or so years old so maybe newer ones of any type are lighter.

I think these newer knives are starting to get thinner as well. Not quite as workhorsey but still a beast of a knife just by size. But yes, Almost all of the weight rests near the heel. I think newer Toyamas are looking like this too but not sure 100%.

I’ve been reading some very good reports on knives made by Mert Tansu. When the opportunity came up I picked up two of his knives. The first is a 230mm gyuto of his Hunter Valley Branch line. 230mm San Mai 1095 core, mild steel cladding, 50mm at the heel. A fully reactive blade which I like very much. Nice Bocote and Blackwood handle. It would look to be a very nice everyday workhorse. The second is a much more refined finish 260mm Sam Mai gyuto. Blue#2 core with a soft iron cladding. 52mm at the heel, beautiful spalted tamarind handle and complete with case and very nice saya.

Both knives seem to be very reflective of the personality of the maker. No nonsense workhorses with beefy demeanour’s ready to get to work. I’ll test fly both of them this weekend.

9D319FF5-D2AC-4C5F-BBF7-C9ADD127BFB3.jpeg
7ADB65EA-4CF5-4F5E-B7B3-4D2E07B3C9B7.jpeg
F0964400-9E09-416F-A376-8D1A43000BB0.jpeg

My small collection of unusual Kurouchi finish TF's

Top - Morihei 240 Ku W#1 gyuto and soft iron cladding, finished on Jnats by Morihei. No mistaking that TF DNA.
Middle - 210 Denka gyuto with 'tou cou' kanji and Ebony handle.
Bottom - 120 Ku Maboroshi petty, leftover from a custom order for a wedding (lucky guests).

TFTFTFTF

Last edited:
Whats the edge retention like on the Jiro. Have you sharpened it?

I can see why you kept the lower 2. 3rd one down looks like a Haburn. Whats the bottom one? Very nice

Love the Jiro so far, but haven't had it for very long. Purchased sans handle, and just got it back from Ken with the handle. He did a great job, as the spine is very stout, and I really want the balance to be at the pinch. Speaking of thick spines, Mert's HVB also quite thick.

Yes - 3rd knife down is Ian's work, which I love. Great product and very professional to work with. He made a matching bunka which I use often and need to clean up. The bottom knife is a TX knives Damasteel from Denmark with Elm burl. My first try of Damasteel. Great cutter. Handle is possibly a little small for my tastes.

My best guess, I cut up some kebab veg (onion zucchini mushroom and pepper). Only lateral move was flicking out seeds. Or I could be a clumsy oaf on the board. Learning experience! The tip is crazy fine, like the Ikeda w3 I have.

Finally got this beautiful knife from @Andrei and it is wonderful. @Andrei was a pleasure to work with and his communication and professionalism was A+. He made the knife exactly to the specs I wanted. Couldn't be more pleased. Steel is T-1 san mai clad. Lunar Ebony handle. Specs are:
274 grams, heel at 60mm, blade at 250mm, OAL 410mm, 5mm thick out of handle with strong distal taper.
IMG_0982.jpg
IMG_0983.jpg
IMG_0984.jpg
IMG_0986.jpg
IMG_0985.jpg
IMG_0987.jpg
IMG_0988.jpg

Finally got this beautiful knife from @Andrei and it is wonderful. @Andrei was a pleasure to work with and his communication and professionalism was A+. He made the knife exactly to the specs I wanted. Couldn't be more pleased. Steel is T-1 san mai clad. Lunar Ebony handle. Specs are:
274 grams, heel at 60mm, blade at 250mm, OAL 410mm, 5mm thick out of handle with strong distal taper.
View attachment 61409 View attachment 61408 View attachment 61407 View attachment 61405 View attachment 61406 View attachment 61404 View attachment 61403
100% my taste!

View attachment 61409 View attachment 61408 View attachment 61407 View attachment 61405 View attachment 61406 View attachment 61404 View attachment 61403
@Andrei does excellent work. Every single knife I bought from him exceeded expectations. One of his knives is my wife's favorite and that says a lot...

View attachment 61411
His and hers....
Thank you guys very much for your kind words and beautiful photos

I honestly don’t know how ashy2classy could part with this Takeda Classic 240 Gyuto but I’m sure glad he did. To my eye it’s perfect, and with Takeda that says something very special. It may be possible but I have never found another maker who produces a blade like Takeda does. Incredibly thin and sharp. Beautiful karouchi finish. Amazing S grind. I like his knives so much that I rarely pass one of his AS blades by. This is not a small knife yet it weighs a mere 174gms. I have found all of the Takeda knives I own very easy to sharpen and I’m sure this gyuto is no different. I believe they are very reasonably priced but if you are looking for a thick bladed workhorse this is probably not the knife for you.

7FCCD855-013B-4FD7-8322-0D2E1ADFFB3C.jpeg
99B142CD-5C27-4927-A164-F3134061B117.jpeg
3A867593-A89E-4332-9E63-8D6467F863DF.jpeg

Last edited:
I honestly don’t know how ashy2classy could part with this Takeda Classic 240 Gyuto but I’m sure glad he did. To my eye it’s perfect, and with Takeda that says something very special. It may be possible but I have never found another maker who produces a blade like Takeda does. Incredibly thin and sharp. Beautiful karouchi finish. Amazing S grind. I like his knives so much that I rarely pass one of his AS blades by. This is not a small knife yet it weighs a mere 174gms. I have found all of the Takeda knives I own very easy to sharpen and I’m sure this gyuto is no different. I believe they are very reasonably priced but if you are looking for a thick bladed workhorse this is probably not the knife for you.

View attachment 61498 View attachment 61499 View attachment 61500

That profile almost resembles a santoku - is it in fact as straight/bull-nosed as it looks, and if so, is that by design? It's a beauty!

Back