Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That profile almost resembles a santoku - is it in fact as straight/bull-nosed as it looks, and if so, is that by design? It's a beauty!
Beer bellied profiles are out of fashion right now, which means you gotta either have a bull-nose tip or have the tip-end of the spine angled down towards the board, like so:
29316243xp.jpg

Both of these styles...
zoolander-blogmutt-so-hot-right-now.jpg

If you don't pick one or the other, you get this: :p
dm0706_1.jpg

Last edited:
There definitely is a “santoku” look to Takeda’s gyuto. Compared to other santoku’s that I own this gyuto has more “belly” which provides a better “rock” chopping ability than my santoku’s. Takeda also makes a more conventional gyuto shape in his sasanoha blade which I find is also very nice. This blade ... one of his fully reactive “AS” series, has an aerogami super steel core with a soft iron cladding. The karouchi finish has a lot of texture which gives the blade excellent food release and some rust resistance. I find the appearance to be very rustic and attractive. This is in contrast to his current production which has a stainless cladding with somewhat less texture. I understand that Takeda has stopped producing the “AS” or “Classic” series in preference to the stainless clad “NAS” series. Though not impossible the AS series Takeda’s are getting a little hard to find which is why I generally buy any well priced AS series Takeda’s that I encounter. This blade is an excellent example of Takeda’s “S” grind which I like and I have found more pronounced in his “AS” series when compared to his current production “NAS” series.

Was looking for a stainless petty for fruit — almost all my other knives are carbons. Found an interesting size: 180mm. Misono 440 180mm 'slicer'.
Here with a 150mm for comparison.
Note the typical Misono spear point tip, and the relatively large handle.

Nice detail at this price point: the spine has been polished.

Last edited:
NOS Teruyasu Fujiwara Yo Denka 210 gyuto. This ones also got a very nice Ebony handle.
Blade forged by TF and reprofiled with a finer edge by the master himself by special request. Choil shot speaks for itself.
Fruit and veg just beg for mercy....:surrendar:

8n3m560.jpg
That is an awesome grind.

I haven't cooked large meals recently, so no chance to use both nakiris side by side for a long period of time. However, so far the White wedges more but has better food release, and the Blue the opposite. Which I think can be seen in the choil shots probably?

@CiderBear I'd love to get a Wat nakiri. Which of yours do you like more, and why? It looks like the white 'special' is still available on his website. Are you still happy with the 180mm length, and do you see any use for a 165? Would also value your thoughts on the handles. BTW, I've learned a ton from your posts, so thank you!

@sumofruit I like the Blue #2 more. It doesn't wedge food, and the fit and finish is worlds better. If you look at the Sharpening subforum, you should be able to find a thread I made about removing KU, because the White 2 has a disgusting KU finish, and the grind has some hollow spots. I finally spent a couple hours this week stripping the KU and trying to make the blade road even.

I like the 180mm length and weight too. I don't have the 165mm, but I imagine it would be pretty annoying trying to cut a larger onion with. I'm not a fast cutter, so I don't really need a lighter knife.

As for handles: I have 3 Wat handles: Honduran rosewood, ho wood, and keyaki. My favorite is keyaki, close second is the rosewood. The rosewood on my nakiri feels quite substantial, so the handle is a bit shorter than the ho wood handle. I've made a thread about Wat handle upgrades - if you go through it you'll see lots of Wat handles that other members have posted. I think ho wood is pretty boring, so I'm not the best person to give advice on this. One thing that really annoys me though is that the horn ferrule on my ho handle isn't polished (the one on the keyaki handle is)

Here's the White 2 with its disgusting KU, before and after photos. You can see that the blade face isn't nice and flat like the Blue 2 around the lamination line.

18BY5MZ.jpg

29sr3az.jpg

IyhwnqO.jpg

rbAITEz.jpg

And the 2 knives side by side before.

wUupKVx.jpg

OZqwVzl.jpg

Last edited:
@sumofruit I like the Blue #2 more. It doesn't wedge food, and the fit and finish is worlds better. If you look at the Sharpening subforum, you should be able to find a thread I made about removing KU, because the White 2 has a disgusting KU finish, and the grind has some hollow spots. I finally spent a couple hours this week stripping the KU and trying to make the blade road even.

I like the 180mm length and weight too. I don't have the 165mm, but I imagine it would be pretty annoying trying to cut a larger onion with. I'm not a fast cutter, so I don't really need a lighter knife.

As for handles: I have 3 Wat handles: Honduran rosewood, ho wood, and keyaki. My favorite is keyaki, close second is the rosewood. The rosewood on my nakiri feels quite substantial, so the handle is a bit shorter than the ho wood handle. I've made a thread about Wat handle upgrades - if you go through it you'll see lots of Wat handles that other members have posted. I think ho wood is pretty boring, so I'm not the best person to give advice on this. One thing that really annoys me though is that the horn ferrule on my ho handle isn't polished (the one on the keyaki handle is)

Here's the White 2 with its disgusting KU, before and after photos. You can see that the blade face isn't nice and flat like the Blue 2 around the lamination line.

18BY5MZ.jpg

29sr3az.jpg

IyhwnqO.jpg

rbAITEz.jpg

And the 2 knives side by side before.

wUupKVx.jpg

OZqwVzl.jpg
Wow, @CiderBear - this is so incredibly helpful. Thank you for being so thorough and clear. Both are beautiful, and I'm amazed at how you were able to clean up the White. I'm so inspired!!! (And based on your rec, I'm likely going to go with the Blue - this will actually be my first Blue ..)

Wow, @CiderBear - this is so incredibly helpful. Thank you for being so thorough and clear. Both are beautiful, and I'm amazed at how you were able to clean up the White. I'm so inspired!!! (And based on your rec, I'm likely going to go with the Blue - this will actually be my first Blue ..)

Of course, happy to help. Lmk if you have any other questions.

Unrelated: I checked his site and it looks like someone grabbed the last 240mm iron clad with keyaki handle ever. Damn. I was seriously debating hoarding it lol.

Of course, happy to help. Lmk if you have any other questions.

Unrelated: I checked his site and it looks like someone grabbed the last 240mm iron clad with keyaki handle ever. Damn. I was seriously debating hoarding it lol.

Didn't you already get the second to last one -- ever?! I was going to ask you about that. Jealous. :)

That was my first thought but when I looked at my Ginsu collection they were all scalloped edges. I checked Wikipedia but didn’t learn much. I found a slip of paper in the scratchy one that said “Blue”. The shiny one had a slip of paper in it that said “Tamahagane”. Don’t know what that all means. I’ll keep searching.

Let us play Price is right.,who ever guesses the price of the 2 without going over wins what is behind door #1., a small flat rate box filled with armour wrap 6x6 paper. Free to conus., then you come clean. Who what where when $$. ??

Back in August thebradleycrew sold me a HF 240 gyuto. I like to welcome new members of my family by using them in the prep of a special meal. To me this knife demanded among the ultimate in comfort food meals ... a roast pork belly dinner. It took me a month to get it done but here it is. A gorgeous HF gyuto and a great meal.

F63D14B8-0854-4CE2-B7D5-86CCCC5BCA58.jpeg
7EA31816-BC1F-4F12-8F1A-5CF5366BBCC5.jpeg
C697A977-E22F-4DD4-97CE-9225E29A4995.jpeg
C17EA763-F762-4F65-AD8B-93C84474F8CC.jpeg
508C974F-083C-48F2-887E-010DE5E07483.jpeg

Kato wh 240...
Just some first impressions after having some time with the knife. It feels and looks different from any other Japanese knife I've used and seen. The steel and cladding feels hard ( similar to hinoura in terms that it's got a crystal-like "ting" when you touch it on the nail) .The finish is perfect in its simplicity and you can tell that nothing is left to randomness: shape grind...kanji. Obsession about having exactly flat profile on either side and the tapering which is perfectly straight and thin kind of lets you wondering if this is machine made or human skill refined to perfection. To be honest i was expecting a bulky knife with a thick cross section...but it's actually slimmer than most s grind gyutos and i expect it to flow through food when being used. Last but not least Maxim fits very nicely a smooth handle and oils the blade before sending it...very professional.
I will let the pictures speak for themselves. Now i want to try it out and see how it cuts.
20190924_185804.jpg
20190924_185833.jpg
20190924_185922.jpg
20190924_185741.jpg

Last edited:
Back in August thebradleycrew sold me a HF 240 gyuto. I like to welcome new members of my family by using them in the prep of a special meal. To me this knife demanded among the ultimate in comfort food meals ... a roast pork belly dinner. It took me a month to get it done but here it is. A gorgeous HF gyuto and a great meal.

View attachment 61642 View attachment 61643 View attachment 61644 View attachment 61645 View attachment 61646

Nice to see this found a good home. I definitely miss it. Such a badass blade

Back