Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my first new knife of 2020: a Yoshimune Nakiri W#1 165 mm. I had never tried a nakiri before and thought this maker had a unique style. The fit and finish is a bit rough and it looks a little chunky toward the distal end when you look down the spine, but it cuts well and came with a nice handle. The tsuchime also looks better in person than advertised. I appreciate that the blade is single "authorship" (if I understood correctly) and thought it was a good way to try a new knife style too.
I'm waiting for my first Nakiri to arrive

What steel did he use?
52A1A159-EF20-419D-BAD7-E51A57D94651.jpeg

zdi-1416 Haven’t found much on it other than it’s a Russian brand’s Damascus.

Interesting, Russian version of damasteel. Except instead of the AEB-L equivalent for the second steel it's a much higher carbon/higher chromium steel so can probably get harder.

Fortunate to snag a parer directly from Butch. XHP and Koa.
He’s got paring handles figured out—coke bottle up and down and side to side, but still rectangular. Really comfy in hand.
View attachment 67963
I really like the look of those Harners. Can you put a penny in the picture or something else that shows the scale? They always look big in stand-alone photos.

Thank you for the good appreciation of my work.
The composition of this composition in the last two lines of the table.

Well my Russian googling was way off :(
I thought it was
C 0.95-1.10, Cr 11.0-12.5, V 0.15-0.30, Mo 0.40-0.60
C 1.75-1.85, Cr 17.5-18.5

I just bought this gorgeous Nick Anger damascus petty knife and I am so excited to see it in person soon!! I have a collection of single bevel knives, so I am excited to add something new to the mix.

Attachments

• 8A81F0CC-6521-4759-867D-836CF160629B.jpeg
    8A81F0CC-6521-4759-867D-836CF160629B.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 112
Oh my! That Sugimoto is sweeeeet!

Thank you Brian, I hope you’re right! It looks pretty cool, and it is surprisingly heavy and robust. I haven’t tried it out yet since it arrived with a significant chip. I spent some time just now taking it out. The edge seems very promising [emoji16][emoji1303]

[[PS - does anyone know an easy way for me to not upload such gigantic pictures? can I get IMGUR to downsample the image somehow, or do I need to upload lower-res pics? Thank you @CiderBear (see below for answer)]]

I got three knives recently:
  • Wakui White#2, stainless clad kasumi finish from Epicurean Edge
  • Dalman paring knife (one of these)
  • Mazaki White#2 iron clad from @Bcos17 via BST, originated from Knives and Stones (link to BST thread)

Pics and Thoughts:
Wakui White#2
I didn't get along with this knife right away. My gut reaction was that it cut well but I just didn't connect with it well. After using it for more time, I started enjoying it more and now I actually like it. When I started looking into better Japanese knives, I bought a Toyama which cost around double the Wakui. I still like the Toyama better, but I'm very impressed with this knife's value proposition. It cuts nicely and has pretty decent food release considering how thin it is.

E1G269x.jpg

evkGU1am.jpg

Dalman Paring Knife
I feel really lucky to get this knife. It's always a race when Robin releases a new batch. The handle is torched oak, the steel is carbon steel from reclaimed sawblade hardened to 64HRC. Robin notes the knife has a super thin edge, and my gosh he is right. I hope you can see it in the picture, look at where the blade meets the handle (I know the focus is off, sorry -- it was a cell phone pic!). 85mm edge, 195 overall length. I've never enjoyed using a paring knife as much as this one. I've probably used it in every single meal I've cooked since receiving the knife. The little tasks are a lot of fun. Peeling anything with this knife is a joy... I've peeled celery a couple times just because. Love it, can't say enough positive things about it here. I'll probably be in the race for some future releases from Mr. Dalman.

zVQKgSL.jpg

a1Pa1eo.png

MYbxb5Ol.jpg

Mazaki White #2 (KnS version, upgraded handle)
Honestly, I was skeptical of this knife initially because it was long and of a different profile than I've been using so far. I touched it up on a 6k when I received it and have used it a couple times now. My initial impressions are overwhelmingly positive. This knife is a slayer. I connected really well with the profile, to my surprise. I don't notice its length; it just feels like another 240 to me. It's a bit heavy, but I like that. The balance point with the custom handle is really nice. I'm itching to use it again. I doubt I'll let this one go.
kuZwjNb.jpg

1EOminvm.jpg

Last edited:
[[PS - does anyone know an easy way for me to not upload such gigantic pictures? can I get IMGUR to downsample the image somehow, or do I need to upload lower-res pics?]]

Try adding l (for large) or m (for medium) right before .jpg

So if your link is i.imgur.com/ciderbear.jpg, change it to i.imgur.com/ciderbearl.jpg or i.imgur.com/ciderbearm.jpg

Should help with scaling a bit

From well known auction site - needs some attention obviously. It was advertised as a yanagi, but I think it might be a fuguhiki.
27 cm (41,5 cm overall), hight at heel 3 cm, 141 grams.

Does anyone have an idea who made this?

Also, does anyone know what's the deal with the branded handle?

Kind regards

kanji.jpg
yanagi3.jpg

For a few years I’ve been following a Muteki knife-smith by the name of Alex Horn. When I heard that he was leaving the knife-making business for further adventures I picked up one of his knives. Here’s a pic ...

A420759F-B266-43A2-B364-61F6787C3B68.jpeg

Now there are a few things about this knife that make it special to me. First is that it is a hand forged and finished blade made from a 1095 core and an A203-E cladding. These are fairly old steels and are fully reactive. 1095 is relatively soft, but very easy to sharpen and takes a great edge. Secondly the blade is a true laser, yet very stiff. 227mm x 56mm x 2.34mm at the heel. 163 gms. It tapers quickly from the heel. Thirdly, the blade is hand finished without any scratch marks and has a very interesting etched finish that I can’t identify and haven’t seen before. In use the blade was very resistant to forming any patina at all.

I put the knife to use prepping a mire pois for a soup and the fixings for a tomato, sweet onion, bacon and cheese bunchwich for lunch. The blade easily did a “no hands” slicing of the tomato. ... Nice! It has a very nice ironwood handle which is a little thin for my tastes but very usable.

It will be unfortunate if Alex has indeed moved on to new adventures that doesn’t involve making knives. In my opinion this knife has some unique features that easily make it one of my “not for sale at any price” knives. Here’s a few more pics.

FBC9CAF1-38A0-4EC5-95A4-8EE10A5474ED.jpeg
F74C9520-97E4-4FAA-A8A8-D1DF2C5D4928.jpeg
4A6BEE82-CE36-447E-9020-B16F7A2A37BA.jpeg
09836545-BA36-4EB3-B71C-3942EA6328AC.jpeg
6C4BDBC0-4A0A-43A3-99DC-7779B97C8420.jpeg

The blade easily did a “no hands” slicing of the tomato. ... Nice!

Woah, usually I have to use my hands to hold the knife at least, but judging from the picture, this really is a no hands cut! That must be one of the

unique features that easily make it one of my “not for sale at any price” knives

;)

Hasn't landed yet, but some teaser photos of my custom 52100 integral from Tony LaSeur. I don't know the specs of it yet, but other than being a bit shorter than I wanted, it's spot on! Tony is one of the best around and, IMO, is SOOOO underrated in the knife community. Those in the know understand how good his work is, but he doesn't get the attention that other more well-known makers get. I can't wait to see this thing in person!

49346618862_74eeb287b6_k.jpg

49345937138_d09d183f24_k.jpg

49345937303_0e91c150c6_k.jpg

49346611752_c8aed7b4c0_k.jpg

49345937553_4ebe2e1678_k.jpg

Hasn't landed yet, but some teaser photos of my custom 52100 integral from Tony LaSeur. I don't know the specs of it yet, but other than being a bit shorter than I wanted, it's spot on! Tony is one of the best around and, IMO, is SOOOO underrated in the knife community. Those in the know understand how good his work is, but he doesn't get the attention that other more well-known makers get. I can't wait to see this thing in person!

49346618862_74eeb287b6_k.jpg

49345937138_d09d183f24_k.jpg

49345937303_0e91c150c6_k.jpg

49346611752_c8aed7b4c0_k.jpg

49345937553_4ebe2e1678_k.jpg
That's a beaut.

Back