Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been eyeing these for a longggg time. How do you like the geometry? How does it behave on the board with different ingredients?
Geometry for me is great, came with a bit of a hollow in between the edge and the shinogi, flattened the bevels and it seems to not have much effect on food sticking. I've only really tried on potato/carrots/onions and it flys through them very nicely. Pretty thick at the heel then tapers down to almost nothing going to the tip. Has a nice little curve at the tip, gives enough clearance for me to not stab the tip into your board; which is a huge plus for me as I've been used to a 195 Fujiwara maboroshi with quite a belly. 10/10 would purchase again if I had enough cash laying around lol.

A rare Dalman appeared... I've been trying to get one of these for a while so it was very exciting when I finally lucked out. I'll hopefully be able to cook something large with it on Friday.

Apologies for the terrible photography, my phone died so I'm using an old spare.

Hk9G2fW.jpg

A rare Dalman appeared... I've been trying to get one of these for a while so it was very exciting when I finally lucked out. I'll hopefully be able to cook something large with it on Friday.

Apologies for the terrible photography, my phone died so I'm using an old spare.

Hk9G2fW.jpg

Please keep us posted. The Corona box is very fitting.

Awesome, is that the 210 or the 240?

Geometry for me is great, came with a bit of a hollow in between the edge and the shinogi, flattened the bevels and it seems to not have much effect on food sticking. I've only really tried on potato/carrots/onions and it flys through them very nicely. Pretty thick at the heel then tapers down to almost nothing going to the tip. Has a nice little curve at the tip, gives enough clearance for me to not stab the tip into your board; which is a huge plus for me as I've been used to a 195 Fujiwara maboroshi with quite a belly. 10/10 would purchase again if I had enough cash laying around lol.
Good to know. I handled one at JKI some time ago and loved the profile and was impressed with the distal taper.. glad to hear the knife moves through carrot and potato really well. Thanks!

Got this a week ago from the lovely folks at Carbon Knife co. Kagekiyo white 2 kiritsuke gyuto 240mm. Fit and finish was the nicest ootb from any blade I've purchased. A bit blade heavy but it feels great. Being stuck at home, I couldn't resist but putting it to the stones. A few low spots but it was fairly easy to get rid of them. Got a bit of a wave on the shinogi but that should be fixed eventually since I have alot of time in my hands in the near future lol. thanks for looking!View attachment 74830 View attachment 74831 View attachment 74832
A lot to like with a choil shot like that!

Got this a week ago from the lovely folks at Carbon Knife co. Kagekiyo white 2 kiritsuke gyuto 240mm. Fit and finish was the nicest ootb from any blade I've purchased. A bit blade heavy but it feels great. Being stuck at home, I couldn't resist but putting it to the stones. A few low spots but it was fairly easy to get rid of them. Got a bit of a wave on the shinogi but that should be fixed eventually since I have alot of time in my hands in the near future lol. thanks for looking!View attachment 74830 View attachment 74831 View attachment 74832

How's that Kagekiyo performing? I've had my eye on a white 240 for a while. I like everything about it visually, but no idea how it cuts.

Mine went to Chicago 2 weeks ago
and tracking hasn’t changed—and I am located near Boston! Going to try tracking it down another way but not expecting miracles.

Don't stress about it. This is common, especially with Chicago (which is where many packages from Northern Europe travel through). Myself and others have had hold-ups in Chicago with packages from Sweden. They don't update often times until its almost at your door. I had separate packages from Robin and Marius mail within a day of each other. Robin's took 2.5-3 weeks and Marius' took closer to 5 weeks.

I had two packages hit the NYC customs office at the same time, one got processed Sunday, the other Monday, the Monday package started moving and was delivered today, the Sunday package has not hit USPS yet. Go figure. I think customs is a total crapshoot, nothing you can do except wait and hope.

Mine says departed NY but no delivery time given... we’re getting closer though. And yeah I’ve had a couple parcels get forgotten in Chicago but they always eventually arrive.

Courtesy of Pensacola Tiger, I came to own a Caublestone Cutlery K-Tip Gyuto forged by Daniel Cauble. It features a San Mai construction with a W2 core and a 1018 soft iron cladding.
The handle is stabilized dyed Maple burl, Stabilized Cherry burl, desert ironwood with anodized Ti spacers. It is 227mm x 55mm x 2.73mm at the heel. The knife weighs in at 246gms. Here’s a few pics of the knife ...

A22C7576-935D-496F-8265-6290E4D42FD4.jpeg
0EA65BB6-5F40-4ABC-901C-CEFDBFC08251.jpeg
87394865-1A99-4F25-BD76-092C63A8065F.jpeg
9DAE1764-FFE0-4D0D-ABF9-C26424D1E1A9.jpeg
FD721A11-EC9F-4F6E-9991-44DBD31ECD96.jpeg
8CF60D28-972D-4BC4-AC6C-70918839322C.jpeg

I happened to choose today to clear out my freezer and accumulated a number of packages of frozen chicken that I have been saving for stock. As I’m out of stock I decided to put the Cauble to work prepping the chicken (thawed) and whatever veggies that needed using. Here’s a few pics of the stock making process.

17AEE11E-E3F1-4EEA-980E-3398BDACE002.jpeg
50024F66-1889-429C-9A6F-F1CDF68946EA.jpeg
596143C1-592B-475E-845C-F683B3309830.jpeg
B594E9A1-554A-4BC7-8F48-7D57C8F32E6E.jpeg

While not a full blown “Welcome to the family meal”, I thought that making stock ... the basis of many of my meals ... was a satisfactory substitute. Coming off of using a virtually identical Akebono Shiraki K-Tip, I was very surprised at the difference between the two knives. The Cauble was lighter in hand ... easier to maneuver. Considering that I was literally “boning” the chicken to prepare it for the stock pot, I resolved to be very careful but was surprised how maneuverable the Cauble felt. No problem at all navigating around a few bones and a much lighter feel than the Akebono. Probably due to the larger handle and more balance between handle and blade. It’s also worth noting that Pensacola Tiger delivered one of the sharpest knives I’ve received ... apparently using JKI Diamond stones. The last item that pleased me greatly is the wonderful patina which arose out of this limited use. In all a great knife and nice addition to my collection.

Yeah its even better in person than the pictures on his website. Reminds me a lot of a Halcyon Forge that I bought last year.

It’s Heiji day! Ordered these in August and they finally arrived.

View attachment 74965

180mm “pettyo”, 40mm tall, semistainless
210mm petty/suji, 35mm tall, carbon

both with burnt chestnut D-handles
Hey,
are these custom made? If so how much input did you have. How much was it per knife? Would you recomend ordering from him directly even if I didn't want custom? How are his prices in general? Thanks

Hey,
are these custom made? If so how much input did you have. How much was it per knife? Would you recomend ordering from him directly even if I didn't want custom? How are his prices in general? Thanks

The 180 is custom, at least in height at the heel. And I guess I requested a specific handle for both. Direct prices are quite good: each of them was somewhat in the neighborhood of $200 shipped, maybe a little more. You just have to be prepared to wait. Mine took 7-8 months, although many people get theirs in four. They’re not the quickest to respond to emails, and the language barrier is there... I don’t think he understood everything I said.

The 180 is custom, at least in height at the heel. And I guess I requested a specific handle for both. Direct prices are quite good: each of them was somewhat in the neighborhood of $200 shipped, maybe a little more. You just have to be prepared to wait. Mine took 7-8 months, although many people get theirs in four. They’re not the quickest to respond to emails, and the language barrier is there... I don’t think he understood everything I said.
How'd they turn out though? They look beautiful. I'm a sucker for a burnt chestnut handle, despite not having handled one yet...

Good so far! Have yet to really put them to the test. They’re thicker knives, so not the best in the carrot wedge test, but that’s not their purpose. Thin slices of carrots are a dream, though.

Reactions: dan
Good so far! Have yet to really put them to the test. They’re thicker knives, so not the best in the carrot wedge test, but that’s not their purpose. Thin slices of carrots are a dream, though.
Those look awesome man! That 180 is absolutely the perfect petty. Would love one like that one day.

Reactions: ian
Back