Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did you not realize the height when you ordered it?? how does it cut? the choil looks a lot like shigehiro

I knew it would be on the narrow side but couldn’t resist the value. It cuts really good.

when the price is low, so is the amount of time thinking about the specs.

@soigne_west, when you get sick of it, you can consider selling it to me. :)

Get in line :p

My 240 Ikeda came today. Anybody else’s have some scratching on the finish? It’s in a few different spots, pretty minor. No big deal. This might be too narrow for me.
View attachment 76303 View attachment 76304 View attachment 76305 View attachment 76306 View attachment 76307

I got one too. Not sure why but couldn’t pass it up. I didn’t notice any unusual scratches. I knew it was on the short side height wise but it just feels really really good in the hand. I will check mine out closer tomorrow.

Got my ikeda today! And a cheap practice knife.

Quick question: I saw a video that says to take off the vinyl coating with acetone (japanese knife imports channel on YT). This is my first knife. Should I be doing that?
I took off the coating of mine with pure acetone. Just remember to keep pointing the tip downward so that the acetone won’t flow to the handle and ruin the finish there.

I took off the coating of mine with pure acetone. Just remember to keep pointing the tip downward so that the acetone won’t flow to the handle and ruin the finish there.
How do you know definitively whether there is a coating on a blade, without testing it with acetone and/or waiting for any patina/rust to form -- do certain makers and/or merchants tend to send out their knives with a coating (vs not)? I'm pretty sure Wat knives aren't generally coated.

How do you know definitively whether there is a coating on a blade, without testing it with acetone and/or waiting for any patina/rust to form -- do certain makers and/or merchants tend to send out their knives with a coating (vs not)? I'm pretty sure Wat knives aren't generally coated.
I own 7 Watanabe knives, an eighth is on its way. None of them had a coat. In fact, I've only had 3 knives coated in all my knife career (2 high-end collectors knives, and a newer batch Masamoto KS).

I own 7 Watanabe knives, an eighth is on its way. None of them had a coat. In fact, I've only had 3 knives coated in all my knife career (2 high-end collectors knives, and a newer batch Masamoto KS).
Right. Is there a definitive way to tell when a knife is coated, without testing it with acetone/equivalent?

I think if you can see rainbow light reflection, there is coating. That’s how I try to know.

Set of „Gründonnerstag“:

38250675wd.jpeg

The tip is so thin, it is see-through:

38250676do.jpeg

38250677wx.jpeg

Those ikeda choils do look pretty similar shigehiro. I used to be picky with measurements height wise until I said eff it and grabbed a shigehiro 270 a couple months ago. I couldn’t care less it was only 50 mm tall when I picked it up and tried it the first time. Like it’s been said before the weight, balance, and grind makes up for it. I’ll remember these things the next time I see a 240/270 that’s a little shorter than I prefer. Those ikedas all looked great!

Mine has a weird squiggly thing but I don’t really care.

try out the knife. It’s short but it blows thru product. I think for a high volume workhorse it’s better to be shorter and closer to the product.

Mine has a squiggle too but seems to be the coating. Taking the coating off with acetone.

but it’s taking a while! The acetone I have must be weak.

Attachments

• 1C42F6A7-33A1-4936-9537-657AC5917643.jpeg
    1C42F6A7-33A1-4936-9537-657AC5917643.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 65
Mine has a squiggle too but seems to be the coating. Taking the coating off with acetone.

Your squiggly thing is a hamon. It’s what makes a honyaki. I’d reach out to bernal and have them walk you thru the process. I also don’t think that knife comes with much of an edge so you might need someone to put one on for you.

Yes, purity of acetone is important. I started with my wife’s acetone which made it a mess, then I went to CVS and found a bottle of pure acetone which did the trick.

The picture of ikeda honyaki I posted on #16362 is after I used acetone.

Your squiggly thing is a hamon. It’s what makes a honyaki. I’d reach out to bernal and have them walk you thru the process. I also don’t think that knife comes with much of an edge so you might need someone to put one on for you.
There was an actual squiggle near the cutting edge. Maybe it’s hard to see in the picture. I shouldve taken a before shot.

Yes, purity of acetone is important. I started with my wife’s acetone which made it a mess, then I went to CVS and found a bottle of pure acetone which did the trick.

The picture of ikeda honyaki I posted on #16362 is after I used acetone.

I refered back to the picture. It’s nice an shiny. Mine, not so much. Oh wells, gotta live and learn.

I’ll be sure to pick up a bottle of pure acetone when I get a chance. Took me over 20 mins to get the coating off

Trick is to soak the blade in acetone to melt the coating and then wipe in one action. Don't scrub as the vinyl will just smear.

@dan and @Dave Kinogie

Here's a choil of an HVB if this helps. And to answer your question, yes, I would say these are convex.

View attachment 76528

Thanks, Marc! Looks real nice. HVB is on my interest list, which seems to be growing around the same rate as COVID infections these days...

That's a much better job than I can do with choil shots, even with the finger-focus technique suggested earlier. Whenever I do that, my auto-focus immediately refocuses and loses clarity when i remove my finger!

Back