Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sneak peak of the latest catch while I'm breaking it in:
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200619174459754.jpg

Sneak peak of the latest catch while I'm breaking it in:
View attachment 84565

And here's the goods, a 275mm Catcheside special Damascus gyuto fresh off the truck from @thebradleycrew:
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200619193315762_COVER~2.jpg
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200619193335392_COVER~2.jpg

(The red in the second shot is the reflected sunset, not patina or rust.)

This is an enormous knife. Pictures don't really convey the immensity of the thing. Despite that, it's beautifully balanced and has a really awesome geometry so the tip is actually super useful--see the minced shallot in the previous post, which the tip just slipped through. I'm very excited about this knife.

I studied this Catcheside over and over with my thumb over the “buy it now” button. I love Catchside’s knives and would have happily added this one to my collection were I not on my enforced Covid induced moratorium. Great catch ... now fire up the smoker and go out and massacre some brisket. Congrats!

Anryu 210 AS Gyuto!! Just got in today. How is your edge so dark? Did you soak it in coffee overnight?
View attachment 83210
View attachment 83211

I did not. We (wife and I) use it for almost everything, but I think what does that deep blue is a combo of onions, garlic, and how we work. I started with an onion and some garlic actually. I use my finger for food release, and try to use the whole edge for cutting. I rock through the product to mince, leaving it on the blade for quite a while, then using my finger to smear it across the edge (carefully!) to release. It turned out this way on both my 240, and a White #2 Anryu 75mm petty I've got. I'm a total newb with carbon steel, so I guess I got lucky, and got what I wanted. A nice, dark, rich blue patina that seems to get better every time. Good luck!

I thought I would add some context to my decision to purchase a chef knife from Cut Brooklyn. As I said in a previous post, I have come to the world of artisan knives as an avid home cook. I am a university professor and I guard my favorite hobby intently. Cooking relaxes me and unlike my professional discipline (music), there is something tangible left after my artistic process. I really enjoy that. I have recently incorporated food photography into my cooking passion and I have an instagram feed (the_signaturedish) where I can enjoy both disciplines.

I have a lot of heroes in the culinary world. I especially revere Thomas Keller, David Chang, Tuffy Stone, Aaron franklin, and Massimo Bottura. All of them have a Cut Brooklyn knife. These chefs don't know the DNA of knives like many of you on the KKF forum, but they do know how to use a kitchen knife and they have used a lot of them. I value that experience.

I have been trying to purchase a CB knife for a year. Joel doesn't use an auction and he doesn't make custom knives. He makes the knives he wants to make and then posts them every other Sunday on his website at 5:00 pm. First come, first served. All of the available knives he posts are purchased within the first 20 seconds of the 5:00 pm minute. It is very difficult to purchase a knife.

Four years ago I could have purchased my knife from CB for $500. I purchased the knife for $750. I am sure that his knives will be even more in the next five years. At this point a Bob Kramer original is nearly impossible to purchase for under $15,000. I felt I had the opportunity to get a CB knife before it was out of reach.

I appreciate all of you who have supported and respected my decision. I very much enjoy learning from all of you.
Don’t listen to the naysayers. (it’s exhausting being negative 24/7, don’t know how some of these guys do it). I held a CB and was shocked at how much I liked it. Grind, steel, handle, whole package was pretty dope. Even the guys at JKI we’re pleasantly surprised at how cool it was. Plus this world is so diverse that anyone at any level can get what they need and it will serve them well. Hell, some of these guys even like TF’s smdh lolz. Doesn’t need to be a legendary sword smith forging on hallowed generational ground to be a fun knife to use.

Last edited:
First really nice knife I've owned. Gotta thank the forum for helping to educate my choosing process. Gengetsu 240 stainless clad W2. Couldn't be happier with it!
Nice. Though, when I saw the small thumbnail image, I thought you'd taken a picture of your knife placed next to a rock. Which was confusing. Now I'm hungry...

Don’t listen to the naysayers. (it’s exhausting being negative 24/7, don’t know how some of these guys do it). I held a CB and was shocked at how much I liked it. Grind, steel, handle, whole package was pretty dope. Even the guys at JKI we’re pleasantly surprised at how cool it was. Plus this world is so diverse that anyone at any level can get what they need and it will serve them well. Hell, some of these guys even like TF’s smdh lolz. Doesn’t need to be a legendary sword smith forging on hallowed generational ground to be a fun knife to use.

Thank you! 🙏 I’m happy to hear there are other fans of CB on KKF. I also appreciate your positivity, enthusiasm and open mindedness. I love all sorts of knives. They simply need character, soul, and performance. I certainly get all three attributes from Cut Brooklyn.

Hi!

I finally was able to purchase my dream knife, a 240mm Shigefusa Yo-Kitaeji Gyuto and all I can say is that I am very very happy at the moment.

38835731zs.jpg

38835737nz.jpg

The knife wasn't usable out of the box, the edge was sharpend down to zero.
38835764jl.jpg

I had to use my bogdan to put a microbevel on it.
38836228du.jpg

It took me 2 minutes (5/2/1 strokes on each side with Naniwa Professional 5K, 4/1 with Naniwa Sharpening Stone 12K) and it looked that way:
38835778yt.jpg

So now it is ready for the first cuts!

Best,
Mack

Hi!

I finally was able to purchase my dream knife, a 240mm Shigefusa Yo-Kitaeji Gyuto and all I can say is that I am very very happy at the moment.

38835731zs.jpg

38835737nz.jpg

The knife wasn't usable out of the box, the edge was sharpend down to zero.
38835764jl.jpg

I had to use my bogdan to put a microbevel on it.
38836228du.jpg

It took me 2 minutes (5/2/1 strokes on each side with Naniwa Professional 5K, 4/1 with Naniwa Sharpening Stone 12K) and it looked that way:
38835778yt.jpg

So now it is ready for the first cuts!

Best,
Mack

That is absolutely stunning! May I ask where you purchased it from? Thank you very much for sharing.

Had a look at CB website, third knife from the left looks good, a 240 Western. Would I like to give it a try? Probably! Would I purchase this knife for 700+$? No. But tastes and preferences (for technical aspects, or even brand or maker preferences) are so different and highly subjective. I’d participate in a PA though!

Last edited:
That is absolutely stunning! May I ask where you purchased it from? Thank you very much for sharing.

Thank you. I bought it from a German knife collector. Never seen one on the free market unfortunately. But good for my wallet.

Mack.

Wow, 2 shigs today - the kitaeji is near impossible to find

Yeah...Shigefusa knives are getting harder and harder to locate these days, especially after Tokifusa Iizuka san retired 2, 3 years ago, now is just his two sons doing all the work, and they don’t do much Kitaeji.

Here are shigs that I collected over the years.
5347BF44-42BA-4453-A30A-8C77F89ECC7B.jpeg

Yeah...Shigefusa knives are getting harder and harder to locate these days, especially after Tokifusa Iizuka san retired 2, 3 years ago, now is just his two sons doing all the work, and they don’t do much Kitaeji.

Here are shigs that I collected over the years. View attachment 84690
Where are you from?

Back