Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PXL_20201008_090626730.jpg

Details revealing in my Konosuke Kaiju.

Just received an awesome custom petty made by Simon Maillet, a Frenchman whose been forging knives in Sheffield, England—a city with quite an illustrious past in knife making.

I'd been needing a petty, but was also considering a custom, single-bevel deba from Simon—went with a petty in the end.

I requested a 150 x 35mm petty with a good distal taper, asking for a thick outta the handle spine, which he'd obliged. Knife hand forged from 115Cr3 steel, with a one-piece black walnut handle—came with a custom fit, tulip wood saya, gratis, a nice perk. My preference is for tallish petty knives.

Really dig seeing process shots along the way, from a glowing piece of metal, all the way through to finished knife.

I discovered Simon's work through Scott of Sheffield Knife Sharpening. Simon was very communicative and a pleasure to work with. I'm a big fan of supporting one-person knife making operations—his authorship evident in every aspect of the knife made by his hands.

Looking forward to putting this petty to work.

View attachment 97817
View attachment 97818
View attachment 97819
View attachment 97820
View attachment 97823
View attachment 97828
Stamped "S"

I'm all in!

Toyama 270 SS clad Suji!

Might not look like much this knife, but, it does preform excellent. OOTB sharpnes is excellent, brings me back to holding a new Kato WH in the hand, back in the days when they where grabbable for Chefs with a lower sallary without time to sit around waiting for one to drop on JNS 24/7. That said, it feels different, less beefy but still excels during use. It does have some "heft" to it so think it can be good in prep.
Already made the mandatory fist sacrifice while cutting Julienne for a Japanese inspired lunch w a bunch of ginger/carrots/raddishes/spring onion. It did great. Will give it a light touch on my big Nagura. Will take some time getting use to the extra 6-7 cm from my Kato Suji, but can´t wait.

Reactivity is definitely there, but takes a bit of sloppiness.
Image(1).jpeg
Image(3).jpeg
Image(4).jpeg

Steel by Lundbergs 330/44 sujihiki/bbq sword (that's what the maker calls it). 26c3 mono steel, thuja burl/ebony handle.

Managed to sell a few knives, including my Shiro Kamo carbon damascus 270. The new knife is much stiffer, and feels better for my purposes.

8 cm petty for scale. Did not have any bananas for comparison.

IMG_1844.jpeg

So, today I picked up a Misono Swedish 150mm petty - or so I thought!

Coming home the knife felt somewhat small to me so I checked its measurements and weights. It weighs 72 grams, and the pic shows the length, and compared with my 165mm Munetoshi.

Isn't this a 130mm Misono petty?? From which point am I supposed to measure it?
IMG_3009.jpg

Sorry guys but I don’t like this Konosuke Kaiju. Not my cup of cofee. But cool marketing campaign to make a lot of hype for something that kind of reminds me of the akebono.

Back