Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

CiderBear

Reaction score

alterwisser

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he has boxes and I don't know how many wastern makers has boxes included with the knives...
almost none do!

Laseur does... Xerxes Primus comes in box, but because of vendor not Jannis.

My Haburn came in a nice padded zipper knife bag. That’s it.

DaM0w

Always follow your nose
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Picked one of these up a little while back to see what they were about. Overall the fit and finish was meh, needed thinning behind the edge, spine rounded, and the handle was quite undesirable. Had my boy Fred a.k.a @birdsfan alter the tang and do a slim western out of Cyprus burl. I am overall very happy with it now, his handles are great!

Attachments

Gregmega

Reaction score
His handle upgrades are absolutely ridiculous. He coaxed me into a Marko inspired upgrade on my last custom and a 210 petty quickly became a 500+ dollar knife -because I agreed to it before seeing the price. I do like my little collection of Wats but I don’t think I’ll be back for more. 150$ handle up-charge was a tough pill to swallow.

birdsfan

Reaction score
Thank you DaMOw! That was a fun project too. Now I am itching to get one of those petties on sale and give it the same treatment.

Mikeadunne

Reaction score
His handle upgrades are absolutely ridiculous. He coaxed me into a Marko inspired upgrade on my last custom and a 210 petty quickly became a 500+ dollar knife -because I agreed to it before seeing the price. I do like my little collection of Wats but I don’t think I’ll be back for more. 150$ handle up-charge was a tough pill to swallow.
Ditto

Slim278

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I would do a $150 handle from Wat however the burnt chestnut at $86 is not nearly as bad. I don't know if you could have equivalent outsourced for less, especially if you add shipping costs. He will also do a octagonal shaped Enju for $67.

Gregmega

Reaction score
I don't think I would do a $150 handle from Wat however the burnt chestnut at $86 is not nearly as bad. I don't know if you could have equivalent outsourced for less, especially if you add shipping costs. He will also do a octagonal shaped Enju for $67.
I almost agree, but I was expecting an 86$ price tag for what he offered and was shocked with nearly double. I’d have taken a plastic ferrule and figured out something myself domestically thru Cody or Graydon- not calculating shipping as I recognize that’s the price we all pay for convenience. Hell, even Jon at JKI has chestnut most the time, I’d even have been gone with a castoff from someone else’s. It’s more of a principal thing and what I’ve come to see as Sin’s business practices. All good, just not what I expected. And to be fair it’s a super unique little knife, and among the last of his carbon sold.

thebradleycrew

Supporting Member
Reaction score

bruce8088

Reaction score
Custom TF cleaver. 200x100mm, about 455.5g, stainless clad denka finish but with white 1 steel (maboroshi) core. It has a usable profile and cuts well ootb (compared to moritaka, hiromoto, misono cleavers I’ve tired before) but will go for a tuneup and saya soon
TFTFTF! just need to be opened up and it'll slay!

RockyBasel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also know EM knives has boxes produced for him.
You can either ask him or get a wooden box made for your knives.
Or what I already did, take a nice wooden wine box and make a knife box out of it.
I really like the look of his knives - how do you find it in use?

JayS20

Reaction score
I really like the look of his knives - how do you find it in use?
I had the chance to try one of his knives. I really liked it, was a more Custom Workhorse. Profile suited me for push cut and a bit rocking. Fit and finish was great. Nice distal taper, good balance between food release and wedging. Overall quite clean knives. Lead me to placing a Custom order.

RockyBasel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the chance to try one of his knives. I really liked it, was a more Custom Workhorse. Profile suited me for push cut and a bit rocking. Fit and finish was great. Nice distal taper, good balance between food release and wedging. Overall quite clean knives. Lead me to placing a Custom order.
Sadly his books are closed.

Corradobrit1

Reaction score

Picked one of these up a little while back to see what they were about. Overall the fit and finish was meh, needed thinning behind the edge, spine rounded, and the handle was quite undesirable. Had my boy Fred a.k.a @birdsfan alter the tang and do a slim western out of Cyprus burl. I am overall very happy with it now, his handles are great!
Digging that handle.

lemeneid

TFTFTFTFTF
Reaction score
Custom TF cleaver. 200x100mm, about 455.5g, stainless clad denka finish but with white 1 steel (maboroshi) core. It has a usable profile and cuts well ootb (compared to moritaka, hiromoto, misono cleavers I’ve tired before) but will go for a tuneup and saya soon

View attachment 101167
View attachment 101168
Amazing cleaver! I almost sprang for one too after looking at Ricky's.

Latest posts