Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it’s hear - after a whole thread was created. Btw, the Fine Finish (FF) on this one seems quite nice at first glance

since the stone wheel that Ogura-San worked on broke, and he is getting old, it’s not sure how many of these FF we will see in the future

this is my first Yo handle - the 255 gm really feels good in the hand.

will test out it’s cutting abilities shortly - but if looks are any indication- I will enjoy😊

92D6EFEA-AC84-4405-AB81-B2D2FC090CA3.jpeg
E1E59B58-4C9D-4249-B235-A80E6A74BDD2.jpeg
28C32BD2-A6B3-4B19-8BCD-FABE1C705D3C.jpeg
2AD0BDAD-5611-47D1-ABBA-BA0FA7B62BD2.jpeg

Yes - 3!

2 of the 3 are also on the box

Ever since a child, I have always liked, and been rewarded at times, by stickers

this one has 3 and I like it

heel height is 56 mm so it’s a bit substantial. People referred to this as laser, but it’s grind does as flat as that of a laser

weight is 245 gm, not 255 as advertised

DA9985B5-9E18-482F-9197-E1A8839E3500.jpeg
1B5FE1C3-4C4A-4543-9F95-717E1D5B4ED2.jpeg

heel height is 56 mm so it’s a bit substantial. People referred to this as laser, but it’s grind does as flat as that of a laser

weight is 245 gm, not 255 as advertised

wow 245 gram. That's quite some variation in this batch as mine is just 225 gram. I wonder what the length of edge is and where the balance point is.

This is kind of embarrassing. I was looking for a new project knife, when Cleancut announced that they had some Dau Vuas with small defects for about €37, with postage. Excellent, thought I. That is a low price to get a knife that I can mess around with and practice my polishing/thinning skills, and then give away as a gift for x-mas.

IMG_2043.jpeg

I have to say, even at this price point, it's a low value knife. The two best things with the knife is that it looks ok on picture, and that the steel is so elastic that I could straighten the warped blade with my hands.

Would not recommend this knife to anyone, not even at this price point and not even for the purposes of practicing stone/sanding skills. Only good use is for cutting melons. First you make a straight cut separating the melon in two. Then you bend the blade by hand, so that you get a nicely curved blade to cut off the skin.

This is kind of embarrassing. I was looking for a new project knife, when Cleancut announced that they had some Dau Vuas with small defects for about €37, with postage. Excellent, thought I. That is a low price to get a knife that I can mess around with and practice my polishing/thinning skills, and then give away as a gift for x-mas.

View attachment 101507

I have to say, even at this price point, it's a low value knife. The two best things with the knife is that it looks ok on picture, and that the steel is so elastic that I could straighten the warped blade with my hands.

Would not recommend this knife to anyone, not even at this price point and not even for the purposes of practicing stone/sanding skills. Only good use is for cutting melons. First you make a straight cut separating the melon in two. Then you bend the blade by hand, so that you get a nicely curved blade to cut off the skin.
Could you re-use the handle and that is terrible as well?

View attachment 101507

this is both good news and bad news. The good news is that it confirms the fact that quality costs something and for those of us here, spending gobs, it assures us that money well spent. So now I know why I paid over 400 for that Toyama

bad news is that it now encourages me to spend more 😂😂😂

Could you re-use the handle and that is terrible as well?

It looks ok, but I don't think it's worth it. The red is painted on (got some extra paint for free on the blade) and everything with this knife just screams of poor quality. I have a feeling that the handle will dissolve into molecules if it is to violently removed. =)

But given your comment, it seems as if you also think that the knife looks ok on picture?

this is both good news and bad news. The good news is that it confirms the fact that quality costs something and for those of us here, spending gobs, it assures us that money well spent. So now I know why I paid over 400 for that Toyama

bad news is that it now encourages me to spend more 😂😂😂

My hopes for the knife were low. But it managed to surprise me by being far below what I expected. That's also impressive... in a sad, sad way. ;-)

It looks ok, but I don't think it's worth it. The red is painted on (got some extra paint for free on the blade) and everything with this knife just screams of poor quality. I have a feeling that the handle will dissolve into molecules if it is to violently removed. =)

But given your comment, it seems as if you also think that the knife looks ok on picture?
Unfortunately, there are a lot of photographers that sell knives.

View attachment 101507

Those bevels are garbage. You’re going to have to create your own. I had the kiri cleaver. The bevels are like fake concave. I flattened mine. Took forever. Complete waste of time. Those knives are terrible. I don’t recommend them to anyone. Better off saving a little more money and buying something in the 100-150 range. Mine went right into the trash.
For home use I guess they wouldn’t be terrible. I just think they aren’t worth it.

Those bevels are garbage. You’re going to have to create your own. I had the kiri cleaver. The bevels are like fake concave. I flattened mine. Took forever. Complete waste of time. Those knives are terrible. I don’t recommend them to anyone. Better off saving a little more money and buying something in the 100-150 range. Mine went right into the trash.

My plan was basically to do some flattening/thinning work for practice, and then give it away. Have some family members in dire need of knives. But to be honest, I think that the Satake knives you get for free when you buy ink cartridges or subscribe to a magazine offer more value.

My plan was basically to do some flattening/thinning work for practice, and then give it away. Have some family members in dire need of knives. But to be honest, I think that the Satake knives you get for free when you buy ink cartridges or subscribe to a magazine offer more value.
Definitely give it a shot. They aren’t that bad to work on but they’re not great. You might end up liking it. You never know. We all have different preferences. That would be awesome of you to gift a knife like this. Especially after putting the work in yourself. Need more people like this in the world!

Definitely give it a shot. They aren’t that bad to work on but they’re not great. You might end up liking it. You never know. We all have different preferences. That would be awesome of you to gift a knife like this. Especially after putting the work in yourself. Need more people like this in the world!

Thanks. I appreciate the comment. I'll for sure do some work on it. Good to have a knife that I can throw away if it goes south, and gift if it goes well. Also nice to not ruin one of my expensive knives. So it's all good.

Sad to hear the quality is that low, although these have been qualified as defective I'm sure the 'good' ones won't have a major difference in HT etc.

I was immediately put off when I saw the same handles being added to Dao Vua as well as Shiraki and (M.) Hinoura.
IMHO, it detracts from knives which are otherwise decent... Not solely because of the looks, but also because common sense dictates it almost can't be decent for that price.

Ya'll need to show more respect for a blacksmith family of such ancient lineage, I'm sure they've learned a thing or two about making blades since 1288.

You don't see the problem with a 732 year old company, who has so far only learned a thing or two? ;) :D

Edit: I'm assuming it was a joke, but nuance is often lost in forums. No disrespect intended.

Last edited:
Back