Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha. Thought I recognized it. I have 3 boards from that maker. Great value for money. Here's my main board with the new Denka acquisition.

Welcoming a new Denka to the family. I wanted a slightly shorter one for a Campervan I've ordered. This one is 197x48 and at 178g, heavier than my 210. The spine is noticeably thicker, as is the core AS steel @1mm. With more core steel the cladding line is almost twice as high as the 210. Nice. It was thinned slightly along the blade road shaving ~3g off the original weight. Less handle Wabi Sabi than any of my other TF's :mad::(:)

Last edited:
210 Watanabe Pro iron clad from @Homechef
AE6F97CC-1B85-4B3A-9AB5-1FD33951EBF9.jpeg

I bought the same knife (215mm?) from the same retailer last year.

It was genuinely the worst OOTB cutter I've ever had. It was atrocious (and the edge wasn't great either but he isn't known for his edges). It could not cut a potato without seriously wedging. It took me 8~10 hours to fix it (you can see what I did here mazaki knives).

Although after the makeover it's become one of my favourite knives. The handle definitely needs oil and wax though.

Ouch. Looks like I dodged a bit of a bullet there. No compensation to you, but that’s pretty much the opposite of my experience, which consisted of me largely cooing inanely as it glided through spuds and onions. Pretty much as perfect as I’ve ever had OOTB, prompting a little bit off reflective self loathing at the lack of sharpness of some of my other regular knives, causing me to break out the stones soon afterwards

Thankfully you sound much better equipped to have dealt with the issue than I would have been. Glad it seems to have worked out, even if does appear there are pretty vast, worrying variations even in the same batches of Mazaki knives.

I have actually got around to oiling the handle recently - definitely agree that it needed it. Which wax did you use?

I bought the same knife (215mm?) from the same retailer last year.

It was genuinely the worst OOTB cutter I've ever had. It was atrocious (and the edge wasn't great either but he isn't known for his edges). It could not cut a potato without seriously wedging. It took me 8~10 hours to fix it (you can see what I did here mazaki knives).

Although after the makeover it's become one of my favourite knives. The handle definitely needs oil and wax though.

Ive taken a fair amount off of mine as well, and yeah I love mine after that.

unfortunately it looks like I bought it from panda tho I have struggled mightily to get it to look good. not sure why this one in particular is so difficult 🤷‍♂️

Ive taken a fair amount off of mine as well, and yeah I love mine after that.

unfortunately it looks like I bought it from panda tho I have struggled mightily to get it to look good. not sure why this one in particular is so difficult 🤷‍♂️

Well, (slightly insincere) apologies to you too. Seems like I did surprisingly well with my Mazaki purchase - it’s honestly been a maintenance free pleasure and probably my best ‘bang for buck‘ cutter by some degree.

Strangely enough, that successful Mazaki purchase is one of the reasons I ended up finally posting on here. I made a weird, last minute swerve of a planned Kono buy when I realised a Maz was available in Britain, made curious by the frequent babblehype on this site. Seemed worth a punt, and frankly - as a cynical Londoner of a certain vintage - I half expected to be smugly underwhelmed by its performance, thus proving my innate superiority over a bunch of internet blowhards. Instead that Mazaki was so good a cutter that I felt somehow obliged to pay my respects, breaking my long time lurk

If it’s any vague mitigation, getting a good Maz is probably the only bit of good luck I had in a year of almost tragicomic proportions*, I can laugh at the black humour of it now, but I probably wouldn‘t advise pursuing personal tragedy in the hope of some kind of karmic knife payback.

;)

*Potted tragicomic summary: Neighbour’s giant tree fell into our garden, demolishing fence and shed, three immediate family members dying in close succession, 18 year old being stabbed outside the house, (other) neighbours going into witness protection as a result, leaving us their cat to look after, which then has a massive stroke/paraylsis on our watch, two more deaths, neighbours return from witness protection and their new (police approved) trauma-recovery dog then attacks our cat via the tree-shaped gap in our fence, necessitating months of surgery and stratospheric vet bills. My life has become some kind of weird soap opera.

Last edited:
If it’s any vague mitigation, getting a good Maz is probably the only bit of good luck I had in a year of almost tragicomic proportions*, I can laugh at the black humour of it now, but I probably wouldn‘t advise pursuing personal tragedy in the hope of some kind of karmic knife payback.

;)

*Potted tragicomic summary: Neighbour’s giant tree fell into our garden, demolishing fence and shed, three immediate family members dying in close succession, 18 year old being stabbed outside the house, (other) neighbours going into witness protection as a result, leaving us their cat to look after, which then has a massive stroke/paraylsis on our watch, two more deaths, neighbours return from witness protection and their new (police approved) trauma-recovery dog then attacks our cat via the tree-shaped gap in our fence, necessitating months of surgery and stratospheric vet bills. My life has become some kind of weird soap opera.

Damn - good luck to you for 2021 - it kind of can't be worse, right?

Well, (slightly insincere) apologies to you too. Seems like I did surprisingly well with my Mazaki purchase - it’s honestly been a maintenance free pleasure and probably my best ‘bang for buck‘ cutter by some degree.

Strangely enough, that successful Mazaki purchase is one of the reasons I ended up finally posting on here. I made a weird, last minute swerve of a planned Kono buy when I realised a Maz was available in Britain, made curious by the frequent babblehype on this site. Seemed worth a punt, and frankly - as a cynical Londoner of a certain vintage - I half expected to be smugly underwhelmed by its performance, thus proving my innate superiority over a bunch of internet blowhards. Instead that Mazaki was so good a cutter that I felt somehow obliged to pay my respects, breaking my long time lurk

;)

nah mine was good from the start I just like mine a certain way. I like the knife a lot, especially for the price, which I think is supremely reasonable.

Is the the kotetsu in R2? I’ve been looking at that one as my next purchase in 240mm. I’d be very interested to hear how you like it and how the flat spot compares to a “regular” gyuto.
It’s very flat. Mines the 210 and it’s the perfect size for a home kitchen. I like it so far but it’s so fragile. If you’re interested i’d consider selling

Damn. What a **** year. How’s the cat?

TBH it all seems so implausible and ridiculous a sequence of events now that It’s been easier to come to terms with than expected - you’re right, I’m confident that 2021 can‘t be worse. The cat‘s doing well fwiw, albeit one kidney down - it’s a stoic, affectionate little thing that seems to have won half the vet hospital over.

It was’t all black luck either, I managed to lose my wedding ring a few months before the whole sorry chain of misery started, despite repeated searches and us basically not going anywhere it couldn’t be found. Until the day after that big tree fell, when it turned up in the middle of the garden much to our bemusement. I never believed that shiznit about magpies before, but I’m still struggling to come up with any other rational explanation

It’s very flat. Mines the 210 and it’s the perfect size for a home kitchen. I like it so far but it’s so fragile. If you’re interested i’d consider selling

Totally agree with this. I didn‘t get on with the Shibata R2 gyuto - I found the profile too flat for my tastes, which with the lightness of the blade made it feel all too fragile. Too prone to sticktion too imo.

I liked the range and sharpness enough to buy a Shibata bunka, but the gyuto got passed on fairly quickly to an appreciative friend

My FRKZ ginsan yanagiba 300mm arrived today, shipping only take two days from japan to New Zealand, ridiculous fastest shipping I've ever experience.

The knife is has more low & high spot compare to my blue two FRKZ. I guess must be need at least one hour to even the blade road. Which I don't think is necessary to even the blade road in single session sharpening. the uraoshi doing very well job!

The saya is friction fit, I fall in love with the saya immediately! Handle is slimmer compare to my FRKZ blue two yanagiba ,but suit for my hand. Knife is very easy to sharpen as well.

Now I don't have to worry about rusty problem now, because I working in the face paced restaurant noe, cut many different ingredient including lemon, rust free is a big relief for me. Gonna using Honyaki yanagiba for preparing sashimi & sushi neta, ginsan yanagiba for rolls, lemon, beef & tuna tataki 😍😍😍. View attachment 119097View attachment 119098View attachment 119099View attachment 119100View attachment 119101View attachment 119102View attachment 119103View attachment 119104
I Want to add on some feedback about the Ginsan Yanagiba got it from Koki.

I cut Ginsan Yanagiba to cut same amount of sashimi & sushi, comparing with my blue two Yanagiba from Koki & Blue one dammy Yanagiba from Shiraki.

I was surprised the Ginsan Outperformed among them. The edge holding significantly better than Blue one & two. I don't know why, but it really better!!!

I just wondering maybe because I cutting lemon as well, & lemon does make the carbon steel get dull easier than stainless???

It shouldn't be that surprising, ginsan edge should last longer. It is more wear resistant, tougher and corrosion resistant than both blue 1 and 2. The only application where it will probably lose out is if you have very thin edges and your blunting is due to rolling/deforming. Blue 1, 2 is usually heat treated to higher hardness, so if strength is the issue blues can last longer. Given your application and addition of corrosive material, ginsan should do better.

Last edited:
I Want to add on some feedback about the Ginsan Yanagiba got it from Koki.

I cut Ginsan Yanagiba to cut same amount of sashimi & sushi, comparing with my blue two Yanagiba from Koki & Blue one dammy Yanagiba from Shiraki.

I was surprised the Ginsan Outperformed among them. The edge holding significantly better than Blue one & two. I don't know why, but it really better!!!

I just wondering maybe because I cutting lemon as well, & lemon does make the carbon steel get dull easier than stainless???

I have a ginsan 300mm yanagi from Koki as well - it's an awesome knife and it definitely doesn't get dull cutting it's intended victims.

Fear the Klingon invasion no more, the Klingon slayer has arrived at its final destination awaiting epic deployment. This is 280/65/340g of pure force:

40814207gf.jpeg

40814205pi.jpeg

40814208ji.jpeg

40814209jb.jpeg

40814210bb.jpeg

40814211qf.jpeg

40814212ei.jpeg

CPM 3V, 2-toned stabilized Koa, copper spacer, dyed warthog ferrule.

Gives a whole new meaning to Greyhound

i hate to do it, but have to ask - who is the maker😂😂😂

Reactions: Kgp
It shouldn't be that surprising, ginsan edge should last longer. It is more wear resistant, tougher and corrosion resistant than both blue 1 and 2. The only application where it will probably lose out is if you have very thin edges and your blunting is due to rolling/deforming. Blue 1, 2 is usually heat treated to higher hardness, so if strength is the issue blues can last longer. Given your application and addition of corrosive material, ginsan should do better. I can feel the ginsan cut around 450 piece of sashimi plus others ingredients is still remain sharp edge, while blue one & two dull the edge after 300 piece of sashimi only.
I thought the Ginsan edge retention only similar to white two, But Ginsan Yanagiba from Koki is outperformed my other Yanagiba. even though blue one & 2 has higher HRC, the edge doesn't last longer than my new Ginsan, I sharpen all Yanagiba with same process, I'm very happy I brought this, as corrosion resistant give me big relief while busy dinner service.😇😇

I thought the Ginsan edge retention only similar to white two, But Ginsan Yanagiba from Koki is outperformed my other Yanagiba. even though blue one & 2 has higher HRC, the edge doesn't last longer than my new Ginsan, I sharpen all Yanagiba with same process, I'm very happy I brought this, as corrosion resistant give me big relief while busy dinner service.😇😇
White 2 has relatively low retention compared to most other steels used for Japanese style kitchen knives. Not to say that it is not good enough or even very good for some applications, but in general its retention is relatively low. Since in your case you are not banging the knife on the board and cutting relatively soft materials, higher hardness/strength is not giving you much benefit. If you were dulling your edge because of rolling/deformation then higher hardness of blues could be of benefit.

Fear the Klingon invasion no more, the Klingon slayer has arrived at its final destination awaiting epic deployment. This is 280/65/340g of pure force:

40814207gf.jpeg

40814205pi.jpeg

40814208ji.jpeg

40814209jb.jpeg

40814210bb.jpeg

40814211qf.jpeg

40814212ei.jpeg

CPM 3V blade from German maker @suntravel, 2-toned stabilized Koa, copper spacer, dyed warthog ferrule.
Very impressive looking. The handle looks very comfortable. I've been wondering about Uwe's knives ever since he posted a few examples here. His designs and steels he uses look very impressive.

Latest posts

Back