Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sonofa -- what? tell us _everything_!!
It‘s 253x55 52100 workpony. Profile and balance same/very similar to chevron, hook grind passaround. Unlike that knife this one has workpony grind and more taper. Starts at 6 mm at the handle and tapers down. Feels good so far and destroyed a bunch of bell peppers with authority. Haven’t used it enough yet, but so far very good.

big congratulations on that, barmoley. sounds and looks brilliant.

do you think at some point you could take a good straight-on / non-perspective shot of the spine's taper? (usually requires some distance + bird's eye view + zooming in.) i've been wondering about that lately, since mr kippington posted one with a concave taper that might have been about the same as yours there.

also, could i finally ask outright: what does everyone mean, exactly, by his workpony grind? might make more sense to me if i ever saw a side view, maybe with a straight-edge against it to really get the distinction.

Workpony is mid convex grind like Ian said. Given drastic taper, side views at different points of the blade will look different and are difficult to show.

The spine on mine looks similar to the lefty that was sold recently. I could be wrong ofcourse.

ok, thanks, guys, that makes sense. that's what i was thinking, but with people using "workpony grind" in a way that sounded like it was a distinct thing unto itself, i started to wonder whether there was something actually _different_ in cross-section rather than just being more- or less-convex depending the thickness of the blade, i.e., laser = thinner, thus necessarily less convex, versus workpony = thicker, thus more convexity is possible. ... and the asymmetry would be more pronounced, again, when the blade is thicker. (... following other kippington posts, likely more asymmetrical _edge_, i have to assume, to combat the asymmetrical grind causing steering, as he once explained.) understandable about the cross-section being different along the length of the blade -- for the same reason as above: as it heads toward the tip, with that amount of taper, it's not possible for it to be as convex.

barmoley: was this one you commissioned directly, or did you pick it up second-hand or via a disappeared-customer buy/sell/trade sale?

I believe it was panda that named the work pony offering from Kip and it stuck. As stated above, it fit between his work horse and laser knives. I have one as well and love it. Not sure what his wait time is on new orders, they do pop up on BST occasionally but he is a great guy to deal with if you go direct.

thanks, mc2442. i appreciate it. i'm afraid that might have to remain a fantasy for a little while, money-wise, but i have no doubt it would be a great experience for a great knife.

ok, thanks, guys, that makes sense. that's what i was thinking, but with people using "workpony grind" in a way that sounded like it was a distinct thing unto itself, i started to wonder whether there was something actually _different_ in cross-section rather than just being more- or less-convex depending the thickness of the blade, i.e., laser = thinner, thus necessarily less convex, versus workpony = thicker, thus more convexity is possible. ... and the asymmetry would be more pronounced, again, when the blade is thicker. (... following other kippington posts, likely more asymmetrical _edge_, i have to assume, to combat the asymmetrical grind causing steering, as he once explained.) understandable about the cross-section being different along the length of the blade -- for the same reason as above: as it heads toward the tip, with that amount of taper, it's not possible for it to be as convex.

barmoley: was this one you commissioned directly, or did you pick it up second-hand or via a disappeared-customer buy/sell/trade sale?
I got it directly. I was on his list for a while and when my name came up I remembered how much I liked the passaround. So asked for the same, but with his regular mid weight grind, since that is my favorite. I've had a few of these and to me they were all excellent. I really liked the passaround, but the chevron hook grind as good as it is for what it was designed for is too specialized to me. Jules really understand what he is doing with profiles, grinds, etc and every time I argue with him I end up being wrong, so this time I just asked him to make me the passaround with workpony grind. So far, I really like it.

I believe it was panda that named the work pony offering from Kip and it stuck. As stated above, it fit between his work horse and laser knives. I have one as well and love it. Not sure what his wait time is on new orders, they do pop up on BST occasionally but he is a great guy to deal with if you go direct.
Wait time is 'ever. Books closed last I checked. And it was 14 month wait when it was open.

Wait time is 'ever. Books closed last I checked. And it was 14 month wait when it was open.

thanks, m1k3. that's good to know. ... and not let myself get too swept-away with the fantasy.

Picked up a nice used Konosuke HD2 270mm gyuto. Interestingly, the actual cutting edge is only about 1/2” longer than my Masakage 240 gyuto.

E369BFAE-4DB0-4D52-B0BA-2CADA4159218.jpeg

5641F983-740A-4226-B900-4251095BE9AB.jpeg

Don’t think I have shown it here yet:

This is not my first from @KAMON Knives and it won’t be my last but it is the most jaw-dropping specimen from Ben I have seen. I can’t catch this knife‘s beauty in any picture but here it is:

It is a ~250 Chef‘s with Western handle in black dyed Amboyna which I sourced myself. I have been on the hunt for some nice handle blocks in the past few months and this was one of the gems.

41056005zt.jpeg

41056008ba.jpeg

41056009bq.jpeg

41056010le.jpeg

41005538ws.jpeg

Check out Ben’s Instagram, he has shown some „official“ pics of this knife, too, and also a nice video.

Btw, this is how the block of Amboyna looked before Ben transformed it into some Kamon-Kunst:

41056098iz.jpeg

Last edited:
New arrivals:

Sanelli 324610
-X50CrMo14 from Bonpertuis steel, 57HRC
-The handle is bi-component ang grippy with oily hands. In the catalog says that it has silver particles to be bacteria-free but I cant check this statement.
-Completely made in Italy, I like this brand because they are honest of the origin of the products, altough you cant be 100% sure :) italian knife brands tend to be a little "dark" with their production.
20210425_140056.jpg

20210425_140114_HDR.jpg

20210425_140139.jpg

Spitzenreiter 800639
-Traditional crucible steel (carbon steel). HRC unknown
-Handle made of beech wood. Two (aluminum?) rivets.
-This is a pure traditional handmade solingen vegetable knife, used for onions, carrots, potatoes... An old pattern swept away by the newer profiles of industrial manufacturers.
-Handmade by a two man workshop in Solingen-Ohligs. I discovered him in my last trip to the city of blades. He does not speak english.
20210425_140300.jpg

20210425_140319.jpg

Don’t think I have shown it here yet:

This is not my first from @KAMON Knives and it won’t be my last but it is the most jaw-dropping specimen from Ben I have seen. I can’t catch this knife‘s beauty in any picture but here it is:

It is a ~250 Chef‘s with Western handle in black dyed Amboyna which I sourced myself. I have been on the hunt for some nice handle blocks in the past few months and this was one of the gems.

41056005zt.jpeg

41056008ba.jpeg

41056009bq.jpeg

41056010le.jpeg

41005538ws.jpeg

Check out Ben’s Instagram, he has shown some „official“ pics of this knife, too, and also a nice video.

Btw, this is how the block of Amboyna looked before Ben transformed it into some Kamon-Kunst:

41056098iz.jpeg

Almost as pretty as mine ;)

Back