Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually thought about that one. Just because I could use some decent cheaper blades for work that are ss clad. I’m just hesitant with kohetsu. I bought one a couple years ago and it wedged in everything. The tip was horrible.

Kohetsu is a house brand so they may come from different shops. This one looks like made by Tadafusa, similar to JCK blue moon series.

Kohetsu b2 tall 240 - heavy duty, blade fwd with girth. Those with carpal tunnel/tennis elbow be forewarned.

8.08oz, 55.7mm tall 4.2mm at the heel and 2.2 at the mid. The tip isn’t awesome tho. Some cool stuff going on. It’s an interesting low cost option for folks looking for a heavyish carbon stainless clad gyuto. Hello Mazaki lovers.

View attachment 134301View attachment 134302View attachment 134303

I too purchased one of these as they seemed quite enticing for the price tag....

Out of the box I was quite please with the performance over all, took a quick edge, didn’t wedge through anything and the F+F wasn’t as horrible as I thought it would be

So seeing as I liked it overall and had no real qualms with its performance(other then the tip) I did what any sane person would do and put it on the stones for a couple hours and destroyed the factory finish and geometry. These are my results... before and after on the choil, work removing material from the tip, and my ever so crappy synth kasumi. I plan on sanding the edges but I wana put this through a couple shifts first.

Overall I’d recommend grabbing one of these as something to beat to hell and not feel bad about it:)

Attachments

• F579EED4-1E2F-4185-BDA0-FF59ECBF90A6.jpeg
    F579EED4-1E2F-4185-BDA0-FF59ECBF90A6.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 925638E0-62F5-496B-BDAF-249F556670E3.jpeg
    925638E0-62F5-496B-BDAF-249F556670E3.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 91
  • BA36A97E-C82F-45F2-8275-33DE8E1BD22C.jpeg
    BA36A97E-C82F-45F2-8275-33DE8E1BD22C.jpeg
    25.8 KB · Views: 80
Ordered nearly 1,5 years ago from Breta, who is a Czech hobby knifemaker with an output of like 5-7 knives per year and gets already way too many requests.
Wrote to him asking about my time to come end of of April. He told me he had a project knife for himself which he didn't come by working on it, so asked me if I wanted it. I said sure and thanked him fro his generous offer.

The knife is a differentially hardened 1.2442 monoblade with one block of blue stabilized boxelder burl which I had planned for it.

EM Knives Honyaki
Knife in box.jpg

Right.jpg

Left.jpg

Choil.jpg Spine.jpg

255x56mm
231g
thickness spine: 3,83mm to 0,71mm 1cm before tip
convex

I just received a Lefty Ajikiri (120mm) from Shinichi. The transaction was beyond smooth. I asked for the upgraded handle on the standard series - even with that, my first email via the Watanabe site was last on 7/9 and I received the knife on 7/15 with plenty of direct communication with Shinichi by email. I know that there is another thread on some recent QC issues with Watanabe knives, but I do not see any lamination issues (I tried to capture the lamination line on the spine in my photo) or waviness in the grind as discussed on the other thread. OOTB is is arm hair shaving sharp - much to the laughter of my 7 and 3 year old. It is rustic for sure - the choil is actually smoother than the spine, which I plan on sanding a bit later on today. Overall - It was a super positive buying experience and I'm very happy with the quality-for-value balance. Now I just need a fresh mackerel to get some performance impressions.

Attachments

• IMG_5978.JPG
    IMG_5978.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5980.JPG
    IMG_5980.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5981.JPG
    IMG_5981.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5982.JPG
    IMG_5982.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 30
Forgot to mention in the last Tanaka post - and it seems rude not to - that my first direct purchase* from JNS was exemplary. Very fast delivery, well packed and even DHL weren’t a bunch of mercenary no goods on this occasion. Pleasure all round, so thanks @maxim and JNS

*I’ve used a Danish Knife mule in the past, no less. He is about 6ft8 tall and can often be seen, from a considerable distance, sporting a ludicrously luminous orange hat. Neither of these statements is a lie, remarkably

Ok, so I also bought this Maz on a bit of a whim. It was early, I spotted this new release at a good price and I thought it worth a (greedy, compulsive) punt before they sold out.

Having slight buyer’s regrets - the profile’s actually more similar to my existing Maz than I thought and remarkably I may actually hate the handle on this one more than the older one. It feels pretty nasty in hand and as promising as the grind looks, I’m not willing to invest the time in rehandling really. Or I’d like to, but would blatantly never get round to it

May actually return a knife for the very first time with that in mind. Which is a shame, because the service from Cutting Edge was impeccable as always and I’m sure it’s a vague hassle for them, as accepting as they are with their ‘no quibble‘ returns policy. Thumbs up to them and apologies - they know I’ll be back.

1626510398935.jpeg

1626510414151.jpeg
1626510428744.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok, so I also bought this Maz on a bit of a whim. It was early, I spotted this new release at a good price and I thought it worth a (greedy, compulsive) punt before they sold out.

Having slight buyer’s regrets - the profile’s actually more similar to my existing Maz than I thought and remarkably I may actually hate the handle on this one more than the older one. It feels pretty nasty in hand and as promising as the grind looks, I’m not willing to invest the time in rehandling really. Or I’d like to, but would blatantly never get round to it

May actually return a knife for the very first time with that in mind. Which is a shame, because the service from Cutting Edge was impeccable as always and I’m sure it’s a vague hassle for them, as accepting as they are with their ‘no quibble‘ returns policy. Thumbs up to them and apologies - they know I’ll be back.

View attachment 134613

View attachment 134614View attachment 134615

the finish on your new one looks pretty nice for a Mazaki though.

I had a very similar situation with a Goko from the Sharp Knife Shop and was similarly impressed with how they handled the return.

Finally got a hold of my Edgerton 225 26c3 gyuto for the group buy. All I can say is incredibly impressive. Ootb edge is insanely toothy and aggressive, cutting feel and performance are too notch and the look is exactly what I wanted. Put it through the prep ringer at work and it performed like a champ! Highly recommend

Attachments

• 2055F989-4749-4608-9709-00ADB32ED3D9.jpeg
    2055F989-4749-4608-9709-00ADB32ED3D9.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 67
  • D4D222FC-9546-4EFC-8D24-1D6A01D11902.jpeg
    D4D222FC-9546-4EFC-8D24-1D6A01D11902.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Got this Toyama damascus today. More beefy than my Watanabe stainless clad blue 2 as the spine is thicker from heel to the middle and the geometry is also a bit more convex.

243 mm*54 mm
237 gram
4.75 mm spine thickness at the handle

View attachment 134820View attachment 134821
I lightly polished it with finger stone and put on a burnt chestnut handle, with which it’s now 248 gram. Love it.

E01FC226-297C-4165-8007-0B6D68D13500.jpeg

Back