Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watanabe 240 mm direct from Shinichi. 245x55mm. Weighing in at 220g!
Anyone get their handles...aged? It's quite dark. I thought the basic handle option was ho wood, but it doesn't look like it.

IMG_0108.jpg
IMG_0110.jpg

Watanabe 240 mm direct from Shinichi. 245x55mm. Weighing in at 220g!
Anyone get their handles...aged? It's quite dark. I thought the basic handle option was ho wood, but it doesn't look like it.

View attachment 159949View attachment 159950
I can’t say mine were aged, but if all my ho wood handles sin’s are the darkest. I oil mine with mineral oil and bees wax, but I do that with all my handles. His are the darkest, but I also like his the best.

4838D395-2A23-48C5-9FBA-3DBDEF951733.jpeg

To be completely honest I bought this knife because I liked the handle. The blade and overall knife is nice too but the handle was the hook for me. It’s a Shiro Kamo Gyuto 210mm x 52mm SG2/R2 Damascus steel blade. The handle is a lovely custom yellow cedar from Suji. it weighs in at a lightweight 164gms. A few more pics …

CD1A3EB3-4D82-4438-86DA-9B57BC39BA62.jpeg

3207C2D5-0E61-4181-AB10-CD1E23DBA559.jpeg

700375E6-F421-479B-A505-D85BD1A99799.jpeg

4C05DB60-9141-459D-A506-8E294F6B3D0F.jpeg

FF1C6407-65EA-4F2C-9BAA-E6207FB7361F.jpeg

The only use I’ve managed to put it to was to slice a bit of cold leftover lamb sirloin for a meal. It arrived nice and sharp so that was no problem. The left over meal was great though. A couple more pics …

B24778F9-8487-45B0-916B-3685A1C745DB.jpeg

0D1FCF60-6EAA-4BD4-B09C-89A60BD0ECA7.jpeg

040F16C6-2618-4BBD-A65B-EC13EA2F5521.jpeg

A recent thread suggests that this blade doesn’t do so well in the stiction department. It’s scheduled for an entry in the Naughty Schoolboy Great Potato Slap Down later today. Stay tuned and checkout the Naughty Schoolboy thread for results.

View attachment 160105

To be completely honest I bought this knife because I liked the handle. The blade and overall knife is nice too but the handle was the hook for me. It’s a Shiro Kamo Gyuto 210mm x 52mm SG2/R2 Damascus steel blade. The handle is a lovely custom yellow cedar from Suji. it weighs in at a lightweight 164gms. A few more pics …

View attachment 160106

View attachment 160107

View attachment 160108

View attachment 160109

View attachment 160111

The only use I’ve managed to put it to was to slice a bit of cold leftover lamb sirloin for a meal. It arrived nice and sharp so that was no problem. The left over meal was great though. A couple more pics …

View attachment 160113

View attachment 160112

View attachment 160114

A recent thread suggests that this blade doesn’t do so well in the stiction department. It’s scheduled for an entry in the Naughty Schoolboy Great Potato Slap Down later today. Stay tuned and checkout the Naughty Schoolboy thread for results.
I thought you wanted to reduce the size of your collection!?

I thought you wanted to reduce the size of your collection!?

Not so much reducing the collection as much as not letting it grow like topsy. To do that I sold 25 of my A+ knives and have another 25 ready to go. That way I could justify (and fund) the purchase of knives that I was interested in having a look at. The Shiro Kamo is one of those knives. There are others as well. Some are unicorns that I will keep, some may end up being passed on. Either way the size of the whole collection won’t grow.

Not so much reducing the collection as much as not letting it grow like topsy. To do that I sold 25 of my A+ knives and have another 25 ready to go. That way I could justify (and fund) the purchase of knives that I was interested in having a look at. The Shiro Kamo is one of those knives. There are others as well. Some are unicorns that I will keep, some may end up being passed on. Either way the size of the whole collection won’t grow.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

View attachment 160105

View attachment 160106

View attachment 160107

View attachment 160108

View attachment 160109

View attachment 160111

View attachment 160113

View attachment 160112

View attachment 160114

Wow, love that handle! I wonder if Shiro Kamo is making his blades thinner these days? My 210 weighs in around 190g.

My original comment was meant as a joke only… You didn’t have to explain or justify anything. You’re among friends here. Many of us share the same weakness… At least I do!

No worries brother … I didn’t take it the wrong way at all. Some explanation was fair because I disappeared for a while from BST and New Knives while I was making the first round of my adjustments. I’ve had quite a few new knives coming in lately with the result that I have had a bigger than normal presence on New Knives. I actually have four new knives due in today. It’s been a wonderful experience changing over my collection a bit. I have noticed that makers that I like have been “evolving” their style and production. Look at Ben Kamon, for example. The recent evolution in his work has been mind boggling. Newcomers like Birgersson, Spare and others. It’s nice to be able to keep up with them without blowing my collection through the roof. One this is for certain, though, and that for every dollar of knives I sell, a dollar fifty worth of knives gets added.

Got a modern Sabatier hrt. 50's. 10" . All my knives are thin behind the edge, wanted a beater knife for harder things like removing avocado seeds. It's carbon steel, like my Kau Kong chopper cleaver hrt50's cut through chicken bones at work edge can always be made sharp again. Handle is olive wood. One of pins had hairline space filled it with epoxy. Then put three coats pure tung oil & clear bullseye shellac 50/50 mix Buffed it. Helps water resistance easy to clean.
IMG_20220112_131518735.jpg
IMG_20220112_132234510.jpg

IMG_20220112_132536347.jpg

I haven't received it yet but here's the specs:

Blue 1, iron clad
215 x 93mm, 420g
Spine 2.9mm tapering to 1.8mm

I requested just a basic migaki finish so I can polish it up myself.
Where did you get it from? Specs and everything look nice. I got one of the blue 1 from migoto, quite nice.

A cross-genre mash-up of two recent acquisitions..

I know there'll be some fountain pen geeks out there, so that's my recently arrived FC Model 46 with a custom Yukio Nagahara cursive italic grind on the nib. For the real geeks, it's Midori MD paper and Diamine Sapphire ink.

As a fellow dual knife/fountain pen geek I approve of this comment. Could also add photography, I'm sure there's a not insignificant group of us out there.

Back