Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got this through the help of a respected fellow forum member who lives in Europe. A togashi/tosa blue #2.

Attachments

• 1D974F2B-AB40-4832-A1BD-B4035405D0E3.jpeg
    1D974F2B-AB40-4832-A1BD-B4035405D0E3.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 61CDBE59-09D4-48EF-88D9-B6D356AAE6F2.jpeg
    61CDBE59-09D4-48EF-88D9-B6D356AAE6F2.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 78
Here’s a 270 wrought iron/52100 from Felippi Porto. His work is really coming along. Sure the fit and finish could improve a bit and he admittedly is still learning how to nail that stone finish but I have to say his forged geometry is very cool. Great performance and food release with a bit of wedging on the super dense stuff.

View attachment 178214
View attachment 178215
View attachment 178216
View attachment 178217
Nice looking knife. I see a lot of very long knives being purchased and am really curious as to what the attraction is?

Nice looking knife. I see a lot of very long knives being purchased and am really curious as to what the attraction is?
I just find them fun to use. I’m not a chef and I’ve spent more than I could ever justify in this hobby so I’m going to pass on giving you any practical reason why to go for a long knife.

I have a soft spot for this line of knives as my first carbon was the 8" Chefs. But when the HomeButcher was putting them at clear-out pricing, plus one of their coupons codes took the pricing even lower, it was too good to pass up. Sure the handle has shrunk a little bit but I love the 52100.

20220509_143529.jpg

I have a soft spot for this line of knives as my first carbon was the 8" Chefs. But when the HomeButcher was putting them at clear-out pricing, plus one of their coupons codes took the pricing even lower, it was too good to pass up. Sure the handle has shrunk a little bit but I love the 52100.

View attachment 178720
I’ve considered buying this one more than a few times. I also had an 8” and the fit and finish on that one was perfect. I’m sad they moved to a different handle material but understand why they did. Nice pickup!

I’ve considered buying this one more than a few times. I also had an 8” and the fit and finish on that one was perfect. I’m sad they moved to a different handle material but understand why they did. Nice pickup!

I had an early gen 8" and 10" that I sold that both had the shrinking handle problem. The 10" is was the only knife I regretted selling enough I bought another one (with a handle that has been fine). For the price I got this santoku at, it was a deal I couldn't pass up.

I had an early gen 8" and 10" that I sold that both had the shrinking handle problem. The 10" is was the only knife I regretted selling enough I bought another one (with a handle that has been fine). For the price I got this santoku at, it was a deal I couldn't pass up.
If I could get ahold of a 10” blackwood handle version that I could guarantee didn’t have a proud bolster or pins, I would likely grab it. I saw an IG post where JKI did some work on one to ad some convexity. That would be an almost perfect knife for me. I always felt like the santoku would likely be a nice knife despite its shorter length given the flatter profile.

They make a newer version now with a stability handle FYI so if you want one the v2.0 should all be good handles now.

They make a newer version now with a stability handle FYI so if you want one the v2.0 should all be good handles now.
I should have clarified that I preferred the blackwood handle. I just know it was hit or miss on fit and finish with that version.

If I could get ahold of a 10” blackwood handle version that I could guarantee didn’t have a proud bolster or pins, I would likely grab it. I saw an IG post where JKI did some work on one to ad some convexity. That would be an almost perfect knife for me. I always felt like the santoku would likely be a nice knife despite its shorter length given the flatter profile.

The 10" I got from Homebutcher two years ago has got a pretty decent handle. In fact the handle scales on mine are actually a touch proud of the spine.
20220509_194143.jpg

Reactions: Kgp
Snagged an ironclad blue #2 Watanabe 270 mm gyuto from MTC Kitchen this weekend and got it this morning. My first ironclad Wat/Toyama that’s not off BST. I’ve used my ironclad Wat and Toyama 240 extensively and can handle a #6 cleaver under 500 grams doing bulk prep for a couple hours in a row without much wrist fatigue, so I thought the 270 Wat would be a breeze, but this thing is a whole different beast. 276 grams, 60 mm tall, 4.7 mm out of the handle, thick all down the spine and super thin behind the edge with Watanabe’s signature slightly righty biased convex grind, this thing is more forward balanced than some of my cleavers and is a total monster.
C5ECB47A-071B-455A-A7B4-0F22606D6220.jpeg

3DCDC1B4-242A-4558-B07D-1F213D232C6E.jpeg

Look at that choil! I julienned a pound of carrots and cut up a couple apples, and the Wat moves through everything smoothly without cracking and the elongated santoku-ish profile is perfect for bulk prep. The OOTB zero edge felt very fragile the whole time and was microchipped all over though so I touched it up on an aizu and as expected, the steel feels HARD like my other Wats, just skates on the stone, but sharpens quickly to a scary edge. Already so in love with this knife 🥰

Also picked up a mystery #6 cleaver, about 230 mm x 110 mm and 477 grams, off eBay last week. Got a killer deal on it because it had been chipped on chicken bones and had a bunch of rust spots on it. Previous owner got it from Tsukiji a few years ago and just knew that it was iron clad white #2.
40734D50-5947-49A9-8E99-733AC27A0ADD.jpeg
FF1A6682-9E3E-4D08-97AC-7AFE2EC492A6.jpeg

Besides the chips, this thing was really thin behind the edge so it just took a couple hours to take out the chips while maintaining the nice grind. Sharpened it up and the steel took an absolutely nasty edge and held it nicely so I posted in a couple places to try and ID the maker out of curiosity. Turns out the dentoukougeshi symbol stamped on the back with the number 38 under it indicates that it’s forged by Kenji Togashi. I’ve been wanting to try one of his Chinese cleavers, so this was a nice little surprise. Also, it makes a lovely tinging sound when tap on it.
31AE7E07-01FA-422F-9B43-14F1CCB19A13.jpeg

For size comparison:
95EB6669-65F0-45A6-A7E1-701DD702CF90.jpeg

Just a couple oversized ironclad boys ready to do some work. Also, if everyone could please refrain from posting any nice knives on BST for a while until I can replenish my knife budget, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks to @timebard for posting the link to the Watanabes and @ew_ut for pointing them out to him.

Snagged an ironclad blue #2 Watanabe 270 mm gyuto from MTC Kitchen this weekend and got it this morning. My first ironclad Wat/Toyama that’s not off BST. I’ve used my ironclad Wat and Toyama 240 extensively and can handle a #6 cleaver under 500 grams doing bulk prep for a couple hours in a row without much wrist fatigue, so I thought the 270 Wat would be a breeze, but this thing is a whole different beast. 276 grams, 60 mm tall, 4.7 mm out of the handle, thick all down the spine and super thin behind the edge with Watanabe’s signature slightly righty biased convex grind, this thing is more forward balanced than some of my cleavers and is a total monster.
View attachment 178888
View attachment 178889
Look at that choil! I julienned a pound of carrots and cut up a couple apples, and the Wat moves through everything smoothly without cracking and the elongated santoku-ish profile is perfect for bulk prep. The OOTB zero edge felt very fragile the whole time and was microchipped all over though so I touched it up on an aizu and as expected, the steel feels HARD like my other Wats, just skates on the stone, but sharpens quickly to a scary edge. Already so in love with this knife 🥰

Also picked up a mystery #6 cleaver, about 230 mm x 110 mm and 477 grams, off eBay last week. Got a killer deal on it because it had been chipped on chicken bones and had a bunch of rust spots on it. Previous owner got it from Tsukiji a few years ago and just knew that it was iron clad white #2.
View attachment 178905View attachment 178898
Besides the chips, this thing was really thin behind the edge so it just took a couple hours to take out the chips while maintaining the nice grind. Sharpened it up and the steel took an absolutely nasty edge and held it nicely so I posted in a couple places to try and ID the maker out of curiosity. Turns out the dentoukougeshi symbol stamped on the back with the number 38 under it indicates that it’s forged by Kenji Togashi. I’ve been wanting to try one of his Chinese cleavers, so this was a nice little surprise. Also, it makes a lovely tinging sound when tap on it.
View attachment 178901

For size comparison:
View attachment 178899
Just a couple oversized ironclad boys ready to do some work. Also, if everyone could please refrain from posting any nice knives on BST for a while until I can replenish my knife budget, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks to @timebard for posting the link to the Watanabes and @ew_ut for pointing them out to him.
Congrats! I have Toyama/Wat 150 and 210 and Wat/Toyama 270. Absolutely LOVE all three, they just fall through product. Always in my rotation.

And I hear you on budget, I have had to stop looking at BST but my buddy @tylerleach keeps texting me when sweet stuff goes up! 🤣

View attachment 178888
View attachment 178889

View attachment 178905View attachment 178898
View attachment 178901

For size comparison:
View attachment 178899

Hoooo that Togashi cleaver.

Back