Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, this beautiful knife has arrived, thanks to JNS. It's the Toyama 180 Nakiri Kasumi. Maksim, thanks for sorting me with one of my dream knives before Toyama retires and the prices skyrocket.

It's pretty well finished all around and the handle and tang are sealed with some sort of wax, which I've not seen on my Watanabe blades.

Can't wait to put it through some veggies over the next few days.
I got my JNS Toyama 180mm Nakiri a month ago. To say I'm happy with it is an understatement to "happy." I'm a whole-food, plant-based (vegan)... if I had to have but one knife (perish the thought) it would likely be the Toyama Nakiri. It just plows through produce effortlessly, and provides a great 60mm height to scoop up produce. Obviously so much of this knife journey is an evolution to find out what works for you. One thing I know is I'm not a lightweight/laser fan... I prefer the heft of a middleweight+ and Toyama really hits that sweet-spot for me.

Last edited:
I have this sort of wenge handle on one of my myojins and also another knife as well. I hate it. Feels cheap like scrap wood with some kind of plastic coating painted on it. I made a post about it previously and some things I did to improve it
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/thoughts-on-generic-wenge-handles.57604/
Not to knock on wenge in general though. On my most recent custom i got a wenge handle on it that has nice grain texture and feel. Just the more generic wenge that you see on many knives these days that I feel is low quality
Thanks! I’m a man of simple tastes with regards to handles (cherry walnut ho etc) but the wrong handle is an instant deal breaker for me and is grounds for catch an release (like my takada rosewood gyuto)

Nice and hefty 270 Kochi Ku damascus with Gesshin parer.

image.jpg
image.jpg

8B0C4B86-38FE-48B6-A7CA-3DB850741587.jpeg

In 2020 I followed a pass around of a Gyuto by Milan Gravier with great interest. In my life I’ve always valued the opinion of others, but have felt the need to “find out for myself”. When an opportunity arose to acquire an attractive Gyuto by Milan I jumped on it. You don’t often see examples of his work on BST. An additional attraction of this knife was wood work by Sean Porter … handle and saya with a unique carved turquoise skull for a saya pin … attached to the saya to prevent loss … even better.

The specs of the knife checked pretty well all my boxes …

Blade length … 264mm
Edge length … 250mm
Depth at heel … 52mm
Thickness measured at spine … 4.0mm at heel, mid blade 2.4mm, 1” from tip 1.3mm
Weight … 206gms

Steel … iron clad 135cr3
Wood … zircote

A few pics …

8C63FFC1-DA34-4292-9CC9-95D05ED698D7.jpeg
D730CEFC-6A57-4F67-BC2F-FC96E15363B4.jpeg
55A477AA-6865-4232-B4F8-9F413DB8A434.jpeg
8ABE7F5B-EF3D-4316-843C-D0B1FA4DE565.jpeg
492FC65B-5616-4D1A-86B4-0D81300063AC.jpeg

As can be seen, the quality of the woodwork from Sean Porter was superb and featured a very comfortable “D” shaped handle. Many of the comments in the pass around revolved around cutting ability. Within the limits of time I tried a variety of cutting examples.

45B4BD21-64BA-41F6-9EC9-9427DEA543AC.jpeg
E5D0158F-95C8-428B-9964-B616C7847BB3.jpeg
B5BC261E-27D0-4FFE-8149-01D3A06BE419.jpeg
BB74C08E-1E12-492F-99F0-3D0A95F731A4.jpeg

I was making Bulgogi for my “welcome to the family” meal … sort of a France meets Korea fusion. One example of my test cut was the flank steak which the knife passed with flying colours. Normally I would pop the flank steak in the freezer for a half hour to make this task easier for the blade. Not so in this case, and Milan’s blade cut the thin slices cleanly without dragging. Other comments in the pass around dealt with the carrot task. I found Milan’s blade more than satisfactory in the chop and julienne. Little stiction without the need for a quick “top finger flip” to get the carrot piece to release. On other tasks I found the knife well balanced and nimble in a pinch grip. The potato test for the Naughty Schoolboy great potato slap down will have to await another day.

Oh yes … the welcome meal … Bulgogi, carrots, fried rice and kimchi. No pic due to the 10 pic limit on posts, but it was delicious.

Welcome to your forever home. Mr. Milan!

I got my JNS Toyama 180mm Nakiri a month ago. To say I'm happy with it is an understatement to "happy." I'm a whole-food, plant-based (vegan)... if I had to have but one knife (perish the thought) it would likely be the Toyama Nakiri. It just plows through produce effortlessly, and provides a great 60mm height to scoop up produce. Obviously so much of this knife journey is an evolution to find out what works for you. One thing I know is I'm not a lightweight/laser fan... I prefer the heft of a middleweight+ and Toyama really hits that sweet-spot for me.
Wonderful! I do have the 165 Watanabe Nakiri with KU finish, which I absolutely love. It was an eye opener for me. I was more of a gyuto guy before. Now I am experimenting with other shapes too.

Just wondering what are your thoughts on the handle? I found it had a rougher finish that I would like. I will probably sand it with 600 grit or something around that number . Also planning to season it with oil or wax combo to protect it.

Struggled to get halfway decent pics of this one… even ventured outside! Anyhow, it’s a cleaver. From Isasmedjan. I’ve been trying to get one from him for a year now and I got lucky enough that Peter from @moderncooking helped me out!

I really wanted to keep that one. My time will come one day though. Enjoy! Its a beauty!

Wonderful! I do have the 165 Watanabe Nakiri with KU finish, which I absolutely love. It was an eye opener for me. I was more of a gyuto guy before. Now I am experimenting with other shapes too.

Just wondering what are your thoughts on the handle? I found it had a rougher finish that I would like. I will probably sand it with 600 grit or something around that number . Also planning to season it with oil or wax combo to protect it.
Hi Moz, I always condition wood handles before I use them. My two Toyama's are no exception, and it does take a bit of the "gription" (good old boy nascar term) off the handle. However, I prefer magnolia because it does have some grip. Seems like a practical attribute thing when elbow deep in wet produce.

Aside, I make my own wood conditioner. 8oz's of mineral oil brought to heat in a pan with 2oz's beeswax added in. Stir together over heat, remove and allow to cool in a jar. Absolutely the finest handle paste!

0.jpg

Hi Moz, I always condition wood handles before I use them. My two Toyama's are no exception, and it does take a bit of the "gription" (good old boy nascar term) off the handle. However, I prefer magnolia because it does have some grip. Seems like a practical attribute thing when elbow deep in wet produce.

Aside, I make my own wood conditioner. 8oz's of mineral oil brought to heat in a pan with 2oz's beeswax added in. Stir together over heat, remove and allow to cool in a jar. Absolutely the finest handle paste!

View attachment 184101
Thanks buddy. Happy to see that others are also making their own balm/wax rather than buying expensive inferior products. I also make my own solution with oil and beeswax, but I also add some antibacterial oil extracts like lemon, lime, clover. Not only does it add a light sent to the balm, but it should help to protect the handle from housing nasty bacteria.

What I previously meant was that my Toyama handle came roughly sanded. Perhaps it's just me, but it felt like it was under sanded. Not too worry, I spent a few mins with 400 grit sandpaper and it was just perfect for my liking. 😁😁😁

Gyuto 210mm Iron Clad Kurouchi Kasumi - 8.jpg

Picked up this lovely little number for the shop, but decided to hang onto it. Forged by Simon Maillet, I think he is one to watch 👌

Blade materials: Soft iron clad (0.03% C) with 135Cr3 core

Bevel: double, flat,

50/50 with kurouchi

Finish: Kasumi polish

Hardness: 63-64 HRC

Handle materials: Bog Oak (5500 years) with G10 spacer

Saya material: Black walnut with pin

Tip to heel length: 210mm

Blade height at heel: 55mm

Spine thickness at handle: 4.2mm

Spine thickness mid-blade: 2.2mm

Spine thickness 1cm from tip: 0.9mm

Balance point: 5mm from the heel blade heavy

Overall length: 370mm

Weight: 180g

IMG_5092.JPG

My first Kamon. Still collecting my thoughts on it. First off Ben's packaging is first rate, so secure and well thought out. Secondly, never thought a 260 would feel this comfortable in hand. Making me rethink the sizes of all my other knives. Considering my biggest knives before now were 240s this was a big jump for me. Partially took the gamble just have chance at trying a Kamon if I'm honest. The gamble really payed off. I'm so ridiculously impressed with everything so far. Somehow manages to make a 260 feel like the "correct" or "natural" size in my hand at least balance wise. Unfortunately got to wait until this evening to use it but I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

The handle is beautiful as well. The pictures definitely did not do the wood justice. There is a beautiful grain to it and it has a wonderful feel in hand. The elk antler is awesome as well, and feels way smoother than it looks and is full of detail and character up close.

Monosteel 1.2519 plain forged kurouchi Kamon gyuto. Handle is Ben's take on a Wa handle. It's made of garden rose wood (locally sourced from family) in a rokkaku hanmaru shape with an elk antler crown and a pinned end cap.

Length heel to tip: 260mm
Height at heel: 58mm
Weight: 235g

IMG_5039.JPG
IMG_5046.JPG
IMG_5050 2.JPG
IMG_5051.JPG
IMG_5054.JPG
IMG_5056.JPG
IMG_5059.JPG
IMG_5065.JPG
IMG_5072.JPG

View attachment 184223

My first Kamon. Still collecting my thoughts on it. First off Ben's packaging is first rate, so secure and well thought out. Secondly, never thought a 260 would feel this comfortable in hand. Making me rethink the sizes of all my other knives. Considering my biggest knives before now were 240s this was a big jump for me. Partially took the gamble just have chance at trying a Kamon if I'm honest. The gamble really payed off. I'm so ridiculously impressed with everything so far. Somehow manages to make a 260 feel like the "correct" or "natural" size in my hand at least balance wise. Unfortunately got to wait until this evening to use it but I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

The handle is beautiful as well. The pictures definitely did not do the wood justice. There is a beautiful grain to it and it has a wonderful feel in hand. The elk antler is awesome as well, and feels way smoother than it looks and is full of detail and character up close.

Monosteel 1.2519 plain forged kurouchi Kamon gyuto. Handle is Ben's take on a Wa handle. It's made of garden rose wood (locally sourced from family) in a rokkaku hanmaru shape with an elk antler crown and a pinned end cap.

Length heel to tip: 260mm
Height at heel: 58mm
Weight: 235g

View attachment 184201View attachment 184202View attachment 184232View attachment 184204View attachment 184205View attachment 184207View attachment 184208View attachment 184209View attachment 184210

Nice score! Was that the one he offered through his newsletter? You must’ve hit the timing just right to land at the top of his inbox 👍

Last edited:
Nice score! Was that the one he offered through his newsletter? You must’ve hit the timing just right to land at the top of his inbox 👍

Yeah it is. Got very lucky to be honest that I was watching TV on my laptop when the email came through. Wasn't fast enough with the last one he released through the newsletter so jumped pretty quickly when I saw it pop up this time.

Technically a trade with Mocdaddy rather than a buy but still thought I would share. Milan Gravier 246mm forged S-grind in C130. I did a quick polish and sharpening. This took one of the best edges I have ever put on a knife. Very authoritative and fun to use.

Attachments

• PXL_20220610_191616990.jpg
    PXL_20220610_191616990.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220610_191534126.jpg
    PXL_20220610_191534126.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220610_191702340.jpg
    PXL_20220610_191702340.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 0
Yeah it is. Got very lucky to be honest that I was watching TV on my laptop when the email came through. Wasn't fast enough with the last one he released through the newsletter so jumped pretty quickly when I saw it pop up this time.

nice snag. you beat me to it.

it took me 33 min to reply. not fast enough.

Sadly im out of town but i just got the delivery notification for my new 240 tf from sugi cutlery @JoBone !

Only his photos so far as im out of town but i can’t wait to get home and try it out!
Also to anyone looking to have a custom handle made i can’t say enough good things about my experience, he worked with me start to finish from basic idea to picking a blank and picking orientation of the handle on the knife!

Last edited:
DT San Mai
Sucky photos don’t do this justice. This thing just slayed everything.

Attachments

• 00BC5800-0BE0-4FCF-AE3F-06375DE52271.jpeg
    00BC5800-0BE0-4FCF-AE3F-06375DE52271.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 0
  • B22A4DAF-9952-4864-8FF2-8D5CC3FCA9EE.jpeg
    B22A4DAF-9952-4864-8FF2-8D5CC3FCA9EE.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 0
  • 45CF5EF2-BFCB-4AAC-8C44-09433A68F111.jpeg
    45CF5EF2-BFCB-4AAC-8C44-09433A68F111.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 92F3D9C1-9179-44D7-808F-756554110245.jpeg
    92F3D9C1-9179-44D7-808F-756554110245.jpeg