Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the mailman must have accidentally switched the boxes. @BillHanna
PXL_20220712_025213034.jpg

Picked up another nakiri yesterday, went the budget route. A Sakai Takayuki, blue 2, iron clad, with a nice walnut/pakka handle for $126 at MTC. I’d been considering a Watanabe, but balked at the dreadful righty d-handle with plastic ferrule. For a cheap knife it’s quite well made, light and nimble, straight blade (at least this one is), good handle installation, balance point at the third kanji—it’ll compliment my heavier Yanick nakiri.
CFE88092-9C78-49BC-A2F1-47FC9698E9A9.jpeg

5610B041-B9F4-49EC-AC68-4E6681FA90AF.jpeg

Last edited:
My Isasmedjan custom slot came up earlier this year and today it arrived. I’m floored (again) by Jonas’ work, this being my third knife from him but my first custom.

I got into knifemaking a couple years ago, so asked for something I couldn’t/wouldn’t make for myself but fits in the collections -> a 310mm sakimaru-style honyaki Sujihiki, mirror polished, with curved reindeer horn and silver handle (inspired after a beast 300mm ashi hamono gyuto handle I saw).

Behold… (including Jonas’ much better pics from his IG)
Eye spy comet honyaki with my little eye

Migoto blue 1 KU dammy Nakagawa x Kawakita

It’s a beast. Excited to try this tonight.
Migoto's packaging is super nice but was surprised that the handle was not really secured in the box. Nonetheless, the blade arrived completely unscathed which is what counts.

Attachments

• DB20A8B1-BE56-41C7-8F88-DCEFFB0BA2A0.jpeg
    DB20A8B1-BE56-41C7-8F88-DCEFFB0BA2A0.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 5472868D-42EF-49DA-BA73-E95460F1AD0B.jpeg
    5472868D-42EF-49DA-BA73-E95460F1AD0B.jpeg
    249.1 KB · Views: 0
  • E24748FD-4C82-4FF8-BCC1-FD56C1A26F4E.jpeg
    E24748FD-4C82-4FF8-BCC1-FD56C1A26F4E.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
2C7C701F-0AC7-4E30-B4A1-494167C5D9AB.jpeg

Back in the earlier days of my knife collection I gritted my teeth and stepped up to my most expensive purchases to that time. I paid $225 for a Perfect Kitchen Knife by Murray Carter. Here’s a pic …

13DE3732-E857-459A-B45D-5AEA1E8CCE99.jpeg

When it arrived I was a little underwhelmed. It was a little shorter than I expected … for $225 I expected a lot … go big or go home. It only had a partial tang … my Wustoff’s had a beefy full tang and a great big beefy bolster. It was definitely thin … San Mai construction … three layers … that’s cool! It definitely wasn’t shiny and I knew I had to fuss with it or it would rust. I never thought I would ever pay $225 for a knife so I put it to work. As the days and weeks passed it really grew on me. I wasn’t reaching for anything else larger than a paring knife. When I finally put it to my stones to sharpen it, I really started to fall in love with it. I finally arrived at a point where I had to admit for me it was really a “perfect kitchen knife”. Probably not robust enough for a commercial kitchen but for me, as a home cook, it vindicated my decision to “waste” $225.

Fast forward a number of years finds me with several Carter’s in my collection as well as a few knives from Murray’s Muteki knife smiths. I had long since said goodbye to the thought that $225 was a ridiculous price to pay for a knife. A Carter International Pro appeared on BST. It was a bit unusual for knives that I had from Murray Carter. Longer than usual at 260mm, a thinner, longer profile and a very nice Acacia wood handle. Complete with not one but two very nice saya’s. Definitely a knife that I would like to have in my collection but given my constant rule against buying new knives (what’s constant about the rule is that I’m constantly breaking it), I passed the BST post by. Except for the trendy knives nothing seems to be moving on BST lately. The Carter sat and I kept returning to it. Finally my resistance faded and I pushed the Buy It Now Button. It arrived in a couple of days later (no international borders to deal with). It was as nice as I could have hoped for. An edge length of 258mm, depth at the heel of 53mm, thickness measured at the spine of 2.3mm tapering to 1.5mm 1” from the tip. It weighed in at a mid weight 198gms. Forged by Carter with a Blue steel core and a mild steel cladding. Best of all (given my bad luck lately), it wasn’t tipped or otherwise damaged in transit.

Here’s a few more pics …

CC5BE1CC-999C-4B7F-87C3-1CDBF178E9AF.jpeg
1122EDAB-4A6E-4A7A-A3A4-BFF4F6073563.jpeg
6DE8376C-C5EE-4E23-90C9-EDA91F4186BB.jpeg
AAA28348-111D-476A-9E03-F3A7631B0F7A.jpeg
ECF5BC0A-DD55-4639-8CB8-2BA76DAF2A3D.jpeg

Anxious to get a feel for it I took my new Carter into the kitchen. Rather than using it to prep a single “welcome to the family” meal I found myself reaching for it whenever I needed something done. Slicing beef for batch of Bulgogi, chopping veges and portioning chicken thighs for chicken soup, carving a piece of lamb sirloin, cutting dinner rolls in half and slicing tomato’s for bunwiches. The new Carter was a delight to use, wickedly sharp and capable of putting a perpetual smile on my face.

A few more pics …

7D4A16F4-9048-4610-BB37-2707C096E7D0.jpeg
CEC8BB44-7418-434F-B402-96C5B0E97940.jpeg

Whoops … up against the 10 pic limit again!

Finally a pic of the choil.

0077E2D3-778E-4893-A088-49F789A664C4.jpeg

It will always confound me when I see Carter’s knives sitting idle on BST. I get it that his knives may not check all of everybody’s boxes. There are lots of great makers and you can’t have knives from all of them (I’m trying). I’m happy that this Carter International Pro sat long enough on BST for me to come to my senses and add it to my knife family. … and yes, I still have my original Carter Perfect Kitchen knife.

View attachment 188531

Back in the earlier days of my knife collection I gritted my teeth and stepped up to my most expensive purchases to that time. I paid $225 for a Perfect Kitchen Knife by Murray Carter. Here’s a pic …

View attachment 188532

When it arrived I was a little underwhelmed. It was a little shorter than I expected … for $225 I expected a lot … go big or go home. It only had a partial tang … my Wustoff’s had a beefy full tang and a great big beefy bolster. It was definitely thin … San Mai construction … three layers … that’s cool! It definitely wasn’t shiny and I knew I had to fuss with it or it would rust. I never thought I would ever pay $225 for a knife so I put it to work. As the days and weeks passed it really grew on me. I wasn’t reaching for anything else larger than a paring knife. When I finally put it to my stones to sharpen it, I really started to fall in love with it. I finally arrived at a point where I had to admit for me it was really a “perfect kitchen knife”. Probably not robust enough for a commercial kitchen but for me, as a home cook, it vindicated my decision to “waste” $225.

Fast forward a number of years finds me with several Carter’s in my collection as well as a few knives from Murray’s Muteki knife smiths. I had long since said goodbye to the thought that $225 was a ridiculous price to pay for a knife. A Carter International Pro appeared on BST. It was a bit unusual for knives that I had from Murray Carter. Longer than usual at 260mm, a thinner, longer profile and a very nice Acacia wood handle. Complete with not one but two very nice saya’s. Definitely a knife that I would like to have in my collection but given my constant rule against buying new knives (what’s constant about the rule is that I’m constantly breaking it), I passed the BST post by. Except for the trendy knives nothing seems to be moving on BST lately. The Carter sat and I kept returning to it. Finally my resistance faded and I pushed the Buy It Now Button. It arrived in a couple of days later (no international borders to deal with). It was as nice as I could have hoped for. An edge length of 258mm, depth at the heel of 53mm, thickness measured at the spine of 2.3mm tapering to 1.5mm 1” from the tip. It weighed in at a mid weight 198gms. Forged by Carter with a Blue steel core and a mild steel cladding. Best of all (given my bad luck lately), it wasn’t tipped or otherwise damaged in transit.

Here’s a few more pics …

View attachment 188533View attachment 188534View attachment 188535View attachment 188536View attachment 188537

Anxious to get a feel for it I took my new Carter into the kitchen. Rather than using it to prep a single “welcome to the family” meal I found myself reaching for it whenever I needed something done. Slicing beef for batch of Bulgogi, chopping veges and portioning chicken thighs for chicken soup, carving a piece of lamb sirloin, cutting dinner rolls in half and slicing tomato’s for bunwiches. The new Carter was a delight to use, wickedly sharp and capable of putting a perpetual smile on my face.

A few more pics …

View attachment 188539View attachment 188540

Whoops … up against the 10 pic limit again!

Finally a pic of the choil.

View attachment 188538

It will always confound me when I see Carter’s knives sitting idle on BST. I get it that his knives may not check all of everybody’s boxes. There are lots of great makers and you can’t have knives from all of them (I’m trying). I’m happy that this Carter International Pro sat long enough on BST for me to come to my senses and add it to my knife family. … and yes, I still have my original Carter Perfect Kitchen knife.
Here’s my take on Carter knives: have a close look at the profile. Those can be everything from round to dead-flat. Once you think it works, click on „buy now“. I’ve had some of his Muteki knives. All were good to very good, but only 1 fit my taste perfectly. I sold the others and kept that 1, although every single one was beautiful!

EDIT: Carter knives are always on the thin side, ~2mm +/-

Last edited:
Here’s my take on Carter knives: have a close look at the profile. Those can be everything from round to dead-flat. Once you think it works, click on „buy now“. I’ve had some of his Muteki knives. All were good to very good, but only 1 fit my taste perfectly. I sold the others and kept that 1, although every single one was beautiful!

I think your point is very well taken and can be applied more generally than with just Carter’s or any other makers knives. There is a defect associated with being a home cook who evolves through a large number of knives. Simply put … I really can’t be trusted to REALLY know what I am talking about. To a professional, a knife is a tool. The “tool” has to match their likes, preferences, styles, techniques or whatever. There is a world of difference between dicing an onion and dicing 50 lbs of onions day after day, month in and month out. The “pro” finds a tool that fits their needs (ie a commercial kitchen) and sticks with it. The “home cook” progressing through a number of knives like me, adapts their style to the knife in hand. In other words I never really stick with a particular knife long enough to know whether it really suits a style or technique that I’ve never really developed. Certainly I’ve developed opinions, needs and preferences that are totally valid “FOR ME”. By nature, I’m a positive sort of guy. What that means is that my positive opinion about this knife or that should be taken with a grain of salt when applying it to your needs. In truth DYY and the other professional users on the forums have probably forgotten more about knives than I will ever know. That’s fine with me … I’m here for my own enjoyment, and that’s OK too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back