Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New (to me) kemadi that’s wrought iron over bulat. I’m quite impressed. I bought and then quickly sold a shihan 52100 earlier this year to find a stainless line knife at my previous employment and still miss it. This is like the beefier brother of that knife. Love the forward balance, weight, profile….. and I was quite shocked to find the tip worked as well as it does. The only gripes I see on this for me is the shinogi could be eased for better cutting through tall, dense produce (got pretty caught up on a head of cabbage) and it could be a bit thinner bte for me. These are both easy fixes overall so I’m quite happy with this one. Plus she’s a total looker…. Can’t wait to see how the patina will look after some steaks…..
Kemadi seems so weird. No website (I don't think?) and he doesn't post info on his knives really...but they use cool steels and sounds like great prices. Might have to try one day.

Gesshin Ittetsu 270 gyuto

Got this laser from a fellow Brazilian member, to complement my stable of workhorses. Haven’t tried it yet but I’m blown away by the F&F and how good it feels in hand. A nimble laser for sure, but not flimsy - the size and slightly forward balance gives it some authority.

Apologies for the crappy pics. Bonus point for the kanji engraving that punched the opposite blade face. #wabisabi

Attachments

• 157A395B-A7E9-40D1-A2FC-AD41E33E420D.jpeg
    157A395B-A7E9-40D1-A2FC-AD41E33E420D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • EC6C46DC-530F-41B0-ACF0-4774EF010249.jpeg
    EC6C46DC-530F-41B0-ACF0-4774EF010249.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Hitohira Tanaka x Yohei Blue 1 Damascus 240mm Gyuto with Taihei Makassar Ebony Handle. 😍🔪 Luckily I was bored one day and decided to look around on the internet then just randomly bumped in to it. Didn’t think twice about getting it and knocking it off out of my knife list. Buy it now and never regret anything later. 😂
B08E22FC-E03E-4218-82CB-8500291FA993.jpeg
8E655ED3-26CF-476F-AD82-F948B8430506.jpeg
08D74CA6-E28C-47BA-96D5-D05DDC084ED3.jpeg
AAC1DA5C-D960-4A7B-B86B-B1AA19BBF910.jpeg
7708067F-A486-4150-BC26-B082D481E81B.jpeg

Last edited:
It's a beautiful knife, no doubt, but why Honyakis at all? Looks nice, but that's it (to me at least).

Mack.

It's a beautiful knife, no doubt, but why Honyakis at all? Looks nice, but that's it (to me at least).

Mack.
Why an expensive watch when all it does is showing the time. Why a watch at all when we’re all having our smartphones with us at any time? Why an expensive car when all it does is bringing you from A to B.

The answer is the same, all the time. Craftsmanship we admire. Because we can. It may be irrational but it still is beautiful.

You in particular don’t like Honyaki, or at least it doesn’t do anything for you. I don’t care about damascus. Most of this world‘s population would never understand lunatics like you and me who are willing to spend more than 30$ on a knife…

Why an expensive watch when all it does is showing the time. Why a watch at all when we’re all having our smartphones with us at any time? Why an expensive car when all it does is bringing you from A to B.

The answer is the same, all the time. Craftsmanship we admire. Because we can. It may be irrational but it still is beautiful.

You in particular don’t like Honyaki, or at least it doesn’t do anything for you. I don’t care about damascus. Most of this world‘s population would never understand lunatics like you and me who are willing to spend more than 30$ on a knife…
Yeah, you are right with that all...

Did I mention, that I don't like Honyakis? :upsidedownspin:

At least honyaki has a (slightly) practical purpose of making the spine more flexible and thus harder to break. Not that you're gonna use a laser ground 270mm chef knife to cut a man down where he stands, but it's cool to know it probably won't snap at the handle if you drop it

At least honyaki has a (slightly) practical purpose of making the spine more flexible and thus harder to break. Not that you're gonna use a laser ground 270mm chef knife to cut a man down where he stands, but it's cool to know it probably won't snap at the handle if you drop it
I assume in comparison to damascus? If it is san mai and damascus is relatively soft as it usually is that would most likely provide more protection from snapping at the handle or anywhere else.

Both damascus and honyaki are for visual appeal and to demonstrate the skill of the maker to some degree. Nothing wrong with either. No performance advantages for the end user though in either case. After a certain level, performance doesn't come into play with any of these higher priced knives.

I assume in comparison to damascus? If it is san mai and damascus is relatively soft as it usually is that would most likely provide more protection from snapping at the handle or anywhere else.

Both damascus and honyaki are for visual appeal and to demonstrate the skill of the maker to some degree. Nothing wrong with either. No performance advantages for the end user though in either case. After a certain level, performance doesn't come into play with any of these higher priced knives.
I admit I only have very surface level knowledge of metalurgy and smithing techniques, but I was under the impression that the whole reason katanas were clay coated before quench was to keep the spine steel softer than the edge steel and allow some flexibility in an otherwise very rigid blade.

I figured the same would apply to kitchen knives, though I agree with you that regardless it's definitely more of a smith flex than anything for something that's not going to see hard wear.

I admit I only have very surface level knowledge of metalurgy and smithing techniques, but I was under the impression that the whole reason katanas were clay coated before quench was to keep the spine steel softer than the edge steel and allow some flexibility in an otherwise very rigid blade.

I figured the same would apply to kitchen knives, though I agree with you that regardless it's definitely more of a smith flex than anything for something that's not going to see hard wear.
I think the point being that the cladding in samnami/dama is also much softer than the core steel, so will also provide some flex. But yes, technically a honyaki vs a monosteel, the honyaki should be a bit softer near the spine.

You are not wrong about katana or other swords, it is just irrelevant in kitchen knives. You also have to consider the steel they had to work with and that if a sword breaks during combat the user will most likely die. The edge chipping is not as big of a deal. Both honyaki and san mai construction can be used to improve blade durability, but it is not the purpose in kitchen knives.

It sounded like you were saying that as compared to damascus clading, honyaki conctruction has some value outside of esthetics in kitchen knives and I was just pointing out that soft cladding can serve the same role and that both are not used for durability in kitchen knives.

You are not wrong about katana or other swords, it is just irrelevant in kitchen knives. You also have to consider the steel they had to work with and that if a sword breaks during combat the user will most likely die. The edge chipping is not as big of a deal. Both honyaki and san mai construction can be used to improve blade durability, but it is not the purpose in kitchen knives.

It sounded like you were saying that as compared to damascus clading, honyaki conctruction has some value outside of esthetics in kitchen knives and I was just pointing out that soft cladding can serve the same role and that both are not used for durability in kitchen knives.
Fair enough! Definitely didn't mean to imply cladding doesn't achieve a similar goal. When I read 'why honyaki?' I just wanted to point out that there would be a materials reason it would be better if that stuff mattered for these knives. But yeah, aesthetics all the way.

Thanks for all the education, folks! Glad to sort out what's real information and what's just approximate. Sorry I don't have a knife to show off to pay for all the off topic-ness, but I have a JJT coming very shortly that will hopefully pay my tax

I already posted about this on the private Facebook group "Japanese Made Knives: cutlery and conversation" but here is my newest purchase!

This is my second purchase from @knifedxb

The first picture is a screenshot from the original post regarding the knives on the Facebook group

So, I paid for it September 14th and Bons let me know that the quickest he could ship it out would be the 17th which was ok with me.

Promptly on the 17th I received a copy of the shipping label and I received the knives September 20th! I am in Miami Lakes, Florida and Bons is in Dubai. Needless to say, really quick.

The 240 mm Denka Gyuto and petty are amazing
😭
. The 240 mm Denka is heavy but perfectly balanced. The wabi sabi is beautiful, everything looks amazing

Thank you again to Bons for helping me celebrate my 37th birthday
🥳
and to this group for inspiring my financial ruin
😩

Check out the kind words from Bons as well
🥰

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
usps dropped off my victorinox order today. Placed it less than 48 hours ago. that's professional!

IMG-20220928-131452-HDR.jpg

I mainly just wanted to compare the new "modern" paring knives from them to their old style 4" blade paring knives I own. The handle is MUCH nicer, with a nice palm swell behind the ricasso area.

I haven't even cut with one yet but I can tell this will be THE dirt cheap paring knife for me. Might dye them dark green, but I do like the visibility of this color. My paring knives are often kept under flat tops and other not so visible areas, so I prefer brighter colors.

The wharnie I bought because I've thought about modifying some of my vic paring knives to that same shape. Didn't realize they made some.

And another peeler because why not?

I already posted about this on the private Facebook group "Japanese Made Knives: cutlery and conversation" but here is my newest purchase!

The first picture is a screenshot from the original post regarding the knives on the Facebook group

So, I paid for it September 14th and Bons let me know that the quickest he could ship it out would be the 17th which was ok with me.

Promptly on the 17th I received a copy of the shipping label and I received the knives September 20th! I am in Miami Lakes, Florida and Bons is in Dubai. Needless to say, really quick.

😭
. The 240 mm Denka is heavy but perfectly balanced. The wabi sabi is beautiful, everything looks amazing

🥳
😩

🥰
Wooow, thanks for the vouch.

I'm happy that your like the knives, I wonder why this promo lasted for nearly a month and no one snagged it.

It was meant for your birthday other wise.

C h e e r s...

@knifedxb

Some people like their cucumbers pickled

😭

🥳
😩

🥰

Attachments

• AC01C521-191F-4007-A743-A45DD2B95648.jpeg
    AC01C521-191F-4007-A743-A45DD2B95648.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Custom Nakagawa x Sakai Kikumori Blue 1 Damascus Tall Gyuto with Joonetsu Blue box elder, Nickel Silver and Mars Resin spacer with Blue Liquid Damascus Ferrule. Been working on this knife for the past few days now. Woke up this morning and decided to finish it instead of doing it next week. 😊👍🏼🔪

Brand: Sakai Kikumori
Smith: Satoshi Nakagawa
Producing Area: Sakai-Osaka/ Japan
Profile: Gyuto
Edge Steel: Blue (Aogami) 1
Steel Type: Carbon
Cladding: Soft Iron Damascus
Bevel Symmetry: 50/50
Hand Orientation: Ambidextrous
Handle: Joonetsu Blue box elder, Nickel Silver and Mars Resin spacer with Blue Liquid Damascus Ferrule
Blade Length: 240mm
Overall Length: 310mm
Weight: 184g
Blade Height at Heel: 59mm
Spine Thickness at Mid: 2mm
HRC: 64
49B8519D-F2D8-46EA-80D0-F368AF32AB83.jpeg
651264FC-DF43-422E-B7A3-C95969BA648F.jpeg
BE8A9322-4997-4418-B1F1-725FCAE2A5AA.jpeg
DC70D5F5-64AB-40F2-9154-D6A1762A7732.jpeg
D45CA32D-1C8D-4C49-8651-F1418117F848.jpeg

Last edited: