Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice coincidence, just made french onion soup tonight
Haha, great minds, great minds!

As for some thoughts on the knife, first few cuts through the onions with the skin on, it was actually wedging a little, but it just glides through them sans skin. Once it had a little onion juice on it, it cut a lot easier when they had the skin on too. Love the handle, nice balance and wonderful flat spot for push/pull cutting and chopping, but still rocks just fine. Light weight but feels solid and substantial at the same time.

Haha, great minds, great minds!

As for some thoughts on the knife, first few cuts through the onions with the skin on, it was actually wedging a little, but it just glides through them sans skin. Once it had a little onion juice on it, it cut a lot easier when they had the skin on too. Love the handle, nice balance and wonderful flat spot for push/pull cutting and chopping, but still rocks just fine. Light weight but feels solid and substantial at the same time.
Yeah I had a knife from Jamison when he was working with Carter doing Mutekis and sounds very similar. Nice to see him doing his own thing with more interesting steels.

Yeah I had a knife from Jamison when he was working with Carter doing Mutekis and sounds very similar. Nice to see him doing his own thing with more interesting steels.
I’m thinking I might try putting a slightly toothier edge on it, but don’t know if I want to mess with it yet.

Overall it cuts very well and is a work of art to look at, I’m really happy with it and glad I made the impulse purchase splurge with the Black Friday sale Rodriguez Butcher Supply had going.

I’m thinking I might try putting a slightly toothier edge on it, but don’t know if I want to mess with it yet.

Overall it cuts very well and is a work of art to look at, I’m really happy with it and glad I made the impulse purchase splurge with the Black Friday sale Rodriguez Butcher Supply had going.
Yeah the black friday sale was too strong to resist 🤣

Asano Kajiya classic. I always wanted to try white steel, I've not heard much about the maker but came across this one at what I think is a reasonable price. So far gave it a touch up on the stone's and cut an onion with skin on and just slid through. It's 210mm blade length
50mm heel height
150grams
White #1 stainless clad
It came in the biggest knife box I've ever had before
20221205_221333.jpg
20221205_220738.jpg
20221205_214834.jpg
20221205_213852.jpg
after a closer look, I think a polishing will reveal some hidden beauty.

Zakharov 220m gyuto
220m blade made of Boehler N690 stainless steel (60HRC), micarta and ironwood handle.
Handle is one of the most comfortable ones I´ve held (much taller than wide).
At 210g it has a nice substantial but still nimble feel to it.
Spine&choil nicely rounded. From tip to spine it is slightly edgy/sharp.
Grind is nice and thin with a perfect and sharp primary bevel.
Considering the expensive steel and ironwood plus an impeccable finish I´d say quite a steal.
Looking forward using it and will get back with some feedback with regards to the steel.

New Work Beaters. Hatsukokoro Komorebi Blue 1 Dammy 180mm Santoku and Hatsukokoro Ginyo Dammy 150mm Petty. Something different to me since all of my knives are Gyuto. The Komorebi looks more like a Gyuto to me rather than a santoku. As for the petty, I needed one for small task rather than just using a Gyuto. Well hopefully I can find some good handles for them since I don’t really keep stock handles.
8CD0A725-087D-459C-A584-ADF22CA48367.jpeg
D780D9BE-3CFD-42D7-BFBA-AE5F2EF93C34.jpeg
5DC7BC3C-029C-4659-A694-2DEE146E4D7C.jpeg
3D242698-9688-4776-BED8-9DBAB435B418.jpeg
17440454-C849-4E01-B991-D69AB5A4C28B.jpeg

New Work Beaters. Hatsukokoro Komorebi Blue 1 Dammy 180mm Santoku and Hatsukokoro Ginyo Dammy 150mm Petty. Something different to me since all of my knives are Gyuto. The Komorebi looks more like a Gyuto to me rather than a santoku. As for the petty, I needed one for small task rather than just using a Gyuto. Well hopefully I can find some good handles for them since I don’t really keep stock handles.View attachment 212611View attachment 212612View attachment 212613View attachment 212614View attachment 212615
Yeah you should just send that ugly handle with the blonde horn to me. I can dispose of it for you

Yeah you should just send that ugly handle with the blonde horn to me. I can dispose of it for you

Yeah put me in line for that komorebi handle if you don't want it man that's so nice. 🤣 Love my Komorebi.

I’ll maybe put that on the petty and change the one on the santoku. 😅🤷🏻‍♂️

This baby finally came from the slow boat from Australia. Will's first Magnacut gyuto, and it's a beauty. Used it a bit already and it's a joy.

View attachment 212707

Congrats! Mine from that batch is still showing shipping status “Ready for postal carrier to collect” - I think it’s been sitting in customs since last week.

Congrats! Mine from that batch is still showing shipping status “Ready for postal carrier to collect” - I think it’s been sitting in customs since last week.
Yeah really wish express was included for a $800+ knife, I just chose normal shipping speed because I tried to check out as fast as possible. Regardless, just happy to have it now

Yeah really wish express was included for a $800+ knife, I just chose normal shipping speed because I tried to check out as fast as possible. Regardless, just happy to have it now

You expect a maker to include free express international shipping just because he’s charging over a certain price? L O L
The fact that he eats any international shipping cost is above and beyond.

You expect a maker to include free express international shipping just because he’s charging over a certain price? L O L
The fact that he eats any international shipping cost is above and beyond.
Did I say expect anywhere? You really have trouble reading my words. I said WISH. Man when will the petty call outs end.

I have ordered dozens of custom knives from abroad, and 9/10 they have free express shipping, also for protection for the seller that the goods are actually received, express is way more reliable. My isasmedjans had free DHL express for example. Same price ranges. $900. And yes that is something you get when paying more for an item. Again look at a shop like Jonas. His cheaper knives do not have DHL express included. His more expensive ones do. Hate to break it to you, but that's very normal. I ordered from Hitohira shops in Europe. Free DHL express over $750.

For a business account, express international for something this small is not pricey. I shipped 3 knives the past week UPS expedited (3-5 days to Europe) fully insured cost less than $40. Ground shipping already fully insured in the states is right around $20 regardless. I know I include free express shipping international if my knife I sold is close to $1k. No way am I risking sending that through snail mail for mine, or the buyers sanity. Hell, I usually include it for a $3-$400 knife if they pay with a fee-less payment method.

I really question how much you buy from abroad. From individual custom makers in South Africa, Russia, and Europe to even shops like Knives and Stones Australia, over a certain dollar amount DHL express always gets tacked on free...at least for me. Maybe not you.

Last edited:
Unless you have a business account, shipping rates can be through the roof.

From Canada to Europe will cost ~ $150CAD to ship a knife. I've quoted Canada Post, UPS, DHL, FedEx. And that is using as small of box as possible to avoid cube weight.

I've seen as high prices quoted to Australia.

It is really up to the makers business model, but you are always paying for the shipping - do they bury it in the price, or does it get tacked on? You're paying for it either way.

Which brings me to a pet peeve - I walk into a shop and the price is the same as online, but online I'd get free shipping. So the store makes more profit if I buy from them in person.

There's no such thing as 'free shipping'. It's simply not listed seperately and included in the final price tag.
At worst it means people living close to the store are essentially subsidizing the shipping of those living further away.

From Canada to Europe will cost ~ $150CAD to ship a knife. I've quoted Canada Post, UPS, DHL, FedEx. And that is using as small of box as possible to avoid cube weight.

Give Shippo a try.

I’ve had good experience using Shippo/Canada Post and Shippo/UPS.

There's no such thing as 'free shipping'. It's simply not listed seperately and included in the final price tag.
At worst it means people living close to the store are essentially subsidizing the shipping of those living further away.
Yeah of course it is baked into the price. In my explanation I used both terms included and free, while I should just say "included".

That's why high cost items can come with express, and cheaper items don't. More margins for the seller usually and again, you don't want to risk snail mail international in my opinion.

Last edited:

I've seen as high prices quoted to Australia.

It is really up to the makers business model, but you are always paying for the shipping - do they bury it in the price, or does it get tacked on? You're paying for it either way.

Which brings me to a pet peeve - I walk into a shop and the price is the same as online, but online I'd get free shipping. So the store makes more profit if I buy from them in person.
Check out pirateship too. Ups overnight becomes 40-50 instead of 150+. USPS and UPS are way cheaper.

Back