Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New kipp arrived yesterday. 225 x 55 in 52100 with a wp grind. I haven't cut anything yet but it looks and feels amazing!

Attachments

• 20230606_110354.jpg
    20230606_110354.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230606_110307.jpg
    20230606_110307.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230606_110259.jpg
    20230606_110259.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230606_110240.jpg
    20230606_110240.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Another one that arrived recently:

Shihan W2 (Not Shirogami) / Wrought Iron Clad / Ebony handle
253mm x 63mm 310g
Spine thicknesses:
at handle:4.6mm
Midpoint: 3.72mm
Where the grind comes across: 2.65mm
1cm back from the tip: 1.17mm
Balance point 45mm in front of the handle, basically on the near side of the Maker's Mark.

ShihanW2-018771.jpg
ShihanW2-018781.jpg
ShihanW2-018911.jpg

Another beast of a knife, ready to plow through anything.

I don't know if it's just me... but there's a quality to Shihan's wrought that makes me feel like I'm looking at the storms of Jupiter or some other celestial gas giant. It really draws me in.

Last edited:
Konosuke makes a lot of knives, they are a brand that work with multiple blacksmiths. Even FMs there are plenty out there. I'd say nowadays Tsukasa might be pumping out the least in that list, but technically that might change if Kato is really retiring. Shig makes a decent-ish amount when compared to the rarer stuff. Kasumi and kitaeji obviously a bit rarer than the KU's...

I think it's all down to SKU's. Like an FM kaiju or a togo reigo is much rarer compared to like a kasumi shig or a kato standard. But a regular FM? Definitely way way more compared to let's say a kitaeji (actually that might not even be true, they have been making them for decades while Konosuke has been doing the FM for around 10-ish years? It's probably more accurate to say an FM is way easier to find on the secondary compared to the kitaeji, even if more have been made in history.) So as you can tell, It all depends. Lots of factors.

What does one do when sent to a class in San Antonio. See the Alamo? The Riverwalk? No! One goes to Rodriguez Butcher Supply. I know nothing about this knife except I liked it.

Attachments

• 20230606_180103.jpg
    20230606_180103.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230606_180125.jpg
    20230606_180125.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230606_180131.jpg
    20230606_180131.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230606_180509.jpg
    20230606_180509.jpg
    887.2 KB · Views: 0
Konosuke makes a lot of knives, they are a brand that work with multiple blacksmiths. Even FMs there are plenty out there. I'd say nowadays Tsukasa might be pumping out the least in that list, but technically that might change if Kato is really retiring. Shig makes a decent-ish amount when compared to the rarer stuff. Kasumi and kitaeji obviously a bit rarer than the KU's...

I think it's all down to SKU's. Like an FM kaiju or a togo reigo is much rarer compared to like a kasumi shig or a kato standard. But a regular FM? Definitely way way more compared to let's say a kitaeji (actually that might not even be true, they have been making them for decades while Konosuke has been doing the FM for around 10-ish years? It's probably more accurate to say an FM is way easier to find on the secondary compared to the kitaeji, even if more have been made in history.) So as you can tell, It all depends. Lots of factors.
Spot on - as you point out, it’s not only the maker but steel and model. I would say the rarest of rare and unicorns are:
Kato Damascus
Kato kikuriyu

It will be a journey for you to find either of the above. It might take over a year of searching and talking to people before you find one

I would add Ashi Honyaki, Toyama Honyaki (impossible to find these days). Both will require some sort of networking within KKF and months of talking to people before you land one - just like Kato above

Shig is available, but Yo Kitaeji is harder to find, and Kitaeji Nakiri is also harder to find - but, yes, they can be found

There might be some rare tamahagane Japanese knife makers out there that are super rare - but they tend to be collectibles, not actually useable kitchen knives. All of the above are useable kitchen knives that will be outstanding in the kitchen

Kaiju is rare - because they seem to be no longer made. But I believe it’s because Myojin and Tanaka swamped - but they could make more in the future - who knows

View attachment 246919New board from @OwlWoodworks - if you follow him on IG you likely saw his post about this board. Without going in to too much detail, this “imperfect board” became an amazing anniversary gift for my wife.

View attachment 246918And I got this B&B carbon a little while ago and I’ve had it hidden from her for weeks to gift her.

Pretty sure she now has the best prep set up in our area lol.
So happy to see this safe and sound in your home! I hope it serves you well for many many more anniversaries.

@Jbpruner

Great pickup. That profile looks awesome.

The longer I have been around (not long), the more I appreciate the actual knife. The tip shape, profile, and grind on that look soooo good. Tip is low off the table, has plenty of blade height, and is tapered to infinity. I know Kipp is a forum favorite, so no one is surprised lol. 2-3 months ago, I really did not care for plain finished mono-steel knives. I was all about aesthetics and felt stock removal knives were sort of meh. These guys (stock removal artists and so much more) are just masters in a different dimension. Bidinger falls into the same category for me and my BD is my favorite knife to use. Love looking at some of these examples.

Last edited:
Kaiju is rare - because they seem to be no longer made. But I believe it’s because Myojin and Tanaka swamped - but they could make more in the future - who knows

I got to take a peek at the forum mass drop Tanaka x Myojin over at Strata. I have never handled a Kaiju, but I don't think anyone who hit the lottery for the mass drop will be missing one... The wrought iron work takes it absolutely over the top. If anyone wants to sell their spot... I will 100% pay a premium lol. I have been considering throwing out a WTB for a knife that has yet to be shipped. Does anyone have any advice as to whether that is even kosher? The want is strong.

I got to take a peek at the forum mass drop Tanaka x Myojin over at Strata. I have never handled a Kaiju, but I don't think anyone who hit the lottery for the mass drop will be missing one... The wrought iron work takes it absolutely over the top. If anyone wants to sell their spot... I will 100% pay a premium lol. I have been considering throwing out a WTB for a knife that has yet to be shipped. Does anyone have any advice as to whether that is even kosher? The want is strong.
We are hoping to get more in! Myojin swamped, but @nakiriknaifuwaifu and I we are working on it

What was it like? Say more😂😂 enquiring minds want to know

@RockyBasel - It was just a sample piece, but one word ---> dreamy. The wrought iron looks amazing and is really special / unique for a J knife. I remember it being almost suminigashi looking even though it is not damascus. I think further information is classified, and I fear that I have already said too much ;). It's a banger for sure. Ummm... if you get some in... yeah. I will donate a kidney.

Last edited:
@Jbpruner

Great pickup. That profile looks awesome.

The longer I have been around (not long), the more I appreciate the actual knife. The tip shape, profile, and grind on that look soooo good. Tip is low off the table, has plenty of blade height, and is tapered to infinity. I know Kipp is a forum favorite, so no one is surprised lol. 2-3 months ago, I really did not care for plain finished mono-steel knives. I was all about aesthetics and felt stock removal knives were sort of meh. These guys (stock removal artists and so much more) are just masters in a different dimension. Bidinger falls into the same category for me and my BD is my favorite knife to use. Love looking at some of these examples.
Thanks! I feel the same way. I think there can be tremendous value and beauty in both forged and bar stock knifes. Jules and Dan definitely seem to be two of the top stock removal guys. I haven't tried one of Dans knifes yet but i hear great things and judging from pictures his grinds are pretty awesome. Hopefully I'll get my hands on a Bidinger one day 😬

Another one that arrived recently:

Shihan W2 (Not Shirogami) / Wrought Iron Clad / Ebony handle
253mm x 63mm 310g
Spine thicknesses:
at handle:4.6mm
Midpoint: 3.72mm
Where the grind comes across: 2.65mm
1cm back from the tip: 1.17mm
Balance point 45mm in front of the handle, basically on the near side of the Maker's Mark.

View attachment 247139View attachment 247140View attachment 247141

Another beast of a knife, ready to plow through anything.

I don't know if it's just me... but there's a quality to Shihan's wrought that makes me feel like I'm looking at the storms of Jupiter or some other celestial gas giant. It really draws me in.
That might be a perfect knife for what I like. Haven’t been this envious over a single knife in a long time. Shihan wrought clad is top 5 knife as is… but with those dimensions and weight that particular example is gonna be living rent free in my brain for a good while.

Been waiting on these for 6+ months, it paid off. Tadokoro Blue 1 (nakagawa) mirror polished K tip gyuto extra height and Suji. Originally I wanted a k tip suji to match the gyuto but I decided to kind of make a double bevel sakimaru out of it. I thought I would only use my suji 1-2 a month for brisket slicing and prime ribs maybe so why not have it look a little wild. Not the most practical thing but I'm ok with that.

tadokoro.jpg

Back