Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Kono Fujiamas "Funayukis" are just Gyutos with a flat profile, they are nothing "real funayuki" based on a ryo-deba or thin single bevel utility knife....also...they sell out so fast that nobody that doesn't know what they are will ever have a chance to buy them :eek:

The Kono Fujiamas "Funayukis" are just Gyutos with a flat profile, they are nothing "real funayuki" based on a ryo-deba or thin single bevel utility knife....also...they sell out so fast that nobody that doesn't know what they are will ever have a chance to buy them :eek:

This Funayuki does not have a flat profile at all, the old ones did I believe. I also don’t think that these are Fujiyama knives either, they don’t appear to be Tanaka forged nor are they morhito finished. I got this one second hand, so I agree they sell fast. I wanted to compare the newer kono vs the older ones I have as I often do and I much prefer the old ones still.

This Funayuki does not have a flat profile at all, the old ones did I believe. I also don’t think that these are Fujiyama knives either, they don’t appear to be Tanaka forged nor are they morhito finished. I got this one second hand, so I agree they sell fast. I wanted to compare the newer kono vs the older ones I have as I often do and I much prefer the old ones still.

The (real) funayuki kono was just sold out a couple of weeks ago on CKTG for ~$350 with plain octogon ho-wood handles.
They were listed on Sunday morning at like 0800 and sold out in <10 minutes...

Keep in mind "flatter" is simply relative to FM Konosuke Fujiyamas,
and Kono can call their knives whatever they want.

FM b2 is a decent knife but would be better with flatter
profile IMHO, so hopefully your new version is to your liking.

Agreed. I think Tanaka is only forging the FM blades and sharpened by the new guy. The rest are made by a mix of bladesmiths including the female smith, but sharpened by the same guy.

The (real) funayuki kono was just sold out a couple of weeks ago on CKTG for ~$350 with plain octogon ho-wood handles.
They were listed on Sunday morning at like 0800 and sold out in <10 minutes...

Keep in mind "flatter" is simply relative to FM Konosuke Fujiyamas,
and Kono can call their knives whatever they want.

FM b2 is a decent knife but would be better with flatter
profile IMHO, so hopefully your new version is to your liking.

Yep, I believe it’s from that run. Just put it head to head with the shiva kashima KS clone, very similar type knives. I don’t keep a lot of overlap knives anymore so I may sell the kono shortly. I wish the funi had a flatter rear profile, that’s an aspect I desire in my knives. Head to head the kashima is still the KS type to beat in my book.

All of these new Konos (Fuji, etc) have grinds vaguely similar to Gen2 Masamoto KS...

not sure if there was some new techniques or new generation of sharpeners
but its hard to ignore ther is some kind of convergence here.

Not sayings its good or bad, but just observing...

None of the newer Fujiyamas are finished by Morihiro except for the Vintage Carbon(Togo Reigo) and latest version of the original B#2 with shinogi.
Agreed. I think Tanaka is only forging the FM blades and sharpened by the new guy. The rest are made by a mix of bladesmiths including the female smith, but sharpened by the same guy.
It was sold as "Konosuke Fujiyama FM Blue#2 Funayuki Gyuto 255mm."

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvfg8rtBq3l/

Last edited:
Found a Vintage sabatier at good will for 3 dollars.. Removed the bolster and thinned the hell out of it. Still really rough on the fit and finish, but will get around to that later

Edge retention is insane on it, surprisingly. As good as Watanabe, or maybe better? Better than my Yoshikane, for sure.

Using it at work as my beater knife currently.

Attachments

• 20190511_230428.jpg
    20190511_230428.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 271
  • 20190511_164418.jpg
    20190511_164418.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 276
Found a Vintage sabatier at good will for 3 dollars.. Removed the bolster and thinned the hell out of it. Still really rough on the fit and finish, but will get around to that later

Edge retention is insane on it, surprisingly. As good as Watanabe, or maybe better? Better than my Yoshikane, for sure.

When you say vintage..how old is it then ?

Holy crap! Great job on that sabatier!

Got this little beauty on its way to TX.
Comet 220x53 205g gyuto. 1018 reactive cladding and W2 core. Tasmanian Blackwood handle.
This is made from Treys first san mai billet he forged welded himself, so a special blade if only for that fact. Hand forged down to 2mm without power tools. Finished on Jnats. 4mm out the handle, super thin choil, and a really great progressive distal taper.
CyPGBmX.jpg

Boy is on actual fire

KwaZNJQ.jpg

76y9FLZ.jpg

cX2oHwL.jpg

Halcyon Forge

61-62 HRC. CPM-154

Curly Tasmanian Blackwood handle, Blackwood ferrule/ Mammoth tooth spacer

Compound S-grind, which is a hollow along the middle of the blade.

Blade Length: 250mm
Heel Height: 53mm
Width of spine out of handle: 2.51mm
Width of spine halfway down: 2.31mm
Width of spine 4cm from tip: 1.69mm
Width of spine 2cm from tip: 1.31mm
Overall weight: 206g

Still in shock with its build quality, feel, and cutting prowess.

I’ll be listing my 240 White#2 Gengetsu in the upcoming weeks :)

Last edited:
KwaZNJQ.jpg

76y9FLZ.jpg

cX2oHwL.jpg

Halcyon Forge

61-62 HRC. CPM-154

Curly Tasmanian Blackwood handle, Blackwood ferrule/ Mammoth tooth spacer

Compound S-grind, which is a hollow along the middle of the blade.

Blade Length: 250mm
Heel Height: 53mm
Width of spine out of handle: 2.51mm
Width of spine halfway down: 2.31mm
Width of spine 4cm from tip: 1.69mm
Width of spine 2cm from tip: 1.31mm
Overall weight: 206g

Still in shock

Just gorgeous. Great score.

Is that a Fujiyama funayuki?

Yes, that is a Konosuke Fujiyama FM Funayuki. So its the same Blacksmith as all Fujiyama knives, Yoshikazu Tanaka, and their newer sharpener. It takes a lot of talent to so consistently get a knife that thin at the edge. Morihiro, the original Fujiyama sharpener, took a lot of the early pre-2014 Fujiyama to near that thinness.. but nowhere near as consistently.

As far as it not being a "true Fuji"? On what grounds?
Same blacksmith as always, forged to the same standard / HRC.
Many of the same stylings- spine shaping. choil shaping. And, except for the Funayuki, same overall profile.
The new sharpener has years of experience, including years of training by Morihiro himself.
And he is overseen by Kosuke, who helped realize Fujiyama in the first place.
Sure they're not wide bevel.. but neither were the White Steel Fujiyama, which some people weirdly claim are the end-all be-all of Fujiyama.

So...not a Fujiyama how exactly?

Some might try to mistakingly compare it to a KS, but its actually based off a Murray Carter's "Funayuki" gyuto. That is actually the knife that was sent to Kosuke as a basis for this profile. But yeah- nothing like Actual Funayuki knives.

And as far as too delicate for Professional use... I know a number of people that use FM Fujiyama professionally, for years, with no issues. And no edge retention?? Its 64 HRC.

The modern "Fuji" series seems to have variances in heft.

The FM i tried in b2 was reasonably solid knife,
whereas the wh1 was a track car.

Do you think that's just a light sample or are all the funaykis
got that crazy lazer grind likt the FT (or whatever the lasest thin verions is)?
For what it’s worth I had two in the shop from this funaykis batch. It might be the high and low range, but one was 150 g, the other was 165 g both with the 30 g ho wood handle.

Yes, that is a Konosuke Fujiyama FM Funayuki. So its the same Blacksmith as all Fujiyama knives, Yoshikazu Tanaka, and their newer sharpener. It takes a lot of talent to so consistently get a knife that thin at the edge. Morihiro, the original Fujiyama sharpener, took a lot of the early pre-2014 Fujiyama to near that thinness.. but nowhere near as consistently.

As far as it not being a "true Fuji"? On what grounds?
Same blacksmith as always, forged to the same standard / HRC.
Many of the same stylings- spine shaping. choil shaping. And, except for the Funayuki, same overall profile.
The new sharpener has years of experience, including years of training by Morihiro himself.
And he is overseen by Kosuke, who helped realize Fujiyama in the first place.
Sure they're not wide bevel.. but neither were the White Steel Fujiyama, which some people weirdly claim are the end-all be-all of Fujiyama.

So...not a Fujiyama how exactly?

Some might try to mistakingly compare it to a KS, but its actually based off a Murray Carter's "Funayuki" gyuto. That is actually the knife that was sent to Kosuke as a basis for this profile. But yeah- nothing like Actual Funayuki knives.

And as far as too delicate for Professional use... I know a number of people that use FM Fujiyama professionally, for years, with no issues. And no edge retention?? Its 64 HRC.

Do you have a new kono funi? Have you seen an old kono funi? Even these aren’t even real similar. Where do you come up with 64 HRC? They were never marketed that high! Who’s been using FMs for years? I had 2 1st gen Fuji in white 1 and 2 both had wide bevels and they were great knives, so how is this weird? Maybe ask Aaron Carter or Steve G and I think chip has a few white konos left. Also, early konos didn’t have nearly a refined edge as the new funi I just received, in fact nearly all blue fujis I owned new couldn’t even cut paper out of the box. This new FM is a fly weight knife that’s razor blade thin, it’s an absolute laser.

Do I have a new Kono FM: Yup. Three of them. Don't own a FM Funayuki yet though- missed the first shipment. Plan to get one from the next set.
Have I seen the old Funayuki: The wide bevel? Yeah. Here's a picture. Profile looks PRETTY similar. The difference? The FM is 52mm, and the original was closer to 49.5

Where do I come up with 64 HRC: Well, if you had actually read my article, that you even commented on, you'd see I disclose it there. Got the number directly from Kosuke, who got it directly from Tanaka. I even referenced why we see a disparity. So the number is officially from the Blacksmith.

Who has been using FMs for years: You can ask Brett about it actually, he's one person that's a Pro chef, and has used his at work. Others can speak up if they care to, but I've spoken to a few now- some at the Konosuke get together in Toronto last year. I've used mine for over a year as well, but I'm not Pro.

You had Morihiro ground White steel that had wide bevels: Cool..?
Those are rare, and not the norm. I asked Kosuke about wide bevel whites, and he didn't recall many. Same with Ivan when I spoke with him in Toronto- he only remembered one set of White 2 gyuto that had wide bevel. You sure yours weren't altered after market?

And yeah- Chip still has a few white steel Fujiyama. I have a picture of his knives- none of his whites are wide bevel.

Yeah, early Fujiyama didn't come with finished edges. These FM do.
What does that have to do with edge geometry? I thought you were talking about the flex of the edge under your nail.. which doesn't have anything to do with whether it has a finished edge or not.

Some early Morihiro ground Fujiyama have that same thinness down at the edge- where it flexes with pressure from your nail. But he didn't do it near as consistently. Why didn't he? I dunno. I'll ask him myself when I see him later this year.

Is your Funayuki especially thin and or light? Possibly. But go back to my big history thread- there I have old stock 240 Fujiyama that came in around 150 grams.. which is similar to what another user posted.
What's your spine thickness? All of my FMs are right around that 3mm mark... but then get wicked thin at the edge. I wouldn't call them lasers though- not when things like the HD/2 are almost a full millimeter thinner at the spine.

Honestly not sure. It was completely rusted over, rust picked deep into the blade.

Thank you!

Very impressive indeed.
Honestly not sure. It was completely rusted over, rust picked deep into the blade.

Thank you!

It was a fun little project. Great little line knife.

It was a fun little project. Great little line knife.

Very impressive indeed.

I asked because here where I live I have seen brand new, never used and still in the box. K Sabatier chef knives made before 1960 and stored until now. So my thought was that it was one of those

I’ve been wanting to try Evan’s work fo a while and even though I decided not to buy more knives until all the ones I committed to come in... what is one to do when an opportunity comes along... Just received it today, so only first impression, but so far extremely well made and I really mean extremely for both knife and saya. I just hope it won’t be too large for me

260x55-56mm 125SC differentially heat treated (Honyaki)

DCCB6030-5159-4F82-81BD-CEB0A49CCFA9.jpeg
F7B275EA-CA2E-4EC6-AA3A-1F12B39EF7B7.jpeg
BFADE605-8F5C-4FE3-BF30-1190C9A60675.jpeg
6434D1A8-977A-4243-86AD-C975112BF2A4.jpeg
E04C19FA-F981-442D-8F38-91C74B75F805.jpeg

Do I have a new Kono FM: Yup. Three of them. Don't own a FM Funayuki yet though- missed the first shipment. Plan to get one from the next set.
Have I seen the old Funayuki: The wide bevel? Yeah. Here's a picture. Profile looks PRETTY similar. The difference? The FM is 52mm, and the original was closer to 49.5

Where do I come up with 64 HRC: Well, if you had actually read my article, that you even commented on, you'd see I disclose it there. Got the number directly from Kosuke, who got it directly from Tanaka. I even referenced why we see a disparity. So the number is officially from the Blacksmith.

Who has been using FMs for years: You can ask Brett about it actually, he's one person that's a Pro chef, and has used his at work. Others can speak up if they care to, but I've spoken to a few now- some at the Konosuke get together in Toronto last year. I've used mine for over a year as well, but I'm not Pro.

You had Morihiro ground White steel that had wide bevels: Cool..?
Those are rare, and not the norm. I asked Kosuke about wide bevel whites, and he didn't recall many. Same with Ivan when I spoke with him in Toronto- he only remembered one set of White 2 gyuto that had wide bevel. You sure yours weren't altered after market?

And yeah- Chip still has a few white steel Fujiyama. I have a picture of his knives- none of his whites are wide bevel.

Yeah, early Fujiyama didn't come with finished edges. These FM do.
What does that have to do with edge geometry? I thought you were talking about the flex of the edge under your nail.. which doesn't have anything to do with whether it has a finished edge or not.

Some early Morihiro ground Fujiyama have that same thinness down at the edge- where it flexes with pressure from your nail. But he didn't do it near as consistently. Why didn't he? I dunno. I'll ask him myself when I see him later this year.

Is your Funayuki especially thin and or light? Possibly. But go back to my big history thread- there I have old stock 240 Fujiyama that came in around 150 grams.. which is similar to what another user posted.
What's your spine thickness? All of my FMs are right around that 3mm mark... but then get wicked thin at the edge. I wouldn't call them lasers though- not when things like the HD/2 are almost a full millimeter thinner at the spine.
@Omega i wish you would’ve written all this before Hawkie put it up for sale!

@Omega i wish you would’ve written all this before Hawkie put it up for sale!

@labor of love Sorry about that man : / If you have any other questions, I'm always happy to talk.

For what its worth, the retailer that ordered these supposedly ordered QUITE a few, and that first shipment should be the first of multiple, as long as there aren't any production hang ups. So if the 2nd hand market doesn't turn out, there's still a decent chance of snagging one.

I’ve been wanting to try Evan’s work fo a while and even though I decided not to buy more knives until all the ones I committed to come in... what is one to do when an opportunity comes along... Just received it today, so only first impression, but so far extremely well made and I really mean extremely for both knife and saya. I just hope it won’t be too large for me

260x55-56mm 125SC differentially heat treated (Honyaki)

View attachment 53114 View attachment 53115 View attachment 53116 View attachment 53117 View attachment 53118
Beautiful

Back