Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been wanting to try Evan’s work fo a while and even though I decided not to buy more knives until all the ones I committed to come in... what is one to do when an opportunity comes along... Just received it today, so only first impression, but so far extremely well made and I really mean extremely for both knife and saya. I just hope it won’t be too large for me

260x55-56mm 125SC differentially heat treated (Honyaki)

View attachment 53114 View attachment 53115 View attachment 53116 View attachment 53117 View attachment 53118
Nice one mate

I’ve been wanting to try Evan’s work fo a while and even though I decided not to buy more knives until all the ones I committed to come in... what is one to do when an opportunity comes along... Just received it today, so only first impression, but so far extremely well made and I really mean extremely for both knife and saya. I just hope it won’t be too large for me

View attachment 53114 View attachment 53115 View attachment 53116 View attachment 53117 View attachment 53118
Umm..... WOW!!!

YES!!! Evan is one of my favorite makers. His stuff is awesome. If you change your mind let me know. ;)

While not very Japanese, I really like the combination of the kurouchi finish with the etched hamon under it. Very understated yet still blingy in its own way.

YES!!! Evan is one of my favorite makers. His stuff is awesome. If you change your mind let me know. ;)
Thanks, will do. I like it more than I thought I would, but it is larger than I am used to. More in your size preference, I think.

While not very Japanese, I really like the combination of the kurouchi finish with the etched hamon under it. Very understated yet still blingy in its own way.
Thanks. It looks even better in person, it just works somehow.

Got a few Forgecrafts to clean up, sharpen and re-handle.

fc.jpg

JNS Sakai Jikko blue steel honyaki. Ootb I love the faint, basic, non flashy hamon. It’s just visible enough to let you know it’s a honyaki without being all in your face about it. :D
6E767B31-97AE-4BB3-93D2-25F755D5E889.jpeg
24B5DC89-3F96-411C-8C5B-53F72BA788F8.jpeg
89A2D7ED-F99A-495F-9D36-A1DFB2087127.jpeg
70BBF9D2-89D4-4ACA-98E8-0D36B9E156CC.jpeg
6EFA2BAC-5B4E-4144-93B2-C0CE8255E633.jpeg

Last edited:
I quick test drive on onions and I’m immediately reminded of akebono which isn’t a shocker. Really need to put my own lefty edge on it also ootb edge isn’t really that great. Still enjoyable grind and profile.
That’s great company to be in, akebono was great. Would love to try this Honyaki, but it is pretty expensive.

Yeah, it’s a little over a grand. About the same price as most honyakis for a 240mm give or take $50-75 unless you get one w a fancy handle.
not bad for blue steel, actually from the JNS pics it seems like the hamon is actually wavy (just not super pronounced waves) but it doesn't show since it is not polished.

Oh well thanks to you I found a way to afford/justify the purchase.
The Yoshikane is treating me very well so far during our honeymoon. I just reground the near edge geometry a bit to suit me better and I'm liking it a lot so it worked well for both xD.

Won this Masashi 270mm sld suji. Pagoda wood and horn handle. Such a beautiful knife.
I won it from Knifewear's Facebook live preview for the annual garage sale. I logged on to see what they had to offer in sujihiki as that is the only style I didn't own. Ended up winning one.
2HsPgtW.jpg

1NW1E60.jpg

2HpTVRr.jpg

YATDsbY.jpg

yzGMwWv.jpg

av2JoCg.jpg

Yeah, it’s a little over a grand. About the same price as most honyakis for a 240mm give or take $50-75 unless you get one w a fancy handle.
How are the specs on that new one? Is it pretty thin at the tip? Does this mean the Shigehiro is going bye bye?

How are the specs on that new one? Is it pretty thin at the tip? Does this mean the Shigehiro is going bye bye?
Haha! Shigehiro is STAYING with me. Even though the narrowness of Shigehiro is a turn off for a lot of people the grind, weight and profile make up for it.
Yeah, this honyaki is thin at the tip the way Akebono is. Sakai Jikko honyaki looks pretty much the same as Sakai Jikko Shiraki San mai that we’ve seen around lately. About identical to the one Bradley crew had for sale. It’s toughly 54mm 245mm

Last edited:
I got this one not for myself, but as a present for my son. It's time to ruin another life… ;)

It's a 210 mm Kaeru Gyuto from JNS. I chose this one because my son isn't a knife geek and doesn't necessarily have the best knife technique, but he appreciates tools that work well. The Kaeru seemed like a good choice because it has a fairly robust grind and is stainless, so it doesn't need to be babied all the time.

I briefly checked the factory edge, and it's nice and sharp. I could get it a little sharper on my stones, no doubt, but it's definitely sharp enough by most people's definition. Fit and finishing are outstanding, in my opinion. Everything is nicely rounded and polished, and the handle is very smooth and shiny with absolutely no step between the wood and the ferrule.

I think this makes for a very nice entry-level knife, and it is priced competitively (USD 121.00).

IMG_2818.JPG

Last edited:
Back