Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll see that Gyuto and raise you a sujihiki.

20190517_063420.jpg

Just got them last night so no cuts yet but must say the Gyuto feels nice in the hand.

Totally agree! Is that banding or a form of "damascus" in that blade?
Wootz is THE Damascus. It is crucible steel emulating the original famous blades forged in Damascus. Al Pendray gained quite a bit of notoriety for rediscovering (with some help from John Verhoeven) the recipe the ancient Syrians used (a touch of V) to make the blades famous for hardness and toughness. It is monosteel, but the banding comes from carbide segregation. Peter makes his own version of the steel. It is pretty amazing to look at. Can't wait to use it!

https://www.mse.iastate.edu/news/john-verhoeven/
https://www.chemistryworld.com/features/raiders-of-the-lost-steel/9344.article

The handles are moose antler.

Attachments

• IMG_2140.JPG
    IMG_2140.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2142.JPG
    IMG_2142.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2143.JPG
    IMG_2143.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2144.JPG
    IMG_2144.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2146.JPG
    IMG_2146.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_2149.JPG
    IMG_2149.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_2150.JPG
    IMG_2150.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 150
Last edited:
So I got my first Kato... 240mm WH Gyuto. I saw it in The Home Butchers IG story, and lets be honest it was a quick and very easy decision to make - BUY IT. I will be using it this weekend when cooking. It is the heaviest knife that I have ever held in my hand. Compared to the 240mm Mazaki that I received just the week before it is quite the knife. I believe everyone will aggree it could be : "The feeling and weight of quality"
Lunch was her first task.
Kato 4.jpg

KATO 1.jpg
KATO 2.jpg
KATO 3.jpg

Mazaki 210 gyuoto. I wasn't supposed to, but Knifewear had a sale and I had heard people go on and on about Mazaki so I went for it. Have only had time to use it once for a very quick dinner, so haven't put it through its paces, but was so surprised at the feel of this (positively).

My collection includes a Yuki, a Matsubara and a Moritaka guytos. The Matsubara probably comes closest in terms of feel, but the amazing distal taper on the Mazaki just makes it so nimble.

I'm a little bit concerned with the iron cladding, as my other iron clad knife stains onions, but I'm really stoked on this one.

Fit and finish were all top notch and the knife feels very premium. The grind and blade finish in particular are exemplary. The knife has a very rustic feel to it, with a visible grind pattern along the whole blade (you can see it in the picture below the shinogi line). The handle is solid and a little bit bigger than the handles on either the Yuki or the Matsubara gyutos.

I look forward to cooking much more with this, but my initial impression is that it's a beast. The thickness at the heel and the taper makes it very easy to navigate and I could almost not feel the onion as I was cutting it.

Sharpness OOB was OK but not insane. Sharp enough to go through product effortlessly but not shaving sharp like for example the Makoto Kurosaki I have.

My only semi-question to myself is if I should have bought this in 240. I have two 240 gyutos, so the 210 size made much more sense, but after cooking with a 240 for a 210 in particular feels weirdly small.

Knifewear's service and response times are absolutely nuts. I ordered this on Monday and got it on Thursday all the way from Canada. They were also super responsive on IG and answered my questions and chatted about the product.

WhatsApp Image 2019-05-17 at 15.22.48 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-05-17 at 15.22.48 (2).jpeg

Toyama Noborikoi 300mm slicer

Q744-iW1JqP74vhL9bsas6RHIMHDaXAnWF9cuBWqkGM.jpg

pictured far right

super lightweight, very interesting knife. excited to try it out tomorrow

Enso SG2 8" chef knife, & Miyabi Mizu SG2 8" chef knife. I've had the Mizu for a while, but just got the Enso. I enjoy using them both!

9t4CpYg.jpg

Wootz is THE Damascus. It is crucible steel emulating the original famous blades forged in Damascus. Al Pendray gained quite a bit of notoriety for rediscovering (with some help from John Verhoeven) the recipe the ancient Syrians used (a touch of V) to make the blades famous for hardness and toughness. It is monosteel, but the banding comes from carbide segregation. Peter makes his own version of the steel. It is pretty amazing to look at. Can't wait to use it!

That wootz

A lot of activity here from the recent JNS and KW sales.

Munetoshi 165 Petty, nice little petty with good heel height.
_20190517_201057.jpeg

Thanks for the education and great pictures. That is some knife!

Picked these up. The Konosuke is on another lvl. One of the best cutters and fit and finish I’ve seen. Super happy with it the Hinoura needs some work in the stone, a little rustic and heavy for me
0377FB25-48CD-46A6-996E-510EED4372E9.jpeg
246E8736-531E-4DC4-81B7-134B3C21833D.jpeg
EE677F8E-278A-40E6-B9D2-EDD1A1B8F089.jpeg
8EF9833E-A8D1-4BBE-81B3-67F03F7374CF.jpeg

The cladding line on the Konosuke is a little wonky (though it does make the knife look cool). Part of the reason is probably that the knife is so crazy thin the slightest deviation in the forging gets blown up by super thin grind. Sometimes I wish Konosuke would start making knife in non-laser category again, really love their profiles.

The cladding line on the Konosuke is a little wonky (though it does make the knife look cool). Part of the reason is probably that the knife is so crazy thin the slightest deviation in the forging gets blown up by super thin grind.

One man's wonky is another man's perfection, I guess. I prefer a high cladding line and this one in particular looks amazing. Nice score, man!

One man's wonky is another man's perfection, I guess. I prefer a high cladding line and this one in particular looks amazing. Nice score, man!

Yeah, id be cool with that cladding also. Plenty of room to sharpen for a long time and it looks cool.

Absolutely! But if one observes just the craftsmanship, than "high & crazy" lamination lines are not getting the highest scores usually.

Kono FT as it ships its being reported at around 150g with Kii Ebony handle... that is theoretically around 125g for a 240mm...super light.
I don't think that cladding is wonky, IMHO it's just what happens when you hand-hammer lazer geometry out of pre-fab san mai stock

Back