Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got this nice little 150mm Nitro-V Cris Anderson (@CrisAnderson27 ) and a matching 240mm big brother, though right now I only have decent photos of the 150mm, in part because it is super versatile and I use it more. Has an extra tall heel and comes in at 171 grams, heel at 53mm, blade spot on at 150mm. Really love this knife and gets more use than I thought it would given its size (thanks, Cris, for the advice). Went subtle with the dark grey dyed handle, but the curves are just perfect.
IMG_0660.jpg
IMG_0661.jpg
IMG_0662.jpg
IMG_0663.jpg

Hi!
2 new knives here:

Xerxes Primus Petty
36144244uw.jpg

Sakai Yusuke extra thin extra hard, ebony handle blond ferrule.
36144250fk.jpg

Both are an addition.

The Petty is the little sister to the 23cm gyuto
36144256fa.jpg

The Yusuke is the little brother to the 24cm gyuto
36144265hn.jpg

Mack.

I especially dig the Xerxes gyuto and petty. It's a cool "set", very beautiful knives.

Congrats and great handle choice!!!

Thank you so much for all of your input and advice!! I did the math and figured that if I'm going to change the handle anyway, I might as well get a custom handle from Shinichi right in the beginning. Probably a bad beginner's knife, but knowing myself it'll always be my white whale until I get my hands on it, so I might as well do it now and not waste money on a starter nakiri :p

Also, wow, the 3200 yen shipping is so worth it. Shin sent it out Monday morning in Japan (so Sunday night over here) and I got this email just now

ijjnEIB.jpg

Bad day to have a dinner reservation right after work though

EDIT: Just got this email "You have a DHL delivery at the front desk"

Can I call in sick and go home now?

Last edited:
C II Bladeworks (Carter Hopkins) western handled differentially hardened W2 gyuto. 248x50mm. Weighs in at 200g, and the balance point is right at the heel. Quilted maple saya, gaboon ebony & brass snakeskin carbon fiber bolster & brass accents

1TWsqaD.jpg

VuUXLWH.jpg

OvCRWr6.jpg

ntz2yWk.jpg

Got home at 9 after dinner, but still needed to take this one for a test run. Couldn't get any natural lights in my kitchen, so here are pictures of her with different lighting. In person, the handle (Honduran rosewood with a black dyed maple ferrule) looks light brown, perhaps a bit orange.

WaWbSoT.jpg

4Dzkxqo.jpg

eNjcens.jpg

Measurements: She's quite chunky at 212g and about 58~59mm tall at the heel (not sure how to really measure this though). However, it feels very different from my Mercer santoku which is also 212g. The Wat is blade heavy - I can barely feel the handle at all. Balance point is around the last kanji. I believe the handle is shorter than a stock handle, which is fine with me and my tiny girl hands :p

Fit & Finish: The finish of the blade itself is rough (as expected tbh), but I don't think it affects performance at all. I did wipe the blade with acetone to remove the black/brownish coating (got that stuff on my fingers afterwards and for a second there I thought I had a degenerative skin disease lol)

I asked Shinichi to pick the best blade he had to go with the handle, so I think he polished the spine. However the choil is very rough and untouched/ unpolished. Doesn't hurt to put my fingers there, but it doesn't feel nice either. I'd appreciate any tips on how to make it nicer.

Performance: I only got to play around with it for about 45 minutes or so. Cut up 3 ingredients for a vegetable terrine I'm making later this week: yellow squash, zucchini, and carrots. Since this is my 1st nakiri and 3rd J knife, it feels a lot different than any other knife I've used. Unlike my 240mm Gengetsu SS (which feels more balanced), I could feel the chunkiness of the blade with each cut. It feels sharp ootb, but then again I'm not the expert on this.

I did have problems with food release, however. All 3 ingredients stuck to the place as I cut them. Tested the Gengetsu with them, and it definitely had better food release. Of course my technique is questionable, but I'm guessing the tall blade had something to do with this as well? Is it true that Nakiris are not known for their food release compared to gyutos?

Tonight, I will try to run the knife on the stone for the first time ever (as in, I bought my Gesshin 1000/6000 a month ago and it's still not soaked :oops:) to see if making it more sharp would help with the food release. Advice on this would be greatly appreciated too

Finally, family photo under crappy lighting
cUDAYAM.jpg

Nice handle. Good to see more photos of the custom hanldes offered by Shin. . . beyond the photo on his website.

Very cool. Once you get used to working with Nakiris they are really fun.

Got home at 9 after dinner, but still needed to take this one for a test run. Couldn't get any natural lights in my kitchen, so here are pictures of her with different lighting. In person, the handle (Honduran rosewood with a black dyed maple ferrule) looks light brown, perhaps a bit orange.

WaWbSoT.jpg

4Dzkxqo.jpg

eNjcens.jpg

Measurements: She's quite chunky at 212g and about 58~59mm tall at the heel (not sure how to really measure this though). However, it feels very different from my Mercer santoku which is also 212g. The Wat is blade heavy - I can barely feel the handle at all. Balance point is around the last kanji. I believe the handle is shorter than a stock handle, which is fine with me and my tiny girl hands :p

Fit & Finish: The finish of the blade itself is rough (as expected tbh), but I don't think it affects performance at all. I did wipe the blade with acetone to remove the black/brownish coating (got that stuff on my fingers afterwards and for a second there I thought I had a degenerative skin disease lol)

I asked Shinichi to pick the best blade he had to go with the handle, so I think he polished the spine. However the choil is very rough and untouched/ unpolished. Doesn't hurt to put my fingers there, but it doesn't feel nice either. I'd appreciate any tips on how to make it nicer.

Performance: I only got to play around with it for about 45 minutes or so. Cut up 3 ingredients for a vegetable terrine I'm making later this week: yellow squash, zucchini, and carrots. Since this is my 1st nakiri and 3rd J knife, it feels a lot different than any other knife I've used. Unlike my 240mm Gengetsu SS (which feels more balanced), I could feel the chunkiness of the blade with each cut. It feels sharp ootb, but then again I'm not the expert on this.

I did have problems with food release, however. All 3 ingredients stuck to the place as I cut them. Tested the Gengetsu with them, and it definitely had better food release. Of course my technique is questionable, but I'm guessing the tall blade had something to do with this as well? Is it true that Nakiris are not known for their food release compared to gyutos?

Tonight, I will try to run the knife on the stone for the first time ever (as in, I bought my Gesshin 1000/6000 a month ago and it's still not soaked :oops:) to see if making it more sharp would help with the food release. Advice on this would be greatly appreciated too

Finally, family photo under crappy lighting
cUDAYAM.jpg

Wrt food release, that is something that was discussed under ’sharpening stone’ not long ago. Neglecting details, I think people were in agreement that the grind is of importance (actually the most important factor) for food release. However, people had different opinions on how different finishes interact with food release. (As far as I can recall, mirror polish was considered the worst). I am in no position to say for sure, but if the knife is sharp, I think there is not much to gain wrt food release by giving the edge a work over. (Maybe you could do some work higher up the blade - fixing the bevel the way you do when you thin out the knife - but I wouldn’t do so myself with a brand new knife). Some of the ingredients you tried the knife on are notoriously sticky, so that is worth taking into the equation. Congrats either way to a great knife. Enjoy it!

Buying this knife was a bad idea, trust me… You had a Gyuto, a paring knife, and a bread knife already. Fine, no problem. Those are the three essential knives in every kitchen. But, man, now you've gone and added a Nakiri, which is a totally non-essential knife in every kitchen.

Have you ever heard of Pandora's box? Now that you have taken off the lid, before you know it, your knives will be fruitful and multiply. And because so many more knives then will need sharpening, your stones will be fruitful and multiply too…

My best advice for your sanity and continued happiness in life: give away the Nakiri immediately, unsubscribe from this forum, and never look at it again! ;)

The Wat nakiri is a tall, thin blade, from what I hear. Both these factors interfere with food release. E.g. with a thin blade, there’s not enough room for the convexity in the grind that helps with food release in many other knives. I wouldn’t expect it to compare to the Gengetsu in this department... food release on a Gengetsu is pretty decent imo. I’ve never handled this knife, though, so take this with a grain of salt.

Buying this knife was a bad idea, trust me… You had a Gyuto, a paring knife, and a bread knife already. Fine, no problem. Those are the three essential knives in every kitchen. But, man, now you've gone and added a Nakiri, which is a totally non-essential knife in every kitchen.

Have you ever heard of Pandora's box? Now that you have taken off the lid, before you know it, your knives will be fruitful and multiply. And because so many more knives then will need sharpening, your stones will be fruitful and multiply too…

My best advice for your sanity and continued happiness in life: give away the Nakiri immediately, unsubscribe from this forum, and never look at it again! ;)

Yeah, but who wants sanity and happiness in life anyway?

The Wat nakiri is a tall, thin blade, from what I hear. Both these factors interfere with food release. E.g. with a thin blade, there’s not enough room for the convexity in the grind that helps with food release in many other knives. I wouldn’t expect it to compare to the Gengetsu in this department... food release on a Gengetsu is pretty decent imo. I’ve never handled this knife, though, so take this with a grain of salt.

Correct. My experience is Nakiris and their big brother Cleavers are not ment for food release. If you search for Chinese or Japanese Pros working with them you will discover they dont care about food release, but welcome the stickiness even. Because they make use of the height to directly shovel the food into bowels / pans / woks / whatever. Pretty clever and saves time.

What a beauty Ditmas! I have a very very similar blade but in AEB-L and can't say enough about him & his work. I just love the nose-to-tail approach that he has with his work and his F&F on all his blades/handles/saya's is second to none.

My unicorn. 225 Marko Tsourkan Work Horse in 52100, based on Kato profile and specs, part of a group-buy. Marko is an immensely talented maker. He's finessed the design, I prefer it to my 240 Kato WH profile.

IzwN5eX.jpg

jTunSry.jpg

Latest posts

Back