Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s not Japanese or fancy in any way, but I have to share this 14” hunk of steel that arrived in the mail today. I know nothing about it really, so if anyone knows anything about the maker or what the steel might be, it’d be appreciated. Markings say Die Drei Brüder Solingen, that’s it.

10” k-sab included for scale

Attachments

• D17C65E7-7B8E-45B3-90D3-D46E53BA8CAF.jpeg
    D17C65E7-7B8E-45B3-90D3-D46E53BA8CAF.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 132
That was the profile that the initial batch from JNS had. Some have referred to it as "bullnose" and others as a long santoku.

That is absolutely correct! Early batch JNS, called the ’bullnose’. Btw was ’bullnose’ an official name of any kind, or was it a name given to the model by KKF members here?

Ohh that's why. I think a while ago I saw a picture of someone's Mazaki collection with most of the profiles old to new, but I can't find it again.
Does anyone know?

Two new friends resting together after some heavy duty on the board.
Wakui 210
Mazaki 250 (also known as the ’Wasp slayer’)
View attachment 56666

Would love to hear any feedback on the Wakui. Considering same knife in the 240mm size.

Ditto, along with any provenance available - I wonder how much difference there is between, for instance, a CC Wakui and an A-Frames Tesshu Wakui. Vendor variation is a bit of a pain to unravel.

Ditto, along with any provenance available - I wonder how much difference there is between, for instance, a CC Wakui and an A-Frames Tesshu Wakui. Vendor variation is a bit of a pain to unravel.

This one was from CC.
I haven’t made up my mind about it yet, but there is certainly a lot to like. Considering it is relatively cheap, you do get (ootb) a pleasing blade, nice taper, rounded spine, and balance (where the pinch is, on mine at least). Additionally, it is pretty thin behind the edge, and it has a nice profile that I really like. The handle looks a bit clumsy (this is a purely aesthetical point), but feels very nice.
I am not crazy about it (but I do recognize its qualities). Presently, it wedges a bit more than I hoped it would and food release is (as expected) not very impressive. It was easy to sharpen (and mine was in desperate need of sharpening). Too early to say anything about edge retention.
Hopefully this report gives you some ideas!

Last edited:
This one was from CC.
I haven’t made up my mind about it yet, but there is certainly a lot to like. Considering it is relatively cheap, you do get (ootb) a pleasing blade, nice taper, rounded spine, and balance (where the pinch is, on mine at least). Additionally, it is pretty thin behind the edge, and it has a nice profile that I really like. The handle looks a bit clumsy (this is a purely aesthetical point), but feels very nice.
I am not crazy about it (but I do recognize its qualities). Presently, it wedges a bit more than I hoped it would and food release is (as expected) not very impressive. It was easy to sharpen (and mine was in desperate need of sharpening). Too early to say anything about edge retention.
Hopefully this report gives you some ideas!

Thanks. I was hoping for a bit better food release than you are expecting. I wonder if the hammered clad versions are any better in that regard or if it is just a tapering issue of the knife.

Speaking of handles, I wasn't in love with the unfinished feeling of the Toyama ho wood handle, so I sanded it with 400 grit wet sandpaper, and applied some mineral oil to bring out the grain. It's looking pretty good, but I'm gonna apply a bit more oil to darken the color.

Y8GKf36.jpg

q0gAO7c.jpg

Thanks. I was hoping for a bit better food release than you are expecting. I wonder if the hammered clad versions are any better in that regard or if it is just a tapering issue of the knife.

I am really not an expert, so don’t rely too heavily on my judgment. Search around KKF to see other people’s opinion - that is my recommendation! Still, here is something that might be worth bearing in mind: it is a pretty thin and tall blade - and (without some extraordinary grind that could have made a difference) all of this taken together might go some way towards explaining the stiction. I wouldn’t say it is terrible - but it is not great. Whether it is better or worse than other knives with similar properties (thin and tall) I wouldn’t know. And the same goes with whether another finish is preferable in this respect.
Good luck!

Speaking of handles, I wasn't in love with the unfinished feeling of the Toyama ho wood handle, so I sanded it with 400 grit wet sandpaper, and applied some mineral oil to bring out the grain. It's looking pretty good, but I'm gonna apply a bit more oil to darken the color.

Y8GKf36.jpg

q0gAO7c.jpg

Looks nice! How about some ’before and after’ pictures?

Well it's a bit too late for that :p but these were taken Thursday night when I got it

J0n7IDQ.jpg

xO6Pk7I.jpg

Is the difference between before and after as subtle as the pictures suggest? I do see some slight differences, but not much more than that. What did you dislike about the original finish of the handle?

Is the difference between before and after as subtle as the pictures suggest? I do see some slight differences, but not much more than that. What did you dislike about the original finish of the handle?
It's pretty subtle, yes. The mineral oil is transparent and it's the same piece of wood so it's not like I could change its color. Just made the grain more deep & profound.
I didn't like how rough the handle felt when wet from fiber expanding, so I sanded it wet to make it smooth

It's pretty subtle, yes. The mineral oil is transparent and it's the same piece of wood so it's not like I could change its color. Just made the grain more deep & profound.
I didn't like how rough the handle felt when wet from fiber expanding, so I sanded it wet to make it smooth

Ah, nicely done! Smoother and more contrast - that is the way of life!

Back