Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's pretty subtle, yes. The mineral oil is transparent and it's the same piece of wood so it's not like I could change its color. Just made the grain more deep & profound.
I didn't like how rough the handle felt when wet from fiber expanding, so I sanded it wet to make it smooth

Has grip been a problem when wet? I generally try to keep my knife hand dry, but stuff happens and the raw ho wood still feels secure. That said, the finished look is nicer.

6F0A111D-0E7F-4458-9FAA-B582E5D282B0.jpg
B8C040EC-87F0-48F7-BA32-EE4C590589EE.jpg
99858EAE-CACD-41AD-B774-02337EC6FD11.jpg
AD5FD5A1-F305-44C2-BE85-8990F7E0D8BD.jpg

Kipp 240 honyaki laser gyuto! Had it for a little but now, finally made a handle for it so I can use it. So far so good, the geometry is excellent! I will test it on stone soon :) thanks Kipp

Got this in the mail from Cleancut the other day. 15 cm Shigeki Tanaka Ginsan Petty.

Old?

Yup, it’s probably been rattling around there for a while.

Dirty?

Sure thing! Just as rough around the edges as you’d expect.

Bastard?

What else would you call that western handle half tang thing?

So, ODB it is. Cheap as can be though, and looks to be a great little knife.

Attachments

• A776E76C-789A-4DD8-A0B1-16C13A7F8142.jpeg
    A776E76C-789A-4DD8-A0B1-16C13A7F8142.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 184
  • A5B8C463-83A2-46EE-8261-2E513925EEA0.jpeg
    A5B8C463-83A2-46EE-8261-2E513925EEA0.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 170
Special Delivery from Japan:
Hitohira Vintage Swedish Carbon with carbon damascus clad 240mm Gyuto by Yoshikazu Tanaka
IMG_6432.JPG

knoll2.JPG

The package came with a couple of extras: a vegetable peeler (which is hilarious...for reasons in a future post), nail clipper, and photos of Tanaka-san crafting the blade! Each photo came with captions in the back describing the stage in the build.

IMG_6436.JPG

Gyuto alongside photo of it's unfinished state.

top down.JPG

Needless to say, I am blown away by the gyuto. It has the heft of a workhorse (I hereby bequeath it the name "Chonk") and the F&F is to be expected (which is excellent). Handle is ebony and buffalo horn

side profile.JPG

Close of up the gyuto - simply astounding to look at and hold.

choil.JPG

Choil shot

I am ashamed that the photos don't completely capture the awesomeness of the knife. I did debate on whether I should just wait for a Morihiro sharpened version, but I did not want to regret not experiencing this either.

Got this in the mail from Cleancut the other day. 15 cm Shigeki Tanaka Ginsan Petty.

Old?

Dirty?

Bastard?

I have the wa Ginsan petty and it's the most used knife in my house

Old?

Dirty?

Bastard?

I’m so jealous! Do you know if they have anymore instock? Can’t find a product page.

Special Delivery from Japan:
Hitohira Vintage Swedish Carbon with carbon damascus clad 240mm Gyuto by Yoshikazu Tanaka
View attachment 56959

I am ashamed that the photos don't completely capture the awesomeness of the knife. I did debate on whether I should just wait for a Morihiro sharpened version, but I did not want to regret not experiencing this either.

That is very beautiful... nice pickup!

At this point are there going to be new Morihiro sharpened Fujiyamas made in the future, or are you talking about getting an old one?

I’m so jealous! Do you know if they have anymore instock? Can’t find a product page.

Looks like they don’t I’m afraid... When I checked their page shortly after I placed my order it was already removed from listing, which leads me to believe that that’s the last one they had.

It’s just a guess, but could it have been some special order made in connection with a visit by Tanaka-san to Cleancut in 2018? It would seem a great (and cheap) way to sell a few nice “souvenirs” to those attending the demo.

That is very beautiful... nice pickup!

At this point are there going to be new Morihiro sharpened Fujiyamas made in the future, or are you talking about getting an old one?

I've seen recent limited offerings from Konosuke that were sharpened by Morihiro in small batches (not sure if NOS or new new stock). Not sure what the future holds for Morihiro sharpened FM's. Omega probably knows more?

Added to Haburn family ... integral stainless chevron gyuto and a ss dammy sabaki ... family pic follows ... can't say enough about Ian, his work and just my dealings with such a talented maker ... check his IG for non-crappy pic's ... gotta go cut stuff ...

H8FP1En.jpg

Next to the non-integral I have ... stupid amazing work ...

QLDGheo.jpg

Family (has grown a bit thanks to B/S/T and Ian)

UUsLG1r.jpg

Added to Haburn family ... integral stainless chevron gyuto and a ss dammy sabaki ... family pic follows ... can't say enough about Ian, his work and just my dealings with such a talented maker ... check his IG for non-crappy pic's ... gotta go cut stuff ...

H8FP1En.jpg

QLDGheo.jpg

UUsLG1r.jpg

Wow those pictures really suck... the knives most definitely do not tho! AWESOME

Old?

Dirty?

Bastard?

I love my Tanaka Ginsan petty , I dont think theres another knife (maybe the wat nakiri) that gets such universal love from KKFers

46377680-5804-4336-9C75-A03AF180828A.jpeg

46377680-5804-4336-9C75-A03AF180828A.jpeg
2E74D370-31B0-479D-81B9-209446A16DF3.jpeg
FedEx delivered a couple of knives that I’m very impressed with. I bought two Kobayashi gyutos, a 240mm and a 210mm. Normally I lean towards forge welded knives with reactive blades. I like the thought of the knife smith forge welding blades and/or creating the layers to create a Damascus pattern. Those blades seem to becoming more and more difficult to source. At the same time I admit that stainless blades require little thought and care. Similarly the new powdered steels offer amazing performance even if they have some sharpening challenges ... which I like too. I have a Myabi Black santoku that I use every day. Similarly with a Sukenari gyuto R129DP. I like the both. The Kobayashi blades are made from SG2 powdered steel laminated in soft stainless. As interesting to me was Kobayashi’s history as a sharpener for other knife smiths. I bought the 240 Gyuto to stash away and the 210 to use in my rotation. I was not disappointed. They are both beautifully finished and sharpened ootb. The lacquered 7 sided handles are beautiful. The blade to handle fit is at least as good as knives costing several times the price. The blades are laser thin and sharp. How do they perform ... can’t say because I haven’t used the 210 but from the feel of the knife I have great expectations. Here’s a couple of pics.

Attachments

• 4CCBC47C-4CF6-4F5A-9A98-51FBACB03C8C.jpeg
    4CCBC47C-4CF6-4F5A-9A98-51FBACB03C8C.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 53

H8FP1En.jpg

QLDGheo.jpg

UUsLG1r.jpg
WOW! Some true beauts there... Have a favorite?

7BF14C0F-0418-45DF-A55A-76D858E2CF5A.jpeg
E15D0715-DE4E-48FA-BAF2-184AFFBF21AD.jpeg
F6EFD1F0-E029-4E4E-8742-2CCCEBC3FF11.jpeg
A84C4B9F-53E5-4D18-94D9-DB71C22C241A.jpeg
Doi 248mm blue #2 mirrored gyuto. As a fan of Itsuo Doi I couldn’t resist picking up another of his knives. Fully reactive blade, excellent craftsmanship, wonderful makers kanji, 62 HRC, 5050 edge. At 60zs, and 3.3mm at the base, a substantial knife yet well balanced feel. Can’t wait to test fly it. It’s in my rotation.

This one is special. I had been talking to a few people here about Hinoura Ajikataya for a couple days, as well as Christofer from Cleancut about the line he carries.

Then I saw on Instagram that Cleancut had some nice half octa half oval enju handles with double buffalo horns (like ones on some Tsukasa Hinoura and Yoshikane), so I figure I'd ask if he could put one on an Ajikataya. Lo and behold :)

kMOOz1x.jpg

8yMij71.jpg

QY7OXzz.jpg

ve4Ujly.jpg

This is the 250 gyuto, but with the machi heel to tip length is about 240mm and blade height at heel is 55mm, which I've now realized is my preference. It weighs in at 208g. Dare I say with the Enju handle this feels even more "Hinoura" than it already is ;)

I used it to make a large batch of beef bourguignon last night, and I can understand why people say white 2 feels sharper than blue 2. It flew through stuff with more ease than my Toyama 240mm stainless clad, albeit both have factory edge. I could feel a little wedging on this cutting carrots closer to the heel, though not on the Toyama. (Also, sorry I didn't see your question before @WPerry on the sanded ho wood handle. Grip hasn't been a problem at all when my hand & the handle is wet. I had to test it though, because I try to avoid it when I cook at home with no rush)

So, in conclusion.... anyone wants to buy a 240mm Gengetsu? :p

Last edited:
Thanks guys!! Bonus pics of the Enju handle - I still can't get over how fancy schmancy it is!!

nIqzl3e.jpg

CGOKXhc.jpg

bjUfEs8.jpg

f0iqtFv.jpg

If anyone in the US in on the fence about buying from Cleancut - don't be! Chris is such a pleasant guy to deal with, and I can't wait to be a repeat customer
Forgive my ignorance but what is enju? all i could find was referance to anime

Back