Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one is special. I had been talking to a few people here about Hinoura Ajikataya for a couple days, as well as Christofer from Cleancut about the line he carries.

Then I saw on Instagram that Cleancut had some nice half octa half oval enju handles with double buffalo horns (like ones on some Tsukasa Hinoura and Yoshikane), so I figure I'd ask if he could put one on an Ajikataya. Lo and behold :)

kMOOz1x.jpg

8yMij71.jpg

QY7OXzz.jpg

ve4Ujly.jpg

This is the 250 gyuto, but with the machi heel to tip length is about 240mm and blade height at heel is 55mm, which I've now realized is my preference. It weighs in at 208g. Dare I say with the Enju handle this feels even more "Hinoura" than it already is ;)

I used it to make a large batch of beef bourguignon last night, and I can understand why people say white 2 feels sharper than blue 2. It flew through stuff with more ease than my Toyama 240mm stainless clad, albeit both have factory edge. I could feel a little wedging on this cutting carrots closer to the heel, though not on the Toyama. (Also, sorry I didn't see your question before @WPerry on the sanded ho wood handle. Grip hasn't been a problem at all when my hand & the handle is wet. I had to test it though, because I try to avoid it when I cook at home with no rush)

So, in conclusion.... anyone wants to buy a 240mm Gengetsu? :p
Very nice looking knife! Great call on that handle.

This one is special. I had been talking to a few people here about Hinoura Ajikataya for a couple days, as well as Christofer from Cleancut about the line he carries.

Then I saw on Instagram that Cleancut had some nice half octa half oval enju handles with double buffalo horns (like ones on some Tsukasa Hinoura and Yoshikane), so I figure I'd ask if he could put one on an Ajikataya. Lo and behold

This is the 250 gyuto, but with the machi heel to tip length is about 240mm and blade height at heel is 55mm, which I've now realized is my preference. It weighs in at 208g. Dare I say with the Enju handle this feels even more "Hinoura" than it already is ;)

I used it to make a large batch of beef bourguignon last night, and I can understand why people say white 2 feels sharper than blue 2. It flew through stuff with more ease than my Toyama 240mm stainless clad, albeit both have factory edge. I could feel a little wedging on this cutting carrots closer to the heel, though not on the Toyama. (Also, sorry I didn't see your question before @WPerry on the sanded ho wood handle. Grip hasn't been a problem at all when my hand & the handle is wet. I had to test it though, because I try to avoid it when I cook at home with no rush)

So, in conclusion.... anyone wants to buy a 240mm Gengetsu? :p

Fantastic! Enjoy!

Knives from Canada, Aye?

North Arm, made in BC. An Alder 8" chef knife and Trilium 3.5" parer. CPM S35VN, maker claims 59 - 61 RHC

These are no frills tools, not art. I thought the handles were a bit wonky, too thin on bottoms when I first picked them up, a little use showed this not to be so.

Quite decent, from the road test I gave these two today. Trimmed the meats in the "Briskit Virgin" thread, made a gallon of salsa, did a few other odd jobs.

20190723_171029.jpg

20190723_171438.jpg

A laser by any other name ..... a couple of weeks ago I took delivery of two Koybayashi gyutos. A 210mm and a 240mm. I love them! Laser sharp. Beautifully ground, sharpened and finished. I couldn’t resist ordering up his 270 sujihiki. This is a beautifully made, reasonably priced knife. Light, laser sharp and a wonderful fit to hand. I have a brisket in the smoker and will test fly this sujihiki tonight. I am normally not particularly interested in a non reactive blades. I do appreciate beautifully crafted knives and this Koybayashi certainly qualifies in that respect.

418BA08D-39CB-403D-BB63-0338B4A6BC0A.jpeg
C1E9D92A-924B-423D-A0B2-1DD1B45CB7DE.jpeg
B93F627D-8380-478E-8D00-07253B28A40E.jpeg
3B6D811B-ACAA-43BD-AF9F-0F19053A647B.jpeg

A laser by any other name ..... a couple of weeks ago I took delivery of two Koybayashi gyutos. A 210mm and a 240mm. I love them! Laser sharp. Beautifully ground, sharpened and finished. I couldn’t resist ordering up his 270 sujihiki. This is a beautifully made, reasonably priced knife. Light, laser sharp and a wonderful fit to hand. I have a brisket in the smoker and will test fly this sujihiki tonight. I am normally not particularly interested in a non reactive blades. I do appreciate beautifully crafted knives and this Koybayashi certainly qualifies in that respect.

View attachment 57383 View attachment 57384 View attachment 57385 View attachment 57386

Beauty Brian - curious as to how much/little flex in the blade? Thx for sharing ...

Hi M...boy ... good question. I wondered that myself. Here’s a pic of my new Koybayashi against my Mizuno Hontanren. The Mizuno has been my rotation sujihiki for the past four months. It costs almost twice as much as the Koybayashi and is a conventional blue #2/soft iron lamination. It is a beautiful knife and slices wonderfully. I tried putting as much side force on each blade using my left hand. I could not detect a difference in deflection between the two blades. I used both blades to thin slice a brisket that I smoked. Again I really couldn’t detect a difference between the two blades. The Koybayashi is thinner but has a deeper blade. The Mizuno is slightly thicker but has a more shallow blade. The result is “a draw” on my non scientific slicing test. Mizuno is a 63 year old Sakai master. Koybayashi is a much younger Takefu journeyman. The Mizuno is hand forged. The Koybayashi is probably “forged” from laminate. My sentimental favourite always will be the Mizuno, but there is no arguing that the Koybayashi is a seriously good example of the blade smiths art. ... at half the price.

3B445E8D-D4D9-41E9-B96C-D9E231E0159F.jpeg

My last knife purchase was a Kawamura San (Yoshimune) 240-245mm Gyuto I’m not sure the exact length. San mai white #2 with stainless clad. Doesn’t look like others as I have hand sanded and polished it. Also with an ebony and buffalo handle with a silver spacer.

Attachments

• B0F1FFE7-D806-4395-BA9B-C5879ED2D0B9.jpeg
    B0F1FFE7-D806-4395-BA9B-C5879ED2D0B9.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,072
  • 8DD6C86E-FF36-4C46-A415-E07B3A0E688E.jpeg
    8DD6C86E-FF36-4C46-A415-E07B3A0E688E.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 236
  • 218903CA-6016-4A70-8BA3-2555B75CDEF1.jpeg
    218903CA-6016-4A70-8BA3-2555B75CDEF1.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 231
That is absolutely correct! Early batch JNS, called the ’bullnose’. Btw was ’bullnose’ an official name of any kind, or was it a name given to the model by KKF members here?

Not really. It’s something I threw out there to describe the old ones. Clearly it’s caught on[emoji12].

Back