Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a several zwilling, Fiskars, hackmann knives that get used daily, mostly by the kids and they get thrown in to dishwasher too :)they are great care free tools. Easy to sharpeng with cheap old stone and some honing and they are good to go. Those are the knives that are on the display at my kitchen :)

I have a several zwilling, Fiskars, hackmann knives that get used daily, mostly by the kids and they get thrown in to dishwasher too :)
There is something to be said for German soft steel knives. For one, when I do something that might be marginal with a harder steel knife (such as cutting semi-frozen food, or bearing down on something really hard, such as biltong with hard spices on it), I don't have to worry about breaking a big chunk out of the blade. And I can hand a Wüsthof to a guest who wants to help in the kitchen without having to worry about what on earth might happen to it…

I have Wüsthofs that have been through the dishwasher hundreds of times. No damage to blade or handle. Eventually, the dishwashing detergent eats away at the rivets so they "sink" a little and are no longer perfectly flush with the scales. (That was the point at which I stopped putting mine into the dishwasher.) I believe that, a few years ago, Wüsthof changed the alloy for the rivets, so they stand up to dishwasher abuse a bit better.

It is not a plan to put them in dishwasher but you know kids :).

Just found this on the Wüsthof website:

"Technically, all WÜSTHOF knives are suitable for cleaning in the dishwasher (except knives with wooden handles). However, we recommend that you do not put your knives in the dishwasher."

They recommend not to do it anyway not so much because of what the dishwasher might do to the knives, but what the knives might do to the dishwasher.

Another “escapee” from Barmoley Keep! This time it’s a Xerxes 240 gyuto. Barmoley said that I wouldn’t believe how little sticking was involved when slicing potatoes with this knife. So in line with my policy of showing my new knives in action I did up some French fries. To add to the exotic I decided to try a reverse sear steak as well. After all it’s Sunday and what better Sunday breakfast can you have than steak and fries. Yum!

7D4B5DEC-D0B2-4317-B5F8-FF82DEEF9516.jpeg
E4E7E5BD-2BD1-40DD-865C-1718D6A277B4.jpeg
EB8B12D8-1E09-4BD9-801C-DC36E220DC8D.jpeg
5FE4795C-6F3D-4648-B743-613E18614BC6.jpeg
0E2C4864-5E1B-4164-979D-9F9EFA615DD3.jpeg

Another “escapee” from Barmoley Keep! This time it’s a Xerxes 240 gyuto. Barmoley said that I wouldn’t believe how little sticking was involved when slicing potatoes with this knife. So in line with my policy of showing my new knives in action I did up some French fries. To add to the exotic I decided to try a reverse sear steak as well. After all it’s Sunday and what better Sunday breakfast can you have than steak and fries. Yum!

View attachment 64034 View attachment 64035 View attachment 64036 View attachment 64037 View attachment 64038
This is a cool post. Drool worthy knife!

The knife is truly amazing. It dropped through the potatoes without a trace of sticking. I couldn’t believe it! No slice ... pry the potatoes off the blade .... slice .... pry again .... slice ... pry! Where did I put that $14.95 Ktel potato slicer????

Also the “dry brined” reverse seared steak was “legend”! 71 years old and I learned two new tricks in one day!

This is not my newest knife buy. @Barmoley was kind enough to buy a 240mm Wakui V2 and let me play with it first, given that I write some sort of review for it, and compare it to my lovely 225mm Kochi V2, so here goes:

kztoQ2i.jpg

Measurements:
Weight: Wakui 172g; Kochi 173g
Edge length: Wakui ~241.5mm; Kochi ~225.5mm
Heel height: Wakui ~47.5mm; Kochi ~51.4mm

Out of the box edge is pretty nice - perhaps a bit too refined for my taste. I think it would benefit from a tad more bite.

Distal taper - here's a picture. I don't really know much about taper, so I can't really compare them. I have a digital caliper, but it never feels right pressing on a knife's sides just to measure it and risk scratching it. But the tip of the Wakui is nice and thin.
TQWEDUb.jpg

Choil (Kochi left, Wakui right)
2zRp7AB.jpg

RfCTRQ1.jpg

30fFuE5.jpg

Profile: Kochi is a tad taller
UGuDzgB.jpg

Fit & Finish:
The finish of the blade is really nice. The hagane has a semi-mirror polish - I could almost see my reflection taking pictures of it.

I got my Kochi used (probably less than 5 times), but I don't remenber it having an edge that looked this polish.

The Kochi has seen the Gesshin Jinzo Aoto a couple times, so it has a really dark finish.

TnYNCKk.jpg

KU: you can probably see this. Wakui and Kochi do not have the same KU finish. If anything, I think it looks closer than the KU finish on my Mazaki (Maz, Wakui, Kochi)

vw9pdL7.jpg

Handle: The Wakui's oval handle is about the same length as the Kochi's octagonal handle, perhaps Wakui is a 1mm shorter. To be honest, I prefer the finish of the Kochi handle. I feel like the Wakui handle could use a tad more burning.

HYGtB9x.jpg

SW1EZb7.jpg

Everyone go thank Barmoley for sponsoring this post :D (and I volunteer to do more posts like this in the future so please send me your knives)

Last edited:
I kinda have it but i'm holding on to it for now until i see a good flipping window appear so i can double the money.

I have a several zwilling, Fiskars, hackmann knives that get used daily, mostly by the kids and they get thrown in to dishwasher too :)they are great care free tools. Easy to sharpeng with cheap old stone and some honing and they are good to go. Those are the knives that are on the display at my kitchen :)

I have a similar strategy. The higher range of Zwilling in a knife block. Okay when wife leaves them in the sink or when someone comes over and wants to help. They can rock and lean on the edge all day.

View attachment 64034 View attachment 64035 View attachment 64036 View attachment 64037 View attachment 64038

Had I known Barmoley had this Xerxes I would have been all beggy beggy for it. I recall first seeing it on IG and falling in knife-love. I have severe knife envy now

I felt very lucky to get it from Barmoley. For me it’s about as close to being the perfect knife as possible. The best part is that I can’t wait to be able to use it next. With the taper and tip it’s definitely a “first glass of wine” knife. I don’t think I would ever recover if I tipped it!

Thanks for your words. My biggest worry is that makers like Xerxes may be becoming a rare breed. It’s a tough way to make a living!

Back