Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a lovely looking blade! I have a Xerxes Primus and while I wouldn't say the tip is "too thin", it is EXTREMELY thin and I know one day I'm going to snap it off due to a mistake. Until that day, though, it'll be my go-to onion slayer.
Seriously be careful with it. Mine came off doing normal work

This is a monster. Like a really big monster. Like 460 grams o monster. 275mmx70mm. Dammy integral presentation grade Koa by David Lisch. Needs some thinning behind the edge that I will probably have someone more competent than myself complete, then am going to see how she cuts. Looks like a nice grind when the reflection sort of gives away (back cut). Maybe I should use it on Brian's pork belly recipe...
View attachment 65205 View attachment 65206 View attachment 65207 View attachment 65208
Had a chance to use this bad boy yet?

85-E131-CF-9-C93-495-B-AAE4-1-AAED44-D49-DD.jpg

Yoshikazu Tanaka 200mm ktip gyuto in white#2. ”Little” helper in line work.

Had a chance to use this bad boy yet?
Thanks for asking. I have, actually. And I would say while the size and weight are manageable, it is not the best cutter - too thick behind the edge. Steel is amazing, but that alone can't make up for thickness behind the edge. I am glad I used it a bit before deciding to thin it. But it definitely needs thinning. My goal is going to be (either myself or someone else) to take 100 grams off of it. I know that is a lot, but I think it is possible particularly when you include the fact that I'll make the handle smaller as well. There is a lot to work with. Maybe at the end I'll be at 325-350 grams and the knife will be 260x65 instead? TBD...

Thanks for asking. I have, actually. And I would say while the size and weight are manageable, it is not the best cutter - too thick behind the edge. Steel is amazing, but that alone can't make up for thickness behind the edge. I am glad I used it a bit before deciding to thin it. But it definitely needs thinning. My goal is going to be (either myself or someone else) to take 100 grams off of it. I know that is a lot, but I think it is possible particularly when you include the fact that I'll make the handle smaller as well. There is a lot to work with. Maybe at the end I'll be at 325-350 grams and the knife will be 260x65 instead? TBD...
Sounds like it's going to be a while new deal when it's all over. I'll look forward to seeing the end product.

How are the knives as cutters?
I bought one six months ago, 260x58, medium grind with a lot of convex. I liked it so much I offered up as a pass around for a group of guys I chat knives with, they all liked it too, two of them wanted to buy it. I buy multiples when I like a knife.. I have multiple Kippingtons, Raquins, Katos and now Black Lotus, his knives are that good in my opinion.

85-E131-CF-9-C93-495-B-AAE4-1-AAED44-D49-DD.jpg

Yoshikazu Tanaka 200mm ktip gyuto in white#2. ”Little” helper in line work.
Looks beautiful
I’d love to hear your thoughts regarding profile grind steel and or see more pics (choil shot on Miuras site is pretty crap); I’ve been on the fence about one of these for months

I bought one six months ago, 260x58, medium grind with a lot of convex. I liked it so much I offered up as a pass around for a group of guys I chat knives with, they all liked it too, two of them wanted to buy it. I buy multiples when I like a knife.. I have multiple Kippingtons, Raquins, Katos and now Black Lotus, his knives are that good in my opinion.
Damn, sounds like a graduation present for myself in a couple years.
Kippington is also on my list. I've got a buying freeze until I find funding though.

Any family photos with current favorites?

Damn, sounds like a graduation present for myself in a couple years.
Kippington is also on my list. I've got a buying freeze until I find funding though.

Any family photos with current favorites?

I’m sure in hawaii on business, I’ll send you a PM when I get home, keep the thread on track. My Kippingtons are some favs for sure, I have the fishhook and one of his Honyaki blades, pure joy!

Last edited:
232 x 53 x 5.15 blade by Hunter Valley Blades.

There’s a term, KT (kitchen tractor) that I’m quite fond of. But coming from a farming background, tractors only Pull the tools. They are more so the hand and the arm rather than the tool. When I first put my HVB to work it just clicked with me, this is a KP (Kitchen PLOW). It’ll plow through anything with serious grace. You don’t beat up a tractor, gosh no. But the plow it pulls, that sucker gets beat the F up.

And big kudos to Rodriguez Butcher Supply for such fast shipping and (as always) great service.

Attachments

• E2B4CEBD-5A4F-4EC9-A458-C4757968AACD.jpeg
    E2B4CEBD-5A4F-4EC9-A458-C4757968AACD.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 5376F215-30D5-45C1-96A9-40FC80D387A3.jpeg
    5376F215-30D5-45C1-96A9-40FC80D387A3.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 163
  • AF0CA4C0-F4E7-4B21-8984-DB8857B00021.jpeg
    AF0CA4C0-F4E7-4B21-8984-DB8857B00021.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 171
  • 39C338A2-DBB1-43C6-9943-84A251EC8C20.jpeg
    39C338A2-DBB1-43C6-9943-84A251EC8C20.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 173
  • B3ADBDA0-A538-4BBE-947E-BB6D1C982A9B.jpeg
    B3ADBDA0-A538-4BBE-947E-BB6D1C982A9B.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 302A932C-8CDD-445D-B735-DA9BBB02226F.jpeg
    302A932C-8CDD-445D-B735-DA9BBB02226F.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
232 x 53 x 5.15 blade by Hunter Valley Blades.

There’s a term, KT (kitchen tractor) that I’m quite fond of. But coming from a farming background, tractors only Pull the tools. They are more so the hand and the arm rather than the tool. When I first put my HVB to work it just clicked with me, this is a KP (Kitchen PLOW). It’ll plow through anything with serious grace. You don’t beat up a tractor, gosh no. But the plow it pulls, that sucker gets beat the F up.

I have the similar feedback, KP fits spot on. By the way, you have real good photos.

Newest and first J-knife.
JCK Nature's Deep Impact 210mm gyuto.
AS core, stainless clad.

I was keen to use it ASAP, so while the wife was cutting up some veggies for her work lunches I grabbed two capsicums and helped her out. Oh my this thing is sharp! I've got some pretty good edges on my Mundial knives before with an edgepro kit, but this was just on another level again. Effortless, really just no pressure required to glide through the capsicum. Loved it.

I assume the darkening is just the patina forming (2 capsicums and a chicken breast). There are some lighter areas, as shown below, which are more brown than blue at the moment. They shouldn't be rust - I washed and dried the knife thoroughly within minutes after use (would have been 5 minutes, tops).

Just how precious do I need to be about cleaning the knife after use - 5mins, 10mins, 30mins?
Any foods I need to avoid or everything is fair game (obviously tough tasks like pineapple, frozen goods, boning work are not for this knife).

I wouldn't mind softening the edges of the choil? and possibly even the very tip of the heel, but not sure how to safely go about it.

kzzOPd7.jpg

TJ4J0uF.jpg

nQCvj1Y.jpg

Uyszb1H.jpg

iaIoFA5.jpg

IzdH5PB.jpg

Zxjpw1k.jpg

This isn’t quite a complete knife yet but it’s close! Here’s my Black Lotus just before the handle gets glued up. It’s a big feather Damascus 275x57 with gidgee handle and saya. Can’t wait to get my hands on this one! I’ll post more pics when I get it :):):)

62FCA454-F131-4494-8058-8AC867FB1BBD.jpeg
9C71ACD7-67D3-4BD9-A4B8-E7D1265F324E.jpeg

AS core, stainless clad.

I was keen to use it ASAP, so while the wife was cutting up some veggies for her work lunches I grabbed two capsicums and helped her out. Oh my this thing is sharp! I've got some pretty good edges on my Mundial knives before with an edgepro kit, but this was just on another level again. Effortless, really just no pressure required to glide through the capsicum. Loved it.

I assume the darkening is just the patina forming (2 capsicums and a chicken breast). There are some lighter areas, as shown below, which are more brown than blue at the moment. They shouldn't be rust - I washed and dried the knife thoroughly within minutes after use (would have been 5 minutes, tops).

Just how precious do I need to be about cleaning the knife after use - 5mins, 10mins, 30mins?
Any foods I need to avoid or everything is fair game (obviously tough tasks like pineapple, frozen goods, boning work are not for this knife).

I wouldn't mind softening the edges of the choil? and possibly even the very tip of the heel, but not sure how to safely go about it.

kzzOPd7.jpg

TJ4J0uF.jpg

nQCvj1Y.jpg

Uyszb1H.jpg

iaIoFA5.jpg

IzdH5PB.jpg

Zxjpw1k.jpg
Nothing more obsessive than your current cleaning regimen will be needed. Congratulations on the knife, a fine choice. Basically if you find a sharp edge you don't like, sand it. The "shoeshine" motion with a strip of a medium grit sandpaper, 320-400 grit, is effective. Just work safe and secure your knife.

This isn’t quite a complete knife yet but it’s close! Here’s my Black Lotus just before the handle gets glued up. It’s a big feather Damascus 275x57 with gidgee handle and saya. Can’t wait to get my hands on this one! I’ll post more pics when I get it :):):)

View attachment 66495 View attachment 66496

What a beaut!

Mind me asking, is the blade truly black? If so, anyone know how that is achieved?

Yeah. It’s etched in a few different acid solutions I believe to get that black look. Looks pretty crazy

AS core, stainless clad.

kzzOPd7.jpg

TJ4J0uF.jpg

nQCvj1Y.jpg

Uyszb1H.jpg

iaIoFA5.jpg

IzdH5PB.jpg

Zxjpw1k.jpg
Welcome to the addiction.
I would add that something to back the sandpaper will save your hand wear and tear. Also, metal files are almost useless on steel this hard. Sandpaper or cheap waster stones are the way to go.

View attachment 66495 View attachment 66496
Wow that looks awesome. I am becoming slightly obsessed with Black Lotus!

Back