Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first post to this forum in years was asking for advice on a purchase. With the tremendous amount of feedback, I was able to narrow down my choice to the Sukenari 240 in SG2. James at KandS was absolutely amazing in helping me get this for my xmas gift from my wife.

I feel the handle is stunning in the snakewood, and James again was to thank for that. It is currently at Strata getting a screaming edge, and I can pick it back up tomorrow. French onion soup this weekend!!!

View media item 31518View media item 31517

Picked up two more knives. Safe to say I have a small collection at this point. Toyama Noborikoi Stainless Clad 240 mm gyuto and Ishikawa 165 mm nakiri. I haven't used the Toyama yet, but I can tell I am going to like it. The Ishikawa has an interesting single-bevel S-grind, and there is an interesting story about the blacksmith. Excited to try these out.

IMG_0400.JPG
IMG_0402.jpg

Ishikawa nakiri choil shot (a little off center)

Nice! Is that the one that’s more or less the same as a TF Nashiji? Looks great! How’s the grind on the one you got?
I can't comment on how similar this knife is to other TFs (this is my first), but I can tell you that the grind is quite even (no noticable over-grinds). It looks like it was ground on a rough belt grinder, then the edge put on by hand on finer stones. Definitely worth the $88 (in fact, I'm buying another)!

I have this setup except for the Nashiji/KU... Your pics make me want to buy the Nashiji version too... So, if anyone wishes to sell his 240 gyuto and 180 petty, send me a PM!
I like both the kasumi and KU looks, but the KU finish feels slighty better in hand IMO.

3B5D0FE3-DB1A-4276-B072-460FEE289AF3.jpeg
After several years of striking out in the Bloodroot lottery, finally came up on one. 4.5 inch Damascus paring.
Blade: 15n20 & 52100 @HRC 65.

Handle: Blackwood faceplate, chestnut burl handle with turquoise inlay.

Notes: 62g. 26mm deep.

Sources: Blackwood - castoff, clarinet factory, Paris.
Chestnut burl - Balsam Design Company, Black Mountain, NC.

I have this setup except for the Nashiji/KU... Your pics make me want to buy the Nashiji version too... So, if anyone wishes to sell his 240 gyuto and 180 petty, send me a PM!

For what it's worth, I think the recent Yoshihiro restock of the nashiji version is the same as CKC and they have some 240 in stock

@labor of love Thanks for the recommendation on what to get! :D

Just got my new Mazaki knife from CleanCut! Seeing a knife of this size on a picture is nothing in compared to seeing it in person, Im kinda glad I didnt got for a 270mm now ;)

Sorry for the blurry pictures, this lighting really messes with my auto focus on the phone >.>

P.S. If anyone has any tips on how to polish this thing, gimme some help cause I have no idea how without scratching the "Hira/Tsura" and also without distorting the shinogi line:confused:

Attachments

• 20200113_165342[1].jpg
    20200113_165342[1].jpg
    79 KB · Views: 156
  • 20200113_165956[1].jpg
    20200113_165956[1].jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 20200113_170227[1].jpg
    20200113_170227[1].jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 20200113_170329[1].jpg
    20200113_170329[1].jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 20200113_170346[1].jpg
    20200113_170346[1].jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 154
  • 20200113_170402[1].jpg
    20200113_170402[1].jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
@labor of love Thanks for the recommendation on what to get! :D

Just got my new Mazaki knife from CleanCut! Seeing a knife of this size on a picture is nothing in compared to seeing it in person, Im kinda glad I didnt got for a 270mm now ;)

Sorry for the blurry pictures, this lighting really messes with my auto focus on the phone >.>

P.S. If anyone has any tips on how to polish this thing, gimme some help cause I have no idea how without scratching the "Hira/Tsura" and also without distorting the shinogi line:confused:

I don’t own one at the moment, but I don’t think your Mazaki is a wide bevel, despite the appearance. If I remember correctly, the “shinogi” is fake. Can you actually feel it with your finger as you run your hand along the knife? If not, they may make it by just polishing most of the knife and then taping off the blade road and polishing the top separately. You could do this with sandpaper and I think the top part would look not so different from what it looks like now. Someone tell me if I’m wrong, though.

@ian It is a fake shinogi line for sure, and Im on the fence on whether to straight up remove it since it seems like kind of a pain to maintain. The knife already came with a few questionable spots in the fake shinogi ;)

I watched the video from KnS titled, "The Ultimate Yanagiba Polishing" and I know I cant get close to the result the polisher managed but Id love to know the last few tools he used to get the mirror polish on the Hira/Tsura in the video. Watching the video slowed down I think its a stick with some sandpaper like you recommended, so perhaps I'll give that a shot unless enlightened otherwise :D

@ian It is a fake shinogi line for sure, and Im on the fence on whether to straight up remove it since it seems like kind of a pain to maintain. The knife already came with a few questionable spots in the fake shinogi ;)

I watched the video from KnS titled, "The Ultimate Yanagiba Polishing" and I know I cant get close to the result the polisher managed but Id love to know the last few tools he used to get the mirror polish on the Hira/Tsura in the video. Watching the video slowed down I think its a stick with some sandpaper like you recommended, so perhaps I'll give that a shot unless enlightened otherwise :D

It’s not such a big deal to maintain. If you end up scratching up the blade during thinning, you can tape it off yourself and sandpaper the top. I did that with a fake shinogi knife I currently have and it looks just fine. Getting a highly refined look (mirror polished top part + beautiful kasumi blade road) is going to be hard without an actual shinogi line though, imo.

In my experience, the Mazaki "shinogi" is not quite fake, but not quite real either. The grind ends where the shinogi line is, but the shoulders are rounded so you don't get that crisp shinogi line like on a real wide bevel.

The first thing I did with my last Mazaki was to sand the whole knife to even the scratch pattern (I thought the fake-ish shinogi was silly looking). I think I started at 220-400-600-800. That progression will not get you to a mirror finish, but in my opinion it's a nice place to start. I use wet sandpaper strips that I wrap around an eraser. (Eraser is probably 1cm x 2cm x 3.5cm).

Back