Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two new pickups from BST. Both original profile Mazakis. 210 from JNS and 240 from ToGo. I already had both of these knives in later profiles from Clean-cut but I wanted to try these originals. The 240 reminds me a lot of my Toyama 240.

View attachment 74335
Out of curiosity, if you have some spare time, do you mind tracing some of the profiles you mentioned on a piece of paper ? I'd love to see how similar/ different they are

@CiderBear Sure. I can do that with the 210s. I don't own the 240 CC any more, so I cant help there.

Here is a shot with the 240 Togo original profile, JNS original profile, and Clean-cut from mid year to fall of 2018 which had a slightly more traditional pointy profile.

IMG_9525.jpg

It looks like Mazaki increased the size of his Kanji after his early knives.

And a tracing of the two 210s:

IMG_9526.jpg

The Mazaki is taller and the Kato is flatter before curving up to the point. Here is a picture of a recent Kato 210 WH from JNS:

Cousins, but not brothers.

IMG_9477.jpg

@CiderBear Sure. I can do that with the 210s. I don't own the 240 CC any more, so I cant help there.

Here is a shot with the 240 Togo original profile, JNS original profile, and Clean-cut from mid year to fall of 2018 which had a slightly more traditional pointy profile.

View attachment 74352

View attachment 74353

Woah, that is super fast and helpful . Thank you so much .

How does the 240 Togo and 240 Toyama compare ?

The 240 ToGo is a new addition so I'll have to check back after I've used it for a few weeks. It looks and feels very similar, the Toyama having even more of a santoku-ish profile near the tip.

View attachment 74352

View attachment 74353
hilarious that the togo one had the best profile

First time directly purchased yes. 54 mm height and 262 grams weight. Very Happy![emoji16]
Congrats! That’s a perfect looking TF Denka. Did you have to manage the purchase closely via email with Goku/Syutaro to ensure you got such a great piece?

Meet did a nice looking one in 52100 last year, can see on his Instagram. Edited to add: Go to 8 February 2019 for the Instagram post. He may have discussed it with Burke, but hopefully @chefcomesback will chime in personally about it? It's very impressive whoever gets a nice hamon in 52100!

That Burke is a beauty!

Bill does bis differentially heat treated 52100 with torch ( so does his friend Erik )
Mine was clay quenched, the challenge came from a knife maker friend saying that you couldn’t get a hamon on 52100 even if you tried .
So I decided to make a true honyaki in 52100 , had a good hamon and activity. It was based off my experiments with different clays and heat treatment, made couple more but haven’t finished any since then

How do those perform? I’ve seen his work on Instagram for the last year or so, kinda skeptical but I’m always down to be proven wrong.

He's new maker and I've been watching him improve for some time. His work now compared to a year ago is night and day. In terms of performance, they're great, but they arn't as well rounded as some might want. I find his edge design to be stellar-- the curve of the edge is so natural and lends itself to the knife work I typically find myself doing. I find knives built for just rocking or other knifes with large flat bellies to be maddening. For the knives themselves, max's strength is definitely his grinds. The suji that I just got in particular is spectacularly ground. Fit and finish is good-- some minor imperfections. I personally enjoy the human touches. Balance point of the blade is right at the pinch. His handles are also something I enjoy immensely. They're quite a bit longer (and slightly slender), and it sits nicely against the forearm for some added sturdiness that really make the knife feel like an extension of your hand. They're a joy to sharpen as well, but I can only speak for his dama steel and copper san mai. I've not experienced his 52100 or aebl work.

One drawback that some might find is that there really isn't any distill taper to speak of. Of course many famous knife makers have pretty much nill as well (yoshikazu ikeda comes to mind). That of course means the knives in general lean to preform better in some tasks while fall short in others. Generally speaking, anything you're cutting that is no more than 3/4th the height of the knife it excels at-- taller items you will see a touch more wedging. I will definitely be watching him closely as time goes on.

He's also really nice :)

you got this one? its just like the one i picked up last month. so sweet, put that in the carrot test challenge~!

Can’t wait to get it. I have always thought his Nakiri was the best looking one out there. I never thought I would get the chance to pick one up. They seem to be super popular. I’m stoked.

Just curious if any of the Dalman warikomis have landed yet?
Mine entered the postal system in Sweden but shows no progress. The notices on the Postal site point to a lack of air capacity with the world issues so letters and parcels may be going by sea or land so in my case a ship it is. It will show in due course so in the meantime I hope everyone stays well.

Mine entered the postal system in Sweden but shows no progress. The notices on the Postal site point to a lack of air capacity with the world issues so letters and parcels may be going by sea or land so in my case a ship it is. It will show in due course so in the meantime I hope everyone stays well.

Enter the tracking number on your postal system, it may show up. Depends on how far a long it actually is.

Bill does bis differentially heat treated 52100 with torch ( so does his friend Erik )
Mine was clay quenched, the challenge came from a knife maker friend saying that you couldn’t get a hamon on 52100 even if you tried .
So I decided to make a true honyaki in 52100 , had a good hamon and activity. It was based off my experiments with different clays and heat treatment, made couple more but haven’t finished any since then

I need to see these stat

as i previously posted in Kanji ID thread,

MR2soxk.jpg

My first Yanagiba, 270mm White #2, based on the seller said it's made by Shiraki (Hamono? not sure if it's Nakagawa or Kenichi himself) and Sharpen by MoriHiro Hamono.

I'm very happy with the fit, finish and grind.

The actual maker of Shiraki’s knives seems a bit of a problem. I love Shiraki’s knives but place each of them I own in one of three categories. The first category is that of a knife that was purchased directly from Shiraki himself by a friend that I trust with assurances the he (Shiraki) personally forged the blade. The second is a knife purchased from a reputable dealer with an assurance that the knife was made personally by Shiraki. The third and last category is a knife that I purchased from a previous owner with the previous owners assurance that he believes it to be a blade forged by Shiraki. It would be nice were it possible to know determinatives whether a knife was forged by Shiraki himself or by another knife smith at the Shiraki Hamano. There doesn’t seem to be any clear way of determining provenance from the appearance of the knife alone.

I was in the process of trying to refine a dish and had the opportunity to do a lot of vegetable chopping. Normally I would reach for a knife which is new to my permanent block, namely a Catcheside nakiri. A while back I came to own a Catcheside Gyuto which I acquired curtesy of Barmoley. As Catcheside describes his steel ,,, “San mai - I use the excellent carbon steel 1.2442, This steel is a bit like a love child between Blue 1 and Super Blue - It is a very high carbon.” The knife is visually very attractive. 237mm x 53mm x 4mm. 233gms. Here’s a few pics of the knife ...

DEDBF181-CB70-4136-90B9-9F3B96FF8E90.jpeg
B6288D57-ECAF-493E-B21A-344ADF43DEA3.jpeg
742DE930-A2F4-421B-91E2-9DC31263D3CC.jpeg

Here’s a few pics of the vege’s and the chop-a-thon that I embarked upon with the Catcheside.

6769F6AB-0BFF-42B6-A08B-E220B53DFF09.jpeg
8CF84238-53ED-4BBC-A1EC-521C0D2F21D5.jpeg
FF230F8E-5E55-4B16-AA2F-83F101D9FB24.jpeg
58857502-D2C8-4B7B-8C78-E93E745C43B8.jpeg

Finally a pic of the dish I was trying to perfect. I think I’m going to call it my Shelter In Place Vege Casserole.

49CDC112-0AFE-4428-883A-FDC36FB65F2B.jpeg

Last pic ... an “after the chopping” pic to show the great patina starting to develop.

40A1CDC3-7885-4373-B4A5-EFCE4FDCF3E2.jpeg

I have to say that this Catchside is a fearsome cutting machine. It’s slightly blade heavy in a pitch grip which I like. Suitably thin at the tip and substantial at the belly. It literally dropped through the russet potato with virtually no stiction after the blade got wet. Similarly with the big sweet potato. Fine slicing the garlic was a joy at the tip. Just the right amount of bite in the edge made slicing and chopping the pepper childs play. Ditto slicing the sweet onion.

It’s substantial and beautifully made. Excellent f&f. It’s only equal in chopping vegetables seems to be Catcheside’s own nakiri, which I absolutely love. While towards the expensive side of daily user category of kitchen knives it’s certainly in the running to win the “if I could only have one Gyuto contest”. A beautiful knife and a treat to own. Thanks Barmoley!

Back