Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
which steel did you get? what do you think of the handle?
Blue 1. Just touched it up w gesh 2k>aizu. Steel is very nice.
I like the handle, might be slightly on the small side depending on one’s preferences. But it looks good and feels good.
Look at all this exposed core steel. Very thin at the edge.
4F09C2CE-17B6-477A-A31E-23FFA69ED020.jpeg

Blue 1. Just touched it up w gesh 2k>aizu. Steel is very nice.
I like the handle, might be slightly on the small side depending on one’s preferences. But it looks good and feels good.
Look at all this exposed core steel. Very thin at the edge.
View attachment 81115

Yum. So the handle’s not too slick? I admit that’s one of the reasons I haven’t bought a Kagekiyo by now. May have to reassess. My bank account does not appreciate this.

I also notice that the current batch of Blue 1 knives seem taller than I expected/remember, eg the 240’s at 50mm. They also have this slight backsweep to the heel that just came into some of the Tanaka knives that Strata carries. Wonder if this is all new for the Kagekiyos, or if I’m just misremembering.

Yum. So the handle’s not too slick? I admit that’s one of the reasons I haven’t bought a Kagekiyo by now. May have to reassess. My bank account does not appreciate this.

I also notice that the current batch of Blue 1 knives seem taller than I expected/remember, eg the 240’s at 50mm. They also have this slight backsweep to the heel that just came into some of the Tanaka knives that Strata carries. Wonder if this is all new for the Kagekiyos, or if I’m just misremembering.
The handle is very smooth. I’ll be using it this evening at work to get a better feel for it. The way the spine is shaped is cool too.
46577EBB-870A-472F-ABDC-937F123A1539.jpeg
96B2820E-CB38-45A8-B5B9-A8158C7FC572.jpeg
22F98E27-F9CA-498F-8F07-C33314F860C2.jpeg
D296E53F-5639-4592-AA97-A9CBF76F66B7.jpeg

The profile is so nice on this denka. View attachment 81157
Feels good to have a fat spine. Cuts like a wide bevel with tall shinogi and rounded shoulders. I'm going to add some.convexity cause I prefer asymmetric.

Came with a belt edge but sharp and toothy. Will put a gesh 4k edge on it tomorrow.

when I got my first mab the edge looked and felt over polished. It also looked like a sloppy job on the stones or whatever they were using. Gotta say though it stuck right in the my thumb nail and ending up being pretty damn sharp. I remember using it at work on and off for a couple weeks before putting a fresh edge on it. Looks good man

Feels good to have a fat spine. Cuts like a wide bevel with tall shinogi and rounded shoulders. I'm going to add some.convexity cause I prefer asymmetric.

Came with a belt edge but sharp and toothy. Will put a gesh 4k edge on it tomorrow.
Gesshin 4K gets a really nice toothy edge on these TF's. Plus it will fix the inevitable microchipping the rough factory finish encourages.
Lets see the choil, DT and full profile on this custom beauty.

Burgers?

Gesshin 4K gets a really nice toothy edge on these TF's. Plus it will fix the inevitable microchipping the rough factory finish encourages.
Lets see the choil, DT and full profile on this custom beauty.
i thought my gesh 4k would be here by today, i didnt look at the tracking, due in tomorrow so i wont hit it on stones til friday.

Well, today was just a really good day. Four new arrivals:
1. Watanabe custom - Blue 2, soft iron cladding, 250x60mm; no handle specified, going to get it thinner then put a nice handle on it. Includes the worlds longest tang free of charge.
2. Kemadi cleaver (thanks @bruce8088) with Bulat, ironwood handle, and saya; I understand it to be the first cleaver made my Kemadi, cool.
3. Raquin 215mm with a really small handle of old micarta (thanks @bryan03!); it's his KT grind, and the knife weighs in at a whopping 240 grams, neutral balance point due to heavier than normal handle. Gorgeous.
4. For the tactical crowd, a Microtech Troodon Carbon. XHP steel, double edge. Sweet EDC.

Time to get cutting.
IMG_2630.jpg

I really like that custom Wat, the profile and heel height look like a lot of fun. Do you mind me asking how much that set you back?

3. Raquin 215mm with a really small handle of old micarta (thanks @bryan03!); it's his KT grind, and the knife weighs in at a whopping 240 grams, neutral balance point due to heavier than normal handle. Gorgeous.

Damn, that is a nice looking knife. Been looking at Bryan’s work lately and really digging it.

1. Watanabe custom - Blue 2, soft iron cladding, 250x60mm; no handle specified, going to get it thinner then put a nice handle on it. Includes the worlds longest tang free of charge.
2. Kemadi cleaver (thanks @bruce8088) with Bulat, ironwood handle, and saya; I understand it to be the first cleaver made my Kemadi, cool.
4. For the tactical crowd, a Microtech Troodon Carbon. XHP steel, double edge. Sweet EDC.

Time to get cutting.
View attachment 81218
Is it bulat core or full bulat?

@thebradleycrew can I get a wat choil shot?
For sure. See below. I didn't mention it in the post, but this is 339 grams with no handle. Take that for what you will. I'm going to do some mid-knife thinning (it's really thin behind the edge as you'd expect).
IMG_2631.jpg
The iron cladding is heavier than the stainless (which I know you know) and the knife has a very thick neck/spine almost more Kato like.

Time to get cutting.
View attachment 81218
i thought that was a peeler for a second until i took a second look, lol

Back