Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, today was just a really good day. Four new arrivals:
1. Watanabe custom - Blue 2, soft iron cladding, 250x60mm; no handle specified, going to get it thinner then put a nice handle on it. Includes the worlds longest tang free of charge.
2. Kemadi cleaver (thanks @bruce8088) with Bulat, ironwood handle, and saya; I understand it to be the first cleaver made my Kemadi, cool.
3. Raquin 215mm with a really small handle of old micarta (thanks @bryan03!); it's his KT grind, and the knife weighs in at a whopping 240 grams, neutral balance point due to heavier than normal handle. Gorgeous.
4. For the tactical crowd, a Microtech Troodon Carbon. XHP steel, double edge. Sweet EDC.

Time to get cutting.
View attachment 81218
how bad is it that I thought the tactical knife was a potato peeler? Gorgeous knives, I love that Raquin especially.

Well, today was just a really good day. Four new arrivals:
1. Watanabe custom - Blue 2, soft iron cladding, 250x60mm; no handle specified, going to get it thinner then put a nice handle on it. Includes the worlds longest tang free of charge.
2. Kemadi cleaver (thanks @bruce8088) with Bulat, ironwood handle, and saya; I understand it to be the first cleaver made my Kemadi, cool.
3. Raquin 215mm with a really small handle of old micarta (thanks @bryan03!); it's his KT grind, and the knife weighs in at a whopping 240 grams, neutral balance point due to heavier than normal handle. Gorgeous.
4. For the tactical crowd, a Microtech Troodon Carbon. XHP steel, double edge. Sweet EDC.

Time to get cutting.
View attachment 81218
I wouldn’t call that a bad day...

Amazing knives! Ikeda 210 mm honyaki

Attachments

• 76B66FE8-93D1-46A1-A7F8-EC8CFD2F5707.jpeg
    76B66FE8-93D1-46A1-A7F8-EC8CFD2F5707.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 42
All of them - the mazaki looks amazing - don’t know where to buy one that is 2020 stock- he is improving so much each year from what I gather

Anyone grab one of the 2nd batch of Kamon production knives? Interested to hear how they are once received.

how is it - a daily? a laser? heavy in the hand?

It is not a laser, weights around 250gr and has a distal taper and aggressive S-grind. For my hand it feels a lighter/nimble knife than you could think based on weight. It has the very thin and pointy tip which I am getting still used to. I don't use it daily, but I enjoy it every time I use it. I try to rotate my knives as much as possible(I'm a home cook) one knife might get used 1-10 times a month...Based on this knife, I strongly recommend Bens work and he is an great guy to deal with.

My Denka gyuto direct from the Man himself landed yesterday. It's a big boi. Has been sitting in a Tokyo post office since April 20th - so just over a month from placing the order to delivery. I figured I would be waiting much longer due to covid delays.

275mm x 58mm, 284g -

I can't believe how well balanced and nimble this knife feels. Balance point is right on the second to last kanji, bang on for pinch grip. This is the first TF I received directly that wasn't screaming sharp out of the box. Sharpened and used for dinner last night. The knife is motherfu!#ing Godzilla - just destroys everything in it's path.

My Denka gyuto direct from the Man himself landed yesterday. It's a big boi. Has been sitting in a Tokyo post office since April 20th - so just over a month from placing the order to delivery. I figured I would be waiting much longer due to covid delays.

275mm x 58mm, 284g -

I can't believe how well balanced and nimble this knife feels. Balance point is right on the second to last kanji, bang on for pinch grip. This is the first TF I received directly that wasn't screaming sharp out of the box. Sharpened and used for dinner last night. The knife is motherfu!#ing Godzilla - just destroys everything in it's path.
So shipped April 20th and EMS service was put on temporary hold to USA April 23rd. Hopefully this means they are getting through the backlog and will resume EMS service again in the next week or two.

Great looking Denka. I love the orange 'patina' some of these blades get in the Kurouchi

Great looking Denka. I love the orange 'patina' some of these blades get in the Kurouchi

I actually was wondering about that this morning and was going to post a separate thread. Do you know why this occurs? In the direct sunlight coming in it was very noticeable. My Denka santoku has it too and I see it in pictures online of other Denkas. Even have seen threads where folks thought it was rust (hello, stainless cladding?). I think it looks really neat.

It's an excellent knife. Another TF with a perfect, thin, even grind. I'm sure there will be some low spots on the blade road like every single other Jknife but I don't see or feel anything deep in the slightest. Straight as an arrow down both spine and edge. Very even cladding line on both sides - forging accuracy is on point. All of my TF's have different profiles and they have all been awesome. Great service as always from Gaku at TF, knife came gift wrapped and came with extras (a tenugui this time).

I actually was wondering about that this morning and was going to post a separate thread. Do you know why this occurs? In the direct sunlight coming in it was very noticeable. My Denka santoku has it too and I see it in pictures online of other Denkas. Even have seen threads where folks thought it was rust (hello, stainless cladding?). I think it looks really neat.
I think its a type of oxidation, maybe not in the steel per se, but on the outer 'skin'. I wouldn't classify it as traditional rust. Its doesn't rub off or leave orange marks on towels when wiped. It doesn't get worse either over time. I think it adds character and would choose an example with it over one without.

@M1k3 Naw this is different. It's a reddish orange color underneath the KU finish. It comes like this brand new. I don't see it on every Denka but a pretty fair amount. Here's a pic from the web that illustrates:
1590083456498.png

Maybe the TF KU is a layer of steel/iron coated over stainless cladding?

Back