Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice that they’re north of 50 as well, my 240 is right at or juuuust south of 50 iirc I’ll have to pull out my 210 and what the dif was on that one as well. @Corradobrit1 youbsaid yours was 186g? Also burnt?
Nope. My 210WH with burnt chestnut handle is 204g almost 20g heavier than most other 210's I've come across. The 6+mm spine at the handle probably accounts for most of that. The chestnut handles themselves aren't especially heavy at only 40g.
Funny enough its the same weight as my 210WH Ku which feels heavier with a more blade forward weight bias. The brushed version is so perfectly balanced in hand.

Last edited:
The 3 Katos prior to the 3 I’ve used in the last month I didn’t enjoy. And I spent many years holding a grudge.
But they were much heavier and thicker. My old 270mm was 300 grams for reference.
And now? Reborn Kato lover? What are your initial impressions vs the pass around STD?

Huh? I love the kato standard. Somebody should sell me theirs.

My impressions of kato prior to this month were from 2013, so don’t really have anything to say that’s very approximate other than too thick and heavy. I know atleast 2 of my old ones had 10mm thick spines.

I was telling labor of love I stumbled upon the Kato a couple days after he got his. I bought it not knowing what I was going to do with it. Considerations were stash it under the bed and look at it from time to time, pass it on to one of the many I know are looking for one or just use the hell out of it. Now that I have it in hand I have no choice but to use it :D. Will report back with thoughts soon.

I was telling labor of love I stumbled upon the Kato a couple days after he got his. I bought it not knowing what I was going to do with it. Considerations were stash it under the bed and look at it from time to time, pass it on to one of the many I know are looking for one or just use the hell out of it. Now that I have it in hand I have no choice but to use it :D. Will report back with thoughts soon.
Bravo

My impressions of kato prior to this month were from 2013, so don’t really have anything to say that’s very approximate other than too thick and heavy. I know atleast 2 of my old ones had 10mm thick spines.

Whao, 10mm spine on your old ones! My 240 Kato WH has a 5mm spine.

IMG_3418.JPG

that's massive, the thickest one I have held had a 6mm spine

Normally I’d say the spine thickness doesn’t have a direct effect on cutting ability. But you know how the Kato grind is-a slow suttle convex that starts very high. So the thicker spine pretty much meant thicker blade. Which isn’t a bad thing just not for me.
My mazaki from Carbon was like 8.5-9.5mm at the spine but Maz grinds are in such a way that their still quite thin where it matters.

Finally my order from SKS got in... almost a month folks, horrible shipping delays these days.

I'm glad I received the Atoma 140, my stones need a good clean.

But now this showpiece... 300mm Takeda Honyaki

IMG_5005.JPG
IMG_5009.JPG
IMG_5010.JPG

:D

Higonokami.

Cute price, cute friction folding knife, and a different steel to make up for the ache buying a new knife in a steel I already owned... Always was wary about buying a knife made from SK carbon, but this was a cheap fun way to experience it.

What’s happening to the FM? Looks more beefy than my Toyama

What’s happening to the FM? Looks more beefy than my Toyama

According to their Instagram they changed the design when they introduced the new sharpener. They are taller, with thicker spines and than previous Fujiyama FM, hamaguri ground and now have a stamp in recognition of the new sharpener. I am really digging the direction they decided to go with this line.

Yeah I’m really happy with this one. Can’t wait to test it out and get some patina going 😎

Back