Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the original thinning, I haven't seen what has been done since

Ah, I see. I don’t think labor did anything to it. @Dendrobatez did some work on it when he got it originally, but I think he just polished the bevels. I really went to town on it a couple weeks ago, though, and evened out the awful patented TF grind.

Munetoshi Petty, Cleaver and Silverthorn 6"

Attachments

• 20200627_132038.jpg
    20200627_132038.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 53
Ah, I see. I don’t think labor did anything to it. @Dendrobatez did some work on it when he got it originally, but I think he just polished the bevels. I really went to town on it a couple weeks ago, though, and evened out the awful patented TF grind.

Ya, i never thinned the knife. Just removed enough metal to get rid of the original grind marks, not a fan of the low grit bevel finish TFs have.

Hitohira Tanaka - Yohei 240 Kasumi Gyuto
Aogami #1, iron clad, Zelkova handle
226mm edge, 49mm at the heel, 171g.

View attachment 85259View attachment 85260View attachment 85261

Balance is a little forward from what I'm familiar with, but very pleased so far. Fit and finish is impeccable. Imported from Strata Portland, they answered all my questions promptly and were super helpful.
I love this knife I almost got it, but it was a choice between Tanaka Kyuzo,, Togashi, and Tanaka Yohei - I went with the Stainless clad Togashi instead, but am still hankering for this one

Desperate to hear your thoughts!
I only got it yesterday, but initial impressions are that it is a very good knife. From what I've been told HRC around 63-4, the steel is very tough and should hold an edge well. I prepped a meal last night and the knife basically falls through soft vegetables, and cut thick carrots lengthwise with no wedging and surprisingly little effort. Tip is very thin, the geometry works for me very well- feels very nimble for a biggish knife and OOTB it was SHARP.

Edit: Steel is not at all reactive, not sure whether it has been etched but no signs of reactivity when cutting onions and a lemon. Prepped another meal (more carrots, broccoli, cauliflowers, brussel sprouts) and am really liking using it. I may sell off some knives that I'm not going to reach for now this is on the rack.

Last edited:
I have been eying those blue takada’s. Love the profile but the 240 would be too short for me. Need a 270. So far only seen them in white. I want to get to MTC again i’m just kind of hesitant to take the train from CT.

Back