Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
240 Kochi w/ machi.

77F08018-B3A6-4320-A89D-BB194B9377F1.jpeg

View attachment 88305
Some unknown maker, guess he’s a young guy and this is his honyaki. Looks good so far, gonna open a can of tomatoes later with it to see how the edge retention is.

I happen to know of this maker, Trent of Astroid Knives. Decent guy once you get past his foul demeanor and off-putting hygiene. I believe he is on hiatus from knife making and focusing on his passion: pizza box folding.
I may be wrong about some of these details though

I'm fasciated by how knives from the same workshop evolve. Top is the Kochi I got yesterday; bottom is a Kochi circa 2013. The newer one I have measures 239 x 51.5; older Kochi is 243 x 53.5. Newer profile much pointier and the beefy bullnose-like silhouette of the older one. Older Kochi is heavier, more blade heavy. KU on newer is cleaner, less rustic. Both good, but considerably different.

IMG_5385.jpeg

IMAGE 2020-07-26 11:16:52.jpg

I happen to know of this maker, Trent of Astroid Knives. Decent guy once you get past his foul demeanor and off-putting hygiene. I believe he is on hiatus from knife making and focusing on his passion: pizza box folding.
I may be wrong about some of these details though
Sounds about spot on. I’m hoping to separate ‘the man from the work’ to give it a fair handshake so to speak. But as the old saying goes- how you do something is how you do everything- his pizza box folding skills took him to the Vegas International PBF competition 3 years running, sooooooo......

Takeshi Saji Aogami Super 240 hammered kuro-ichi (?) finish gyuto. Surprisingly solid knife due to all metal in the handle. Need to take it to the stones to get the real performance that Blue Super edge can deliver, OOB edge is a bit underwhelming.View attachment 88036
Beautiful knife, all the better with the super blue steel. What kind of wood is the handle made from? I went for one of his colored Damascus gyuto's with the bone handle. I suspect that generally the knives aren't honed to maximum sharpness before being shipped. It's a safety issue. The customer get's to do that.

I'm fasciated by how knives from the same workshop evolve. Top is the Kochi I got yesterday; bottom is a Kochi circa 2013. The newer one I have measures 239 x 51.5; older Kochi is 243 x 53.5. Newer profile much pointier and the beefy bullnose-like silhouette of the older one. Older Kochi is heavier, more blade heavy. KU on newer is cleaner, less rustic. Both good, but considerably different.

View attachment 88382
View attachment 88383
How do the thicknesses of the blade compare? It may be the old adage, "The old stuff is better."

How do the thicknesses of the blade compare? It may be the old adage, "The old stuff is better."

I can't use that adage in this case. They just have different characteristics and feel to them when using, essentially the same, but subtle differences. Older was thicker outta the handle, but still thin behind the edge; newer a smoother, less rustic KU finish; older more blade heavy; newer slightly more nimble, etc.

1595829021121.jpeg

Well, this was supposed to be from Bernal’s Juneteenth sale but there were some complications. A month later and this gets to me from hongkongknifeguy via FedEx in 40 hours.

1595836571999.jpeg

1595836761239.jpeg

I suppose I should have been a bit more careful. I did ask for photos and thought it all looked good to my untrained eyes, but alas it does live up to the TF rep: I can see a couple odd facets in the front 1/3 of the knife and when I check with a flat credit card I can see there’s a very slight wave in the edge towards the heel. I wouldn’t have noticed if it wasn’t for the thread about adam92s mab. Sounds like it’s something I’ll have to fix before thinning and possibly before any sharpening.
1595836193366.jpeg

1595836303056.jpeg

1595836702448.jpeg

Not sure how concerned I should be yet and trying to just enjoy it as the knife otherwise performs like magic. Super thin behind the edge and cuts very very well. Dispute it being rather thick before the grind near the tip, it gets so thin in the last 2cm this is certainly my new onion champion. I “needed a low maintenance almost stainless knife for a new job I hope to get one day” and I really wanted to see what the fuss was all about. I guess I got what I was asking for.

The front 1/3 of TF bevel on mine is concave grind. It’s not a low spot since it’s done on purpose, then transition to convex grind to the rest of knife, makes the tip section extra thin.

This is not easy to do, looks like yours had the attempts but didn’t fully execute the concave front/convex rear concept. But your KU shinogi line is very consistent, I think overall it’s a good TF grind.

Last edited:
Lovely knife👍
It really is! I see what the hype is about now. The F&F isn't the nicest I've ever experienced on the spine and choil, but overall it definitely feels like it's ready to do some work. I've only used it to cut up a few veggies so far, but it's a joy to use.

It really is! I see what the hype is about now. The F&F isn't the nicest I've ever experienced on the spine and choil, but overall it definitely feels like it's ready to do some work. I've only used it to cut up a few veggies so far, but it's a joy to use.
Looks like my stainless clad blue Toyoma 240 from JNS - I think weight is similar too. That Toyoma is a joy to use too!

• Love
Reactions: msk
Looks like my stainless clad blue Toyoma 240 from JNS - I think weight is similar too. That Toyoma is a joy to use too!
#WatoyamaGang #ToyanabeGang

I spent a lot of time going back and forth between which one to get. After enough reading, I came to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter 🤪 can't go wrong. haha

Back